Cabins on classic ships

Ravenne

Queen is never late everyone else is simply early
I've only sailed on the Dream and Fantasy, but I'm looking at sailing on the classic ships next. The Wonder, in particular, for Alaska. I usually get a 10A Deluxe Inside Room (family of 4, 2 of which are Disney adult ages) and we are perfectly happy with it. I was looking to do the same on the Wonder, but there seems to be a major shortage of those rooms. There's just aren't a whole lot of them, and what little there are, they're all in Forward. We've sailed aft and midship, but never forward. How's the movement in forward rooms on the Wonder? Is it pretty bouncy? Not noticeable? How does it compare to aft on the Dream class ships? Do the 10As sell out fast since there are so few of them? Also, with the Cat 10 rooms on deck 5 being right next to Oceaneer, is there a lot of noise and foot traffic or is it a non issue?

There are plenty of Cat 11 rooms, and normally we'd be fine with those too, but it seems those don't have the split bath, do they? That's kind of a must for us with 4 people. I'm guessing the 30 sq ft difference between Cat 10 and 11 is the lack of split bath?

Any other tips for room selection (not exclusive to inside rooms) on classic ships when one is used to the Dream class ships? Thanks!

We have only ever sailed on the Wonder, both times midship, Deck 2, OV. LOVE Deck 2 midship and can recommend the room and location. Good luck with your decision. How wonderful to sail in Alaska! Even our serving team said they are by far the best cruises!!!

We have only ever sailed on the Wonder, both times midship, Deck 2, OV. LOVE Deck 2 midship and can recommend the room and location. Good luck with your decision. How wonderful to sail in Alaska! Even our serving team said they are by far the best cruises!!!

Yes! That's the real sweet spot for cabins on the Wonder. We've done it several times, and can't wait to do it again. GREAT location.

You are correct that Cat 11 rooms on Wonder/Magic are standard inside rooms and do not have split baths. Stick with the Cat 10 and up and you will have a split bath. I will defer to other more recent cruisers for which cabins where are better.

Just off the Wonder this morning and grabbed a last minute room on deck 2 mid-ship ocean view. I'm mostly interested in the Caribbean so she was in Port Canaveral and it worked out great. My new favorite ship!

Anyway, deck 2 was wonderful. I've sailed the same room on the Magic and it was equally nice. Nice size window, very quiet in the evening and when docking I enjoy the sound of the engine. It was a very relaxing room.

We also had a mid-ship ocean view on deck 2 when we went to Alaska. It was a great room for the 3 of us. Very quiet and great views every morning from the huge window.

Are the rooms down there a little cooler because you are so close to the water?

Are the rooms down there a little cooler because you are so close to the water?

I can't comment for deck 1 or 2, but as someone whose cabin was under the water line, the only time I noticed my cabin a little cooler was in the Baltic, although, for me, the whole ship was a lot colder.

Also check the price for 2 cabins. Sometimes the cost of 2 cabins is about the same price. Especially since all 4 are adults.

Also, with the Cat 10 rooms on deck 5 being right next to Oceaneer, is there a lot of noise and foot traffic or is it a non issue?

I was a CM, but got a couple of nights on deck 5 thanks to an exploding toilet...anyway, personally I think it's a non issue. It was the quietest nights/breaks I've had onboard and I personally didn't like it because it was so quiet lol.
The entrances to the club/lab are right by the midship stairs and rooms are past fwd and aft stairs. Between the club and the stairs there's the nursery and bvt and between the lab and stairs are crew areas so that buffers off any noise.
The only foot traffic you should get is guests getting to and from there rooms. And if you're fwd, the odd CM getting to and from the crew areas.

Yes! That's the real sweet spot for cabins on the Wonder. We've done it several times, and can't wait to do it again. GREAT location.
What makes deck 2 the sweet spot and awesome? The lower the deck it seems like it's usually less desirable. What makes it the difference on the Wonder?

Just off the Wonder this morning and grabbed a last minute room on deck 2 mid-ship ocean view. I'm mostly interested in the Caribbean so she was in Port Canaveral and it worked out great. My new favorite ship!

Anyway, deck 2 was wonderful. I've sailed the same room on the Magic and it was equally nice. Nice size window, very quiet in the evening and when docking I enjoy the sound of the engine. It was a very relaxing room.

I'm so glad you mentioned this. I wondered about the noise level on Deck 2 now that Edge is down there. So noise, despite tweens abound, not an issue?

Now I'm considering deck 2. Which side would be better, and have a better view that's not the wall of the dock when in port? I noticed that port side is under the walk way for the lounge and to Parrot Cay. Is foot traffic noise an issue with those rooms? How's the noise from the laundry area?

Last edited:
I'm so glad you mentioned this. I wondered about the noise level on Deck 2 now that Edge is down there. So noise, despite tweens abound, not an issue?

Now I'm considering deck 2. Which side would be better, and have a better view that's not the wall of the dock when in port? I noticed that port side is under the walk way for the lounge and to Parrot Cay. Is foot traffic noise an issue with those rooms? How's the noise from the laundry area?

Edge is no longer on deck 2. Like the Magic, it's on deck 9, where the arcade used to be.

We were on the Wonder in early February and stayed in a category 10A (deck 7 forward). We only felt movement on the last night but based on the comments in the Facebook group, the whole ship was feeling it.

We were on the Wonder in early February and stayed in a category 10A (deck 7 forward). We only felt movement on the last night but based on the comments in the Facebook group, the whole ship was feeling it.
We were on deck 8 on the cruise and it was really moving around while we were sleeping.

Edge is no longer on deck 2. Like the Magic, it's on deck 9, where the arcade used to be.

Oh, awesome. I thought it was moved down to deck 2. What's in the place of Edge these days?

Oh, awesome. I thought it was moved down to deck 2. What's in the place of Edge these days?

It got moved in dry dock.
I believe they added in more staterooms...although, if it's like the Magic, the doors are still there, but they go to no where lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter