BWV - Is it worth buying now?

KeepCalmAndCarryOn

charfinntastic
Having just lost our BLT through ROFR, we are doing some soul-searching and we realize that we truly LOVE Boardwalk, and that is where we want to stay.

I've been spending all day crunching numbers, and with dues and such, I am just not sure if the value is great for purchase or if we are better off aiming for renting points.

We are looking around the 150-200 point range, and maybe like $145-$155 dollar per point range.
I just am not sure if I am factoring in everything - but the dues at $8.08 per point add another $28k or so on - given how short the contract is (compared to others) I am just not seeing huge savings.

And please know, there is an emotional level at play here as well. We love this resort and it's where we stay almost every trip.

Thanks in advance for those additional considerations we can add to our mental circus.

If you love the resort, and don’t care about 2042, then that is the only factor that matters,

I own the resorts that I want because owning where I love was top priority to me.

DVC is too much money to not buy where you love...
That's our take on the issue.

We actually bought two direct VGF contracts at the off-sale price about 5 years ago and are still not the least bit regretful we did it that way.

That's what Resort ❤️ Love can do to a person.

So, I say abide by DVC Law #1: Buy where you'll most want to stay.

That's what makes it worth the chunk o' change you'll lay out. Trust your instincts and go for the one you know you love.

Having just lost our BLT through ROFR, we are doing some soul-searching and we realize that we truly LOVE Boardwalk, and that is where we want to stay.

I've been spending all day crunching numbers, and with dues and such, I am just not sure if the value is great for purchase or if we are better off aiming for renting points.

We are looking around the 150-200 point range, and maybe like $145-$155 dollar per point range.
I just am not sure if I am factoring in everything - but the dues at $8.08 per point add another $28k or so on - given how short the contract is (compared to others) I am just not seeing huge savings.

And please know, there is an emotional level at play here as well. We love this resort and it's where we stay almost every trip.

Thanks in advance for those additional considerations we can add to our mental circus.
Is it worth it? Absolutely, if that is what is important to you and your family. 20 years is still a lot of time to use those points at a resort that you love. BWV is in a prime location and ensuring access at 11-months is important.

There used to be a common mantra here on the 'Boards about "buy where you want to stay." That sentiment seems to have eroded over time to more of a theme of finding the best value of someplace that you're willing to stay if you can't get into your preferred resort. If love BWV and that is where you want to stay, then negotiate a good deal and buy it.

Agree 100%. We purchased where we wanted to stay: HHI, BRV and BWV.

We bought BRV because we got tired of using our HHI points to stay at BRV. We bought BWV because we really enjoy the BW area and the entrance at International Gateway. We even enjoy our WDW resorts when we don't want the hassles of the parks.

We reluctantly sold our BWV contract to help fund a new direct VGF contract. I will still try to go back from time to time. Really great point chart for standard as well, but I’m sure those won’t be possible to get at 7 months. You have to decide about the expiration. That was a big driver in our decision to make the transaction, as well as the one bedrooms not being so large for 5 people (our family grew during our ownership). But 18 years is still a long time and we absolutely love the ability to walk to two great parks.

"Worth it" comes in various forms so you'll have to decide that for yourself. Economically compared to other resorts with longer contracts and lower dues? Not a snowflakes chance in heck... If you love the resort and want to ensure that you have 19 years of family vacations and memories there without being slightly disappointed that you might not be able to book what you want when you want it? Then yes! 19 years is still a lot of time. And, as someone else noted, the point charts are awesome there. DH and I are in our mid 40's. We love BWV. We want to stay there 90% of the time. It's great for our teenage kids, too, as there's so much going on and we can take the skyliner over to RIV - which we also love. That said, I would NEVER pay direct pricing for BWV. Just couldn't even think about that. If you'll get the use out of the points, then I think there's a strong case for it. If it's just one of the resorts you want to stay at and are ok staying elsewhere then I don't consider BWV to be SAP.

If you love the boardwalk then buy resale there. I have owned at Boardwalk since 1999 and it was best decision I could make. I will be 92 when contract ends . The location cannot be beat and caters to all age groups especially young adults who love the freedom to spend as little or as much time with family as they choose. 20 years has brought us endless joy so don't think its too short a time. If you want to extend your contract or buy one with an extended date, you can do that at any time but why miss out on the place you love the most.

as others have said 20 years is a long time to enjoy boardwalk. My wife and I are waiting on Disney to load our points on a boardwalk resale we got. Disney took Our first 2 attempts and we got tired of the rofr game and bought riviera direct for the blue card benefits and any future benefits that might come from owning Direct becasue we wanted a home resort with easy access to Epcot and Hollywood. After buying direct we still wished We had boardwalk because it is both our favorite resorts, so we luckily found an international listing and that was the trick for passing rofr and now we are fixing to have two home resorts, and Finally have our boardwalk home. So again yes it is worth buying where you really want to stay even if it is a 2042 expiration resort. wouldnt Surprise me if disney gives owners a chance to extend their contract but guess we will find that out in the next 20 years. I am surprised at what boardwalk and beachclub are selling for direct, especially beachclub but guess a lot of others love the resorts as we do. Good luck on your decision.

I don't say this often, but if this is what you want, then do it. It's not going anywhere, you are in no hurry,

I would argue BW/BC are pretty close to renting, but that's making a lot of assumptions. If you want to run the clock out on BW, do it. If you can get a value room, that makes up the difference.

I'm a straight up math nerd, and just told you to do it. But you need to book value a few times.

I crunched the numbers too - I own two Poly contracts but always wanted to stay at the BW. Finally back in February I found a great deal on a 50 point contract. Those 50 points today got me 5 nights in a value studio next May and I cannot be more excited. The rack rate was over $3k for those same 5 nights when I priced it out after I booked.

Just do it - follow your heart!

I crunched the numbers too - I own two Poly contracts but always wanted to stay at the BW. Finally back in February I found a great deal on a 50 point contract. Those 50 points today got me 5 nights in a value studio next May and I cannot be more excited. The rack rate was over $3k for those same 5 nights when I priced it out after I booked.

Just do it - follow your heart!
That's a great point! You don't need a lot of points. Plus, as of the last few weeks, Disney is passing on the BWV contracts. I got mine at $125pp. I've seen several at like $134pp pass. Those are 200+ pointers, but still... it makes the math work a little better.

We lost a BLT contract and took it as a sign to buy where we really wanted to stay. Bought BCV in 2016. No regrets.

If you love the resort, and don’t care about 2042, then that is the only factor that matters,

I own the resorts that I want because owning where I love was top priority to me.

DVC is too much money to not buy where you love, if there is a resort ro two that fits that bill.
You're right, buying a resort one doesn't like is a big waste of money. But I think BWV and BCV have very high prices, to the point that the savings of owning might not be enought to justify a purchase.
I passed on BWV 10 years ago because I wanted a longer contract. It confounds me that BCV and BWV still have such a high price with less than 20 years left.

We just closed on Beach Club at $140 per point a week ago. It slightly edged out BWV for us but really was a toss up. So obviously I think it is worth it.

I think you are slightly high on your price per point range. It is a bit of a buyers market currently and you should be able to find $135-150. Remember just because it is listed at a certain number doesn't mean you can't make an offer.

I think you are slightly high on your price per point range. It is a bit of a buyers market currently and you should be able to find $135-150. Remember just because it is listed at a certain number doesn't mean you can't make an offer.
Agree - we bought BWV at $125 and the ROFR board also shows some in the $130pp range. They seem to be passing on them as of late. It's all about timing.

BWV is not going to magically disappear in 2042. We just don't know what is going to happen.

Your BWV points will cost you approximately $16 per point to use, give or take some factors. How much per point does it cost to rent? I'm assuming slightly more.
SO, is it worth it yes... major savings... not really. You will save some money over 20 years but not as much as if you bought at a more economical resort. The trade off is you get to stay where you want to stay for the next 20 years.
Would I do it... of course.

Your BWV points will cost you approximately $16 per point to use, give or take some factors. How much per point does it cost to rent? I'm assuming slightly more.
SO, is it worth it yes... major savings... not really. You will save some money over 20 years but not as much as if you bought at a more economical resort. The trade off is you get to stay where you want to stay for the next 20 years.
Would I do it... of course.
Correct and the standard benefit of DVC still applies. rental rates will go up as well as rack rates. Locking it in now increases your savings over the lifetime of the contract.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter