C25K! Anyone else in?

willonlyflytodisney

Mouseketeer
Hey guys,

I thought there was a thread awhile back for people doing the Couch to 5K program but I can't seem to find it. So, I thought I'd start one myself.

I've always dreamed of running a race since I was younger but always thought I was too fat to do it. But, I'm doing Couch to 5K in hopes of fulfilling my dreams someday!

More info on the C25K program here

I guess if there are people still doing the program, we could make a list here of where everyone is along the way.

Anyway, my goal is to run a 5K on April 18th in Boston.

What's your goal?

Hello,
C25K is a great program, very do able. I recommend the c25K podcast (search couch to 5k) in itunes. It is music which the author / podcaster talks over to tell you when to run/walk. The music is decent and changes tempo when you do.
I started c25k in Spring 2008, ran my first 5k in July 08 and just did my first marathon Sunday. It is VERY cliche, but if I can do it anyone can.
Best of luck to you:thumbsup2

Does the podcast start with the 5 minute warm-up or does it go right to the "wogging" part?

:wave2: Hi! It's my first time posting over here, so I'm a little nervous. I feel like I'm outing myself in the diet/exercise world that I am normally pretty tight lipped about.

I'm on week 3 of the c25k. I've been exercising regularly since Mother's Day last year (mostly spin and step classes) and have lost between 25-30 pounds. Sadly, I have about another 20 to my goal weight. :rolleyes:

A couple of months ago, my very inspirational spin instructor made some comments during class about chasing our dreams, challenging ourselves, etc. and used running a race as an example. I had read about the c25k program over here (while looking for weight loss inspiration) and started thinking about maybe trying out the program. DH has always joked that I should have been an Olympic walker...I have a very fast walking pace normally! I also noticed, after a couple of months of regular cardio exercise, that my cardio endurance was much better than I ever imagined. I started to think that maybe I would enjoy running...something I never had dreamed of before.

I decided to hold off a little bit before starting, mostly because I wanted to get my weight down a little more so I wouldn't kill my knees. The goal of starting the c25k program has actually been a great inspiration for weight loss for me! I also received a heart rate monitor for Christmas and have had a lot of fun playing around with it since I started the program.

Anyhow, the first 3 weeks have gone better than I hoped. I've been following a lot of the marathon and half marathon threads with interest...so many motivational stories. I'm not really sure where c25k will lead me, but time will tell!

I'm going to start the C25k program on February 1st. I would like to start it tomorrow but I have Lupus and I need to get my doctors permission to start the program. My doctors appointment is at the end of January. :)

My goal is to run a 5k in July during my town's annual festivities. I used to help organize the festivals' 5k, this year, I am going to run it!

I'm in!! What day is February 1st? I can start that day. The podcast sounds great, I was trying to figure out what to do to know when to change from walking to jogging (or picking myself up off the ground!)

I'm in too. I did Day 1, but haven't made it any further. I'm going to start again when my new WW week starts, probably on Sat. morning after my meeting.

Hola y'all! Tomorrow I do W6D3- 25 minutes :scared1:! I actually began the program in September, made it through W5 and let life get in the way. So two weeks ago I drafted a friend to complete the program with me. We started at the beginning of W5 and we plan to run the Komen 5K at the end of February. I frequently lurk on the W.I.S.H. boards seeking inspiration but I've decided to peek my head out. Good luck to everyone!!! pixiedust:

Hola y'all! Tomorrow I do W6D3- 25 minutes :scared1:! I actually began the program in September, made it through W5 and let life get in the way. So two weeks ago I drafted a friend to complete the program with me. We started at the beginning of W5 and we plan to run the Komen 5K at the end of February. I frequently lurk on the W.I.S.H. boards seeking inspiration but I've decided to peek my head out. Good luck to everyone!!! pixiedust:

well it's great to see your head!:rotfl: Congrats on starting back up!

Sounds fun! I'm kind of editing my own set up as I go along. I'm walking 5, run 2, walk 2, run 3, walk 2, run 2, walk 2, run 3, walk 2, run 2 and then walk 5 minutes at 6mph. So basically I'm around week 3, even though I've been on the program for about 4 months. I think perhaps I'm running much faster then intended or people on this program are amazing and can continue onto a new week every week! I stick with the same week for about a month! I'm about 2/3 to running a 5k in 30 minutes. I'm around 2.100 miles in 30 minutes, and my goal is 5k in 30. I don't really have a race that I need to be ready by, I'm just waiting to hit running for a full 30 minutes! Also, I use a treadmill.

I am doing this as well, well starting over with it :) . The plan is to run the Disneyland 5k with my Niece in September. So this with Weight Watchers I am hoping to be able to do it.

Week 6 Day 3- DONE! :cool1: Felt so good! Well, when it was over anyway. :lmao: I have been running for time only and I run outdoors on a trail around our neighborhood. Once I complete the 9 weeks and can comfortably run for 30 minutes, then I plan to work on improving my pace. As of now my pace fluctuates between 9:30 and 12:00 depending on whether I'm running intervals or doing the "long" runs. The longer the slower. :) Have to say I was pretty pleased with myself (and my running partner) today. We were throwing some high fives until we realized Weeks 7, 8, and 9 don't have intervals.:laughing: Good luck everyone! Couch taters no more-unite!

I want to run the Disneyland Half Marathon in September and I'm using this program to give me a structured beginning. I am on week one and I've done three days. I'm doing one more day tomorrow and then starting week two on Sunday. I am using the iPhone app and listening to an audio book while I walk/run. I love the audio prompts for when to walk and when to run!

Congratulations to all the couchers! I started C25K a year ago and did THE half marathon last Saturday. I lost about 20 pounds last year and am around 170 right now. To repeat the cliche, if I can do it.... I am slow (12:00-13:00 miles) but I can go and go.

C25K was a great way to start. Get the podcasts and get outside if you can. I know weather gets in the way, but for me getting outside is like candy. DGF and I started it to prepare for a 4 mile race and it worked! We ran the whole thing and there was no looking back!

Do it!

Ronda

I did the C25K in 2008 and kept running until I got pregnant.;) Then I switched to walking. Since my son was born last May, I have not gotten back into running again and I really need to. I have been doing WW and lost all the baby weight, :cheer2: but I need to get some exercising in to get my pre-baby body back. So we got a treadmill from my DH's grandfather who did not use it and this morning I did Week 1, Day 1. It went pretty well, but I an certainly not in the shape I was pre-baby. I am hoping it comes back soon!:rolleyes:

I was going to start the program on Feb 1st also. I was giving myself the month of January to walk every day to ramp up for it. So count me in the Feb 1st starting group!!!

I started Day 1 Week 1 this morning. I liked the podcast method a lot!! He puts the warm-up and the cool-down on there too and keeps encouraging you all the way.

I am going to check out that podcast when I get home. Is it free on itunes? Is it just called c25K?

How was everyone's first days/weeks? I am kind of ready to start but kind of afraid :scared1: too - that I won't be able to breathe, that I'll hurt myself...! But my family is doing it with me so I'm committed - actually I'd rather do it alone, but they are with me.:lovestruc

I did week 4, day 1 yesterday. I had to run for 5 minutes straight (twice) and I was amazed that I felt fine. :)

Good luck everyone else as you start!

I just started Day 1 today. I didn't run as much as I was supposed to but I tried. Where do I find these podcasts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter