BWV for nine days! Kudos and complaints.

DVCajun

<font color=red>If you believe in Magic you belong
We just returned from a nine day stint at the wonderful Boardwalk Villas. The Boardwalk was lovely, as always, and the weather cooperated beautifully, staying in the 80's most of the time, with only a few sprinkles on one day.

There was scaffolding on the part of the Boardwalk over Thimbles & Threads, but it didn't detract from the view as much as you would think. Maybe because we spend most of our time on the other side of the Boardwalk, eating breakfast in front of the bakery or walking back and forth to Epcot. We didn't make use of the pathway to MGM-- the walk is just a bit too long and the temptation of an air conditioned boat too strong. It was just hot enough to make you appreciate air conditioning when you went back inside. My DH insisted it was hot as hades, but he's extremely hot natured so I ignored him.

One incident simply astounded me. We knew it was trash and towel day, but we were checking out the next day and decided to forgo since they hadn't gotten to our room while we were out that morning and when we returned it was time for DS's nap. So we hung the "Privacy Please" sign on the door and put DS down for his nap. We had placed his crib in the little nook right inside the door of the studio-- it was the perfect size, and when we also placed a chair draped with a towel right next to it it created a little bedroom from which he could not see us. It was ideal. After he was asleep DH and I relaxed with our books. To our shock we heard the door to the studio open and in walks a maid!! I scrambled off the bed (thankfully fully clothed), desperate to keep her from waking the baby (those of you with babies understand), frantically shaking my head and waving her out of the room. Miraculously, DS did not wake up, a testament to his exhaustion from touring the parks. I still can't believe she ignored the privacy sign. What's the point of putting them out if they're going to come in anyway? I shudder to think of what she COULD have walked in on! And that's not all-- an hour or so later, with the privacy sign still outside, someone knocked on the door! I had prudently used the inside lock that time, fearing a repeat offense. They called out that they had our towels, and I told them that we didn't need them, thank you very much. A little while later, housekeeping CALLED our room to tell us that a housekeeper was outside our door and wanted to service our room!

:eek:

I can only assume that the housekeepers take their duties VERY seriously at BWV. While I appreciate that, I also think their minds should be relieved once a guest has made it clear that their services are not required.

That was the only noteworthy event during our stay.

The only other complaint I have is that I didn't get a "welcome home" from the CM who assisted us with check in. :( Not a big deal to some, perhaps, but it means something to me. Oh well. I didn't mention it because it's kind of like that flowers thing-- it doesn't mean as much if you have to remind them. I might as well have said "welcome home" to myself.

We had a room on the second floor, the same floor as the lobby. That was nice as it meant that we didn't have to wait for the elevator. It was ready early, around noon, and we were very thankful as we arrived at 8 am. We enjoyed a standard view of the circle drive out front, which is actually not an objectionable view at all.

So that's a brief rundown-- if anyone has any questions, feel free!

I'm jealous! Are you going to post food reviews :). Can you tell I'm hungry? I emailed you back. A welcome home is always nice.

DVCajun....

Well, at least let us WELCOME YOU BACK HOME to the Disboards!!! :) :) :) :) :)

Or is that kind of like getting "day old" flowers! :D

Glad you had a good trip. While the overzealous maid service could certainly be a nuisance, it sounds like the weather cooperated completely and that you had a wonderful stay.

Funny...I had a similar kind of problem at Boardwalk & Wilderness.

I had had my first stay at Wilderness Labor day & decided to forgo Trash & Tidy since it was on the day before I checked out. Housekeeping kept calling & leaving messages. Later I was there & they knocked & asked. Then they called seemed a trifle shocked I didn't want trash & tidy (hey I'm one person...I don't think I quite made it through all the towels in 4 nights). For myself I was pretty annoyed at the excessive persistence...if I'm silly enough to leave the privacy sign up then that's a sign I DONT want the service...call once to tell me to call if I need service and forget it!

My next stay at BWV I thought I would be smart & switch trash & tidy to a more useful day. I came in the evening of the appointed day...nothing had been done. So I had to call & ask for it. Then I got another T&T the next day. Sigh.

I think they are touch too focused on the schedule & not what the purpose of the schedule is. But we'll see...only 60 days until my stay at OKW! Same situation...just a 4 night stay. I'm hoping to top off my grand tour of DVC housekeeping with a stay at BCV in November.

I was entering my room at VWL the same time as housekeeping for trash n towel. I took the towels from her (we had no trash) and she just asked me to dial some numbers on the phone. I guess they have to "check in" when they are done with a room.

Thanks, Granny... I'll take the day old flowers. ;)

Next time just place a phone call to housekeeping telling them to leave the towels outside your door.

I understand your annoyance but feel I need to point something out. Having the sign outside your door does not necessarily mean that someone wants to *go without* trash and towel service, it just indicates that they do not want it YET. We always put out the privacy signs in the mornings when we're in a hotel, but we fully expect them to come in and clean the room once we take the privacy sign down in the afternoon. Unless you call housekeeping and tell them specifically that you don't want the service, then hanging the sign on the door isn't going to be enough for them to know that you don't want it at all.

If they did start assuming that you didn't want it from the sign being up there a long time, then inevitably we'd have people getting upset because they didn't get their trash and towel day when they really had wanted it.

Glad to hear that most of the rest of your trip was magical. :)

:bounce: :bounce:

Please always, always use the inside lock - even WDW has thieves!!! People also seem to take babys more than they use too. Okay strange people - but you never know who is on the other side of the door.

Yeah, Jon, but she just walked in while the sign was still out there!! I understand what you're saying, and that being the case a phone call asking us if we wanted our towels would have sufficed. I actually didn't think about calling housekeeping (I will next time), but when I put out the "privacy" sign, I expect privacy! And at no time would I expect someone to simply walk into my room without knocking! Geez.

We had the same problem w/ a maid walking in a couple of years ago. I can understand your frustration!
I sent you a PM, I hope that you have the chance to read it?
Thanks
Doug

Another Question! Was there a DJ on the weekends on the Boardwalk? We really enjoy the DJ on weekend nights...the music, kids dancing, etc.....Thanks

I know the DJ you're talking about, and he's terrific. Unfortunately, he wasn't there last week. I do know the name and number of his company (talked to him the last time we saw him). It's Atomic Entertainment-- don't have the number handy, but if you need it I'll get it to you.

I'll check my PM's now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter