Buying from the USA, but they won't ship to Canada?

Babsy

DIS Veteran
Is there any way to purchase from the USA when they won't ship to Canada?

I'm in Manitoba and what I do is send stuff to Mikes Parcel Pickup. It's right over the Manitoba/North Dakota border. They charge $5 to hold your package for you. Which I think is worth it. Plus then since I'm already in the US I make a trip to Target. lol

HeatherLassell: Lucky you!!! I am in NL and have no access at all to the US border. I am only able to purchase online from the USA and am totally unable to receive anything from the USA unless they agree to ship to me.
Even then, it is often very expensive if they will ship. I once had to pay nearly $100.00 USD for shipping for one book!!! Exorbitant, but better than those that simply say we will not ship to you at any price.

So, I need a service that will give me a US address and forward ship the parcel to me, I guess. The only issue that I have is finding such a service. I am a bit hesitant, having never tried this before.

Have you used CBP?

HeatherLassell: Lucky you!!! I am in NL and have no access at all to the US border. I am only able to purchase online from the USA and am totally unable to receive anything from the USA unless they agree to ship to me.
Even then, it is often very expensive if they will ship. I once had to pay nearly $100.00 USD for shipping for one book!!! Exorbitant, but better than those that simply say we will not ship to you at any price.

So, I need a service that will give me a US address and forward ship the parcel to me, I guess. The only issue that I have is finding such a service. I am a bit hesitant, having never tried this before.

Have you used CBP?
We've used CBP many times but always picked it up from them. Never had them mail it but their other service has always been wonderful.

There are many services (forwarding addresses) that do what you like; however, I have noticed that some retailers say they won't ship to a forwarding service.

I believe Shippsy will accept shipments from the US and forward to a Canadian address. I’ve had Shopdisney items sent to them, but as I’m n the GTA I just pick it up from them

I would also suggest myusaddress.ca for forwarding. It is very popular with Eastern Ontario area; a Canadian company based out of Prescott ON with a US warehouse in Ogdensburg NY. We use it primarily for pickup (also $5 per package, plus a free bridge toll every few packages). They offer "push it North" service to clear customs and forward ship to you in Canada. We have used this during COVID, and it works well; a bit pricey maybe, but actually cheaper than the gas now for a round trip to the border. We have been very satisfied with the service and have been using it for several years and many. many shipments!

I signed up with CBP. Ordered stuff from the US and tried to pay. It wouldn’t accept my Canadian credit card and said contact your financial institution.

How are those who order from US getting around this?

I signed up with CBP. Ordered stuff from the US and tried to pay. It wouldn’t accept my Canadian credit card and said contact your financial institution.

How are those who order from US getting around this?

Some US retailers are not set up for Canadian credit cards. I have not found a way to shop at those places.

I've put in my Canadian CC number without problems - maybe try to put your CBP address as your billing address? that worked for me a few times

I've never had my card refused on a US order (usually use Rogers Mastercard, but have also used PC Mastercard and TD Visa). Do they offer an option pay with PayPal? That could get around it.

One work-around I've used for the credit card issue: sometimes the issue is the postal code check in the billing address.
Part 1 (if you've gassed up in the US, you may be familiar with this):
If your postal code is M5W 1E6, you will use the digits plus 00 or 01, so remove the letters and you get > 51600 or 51601. Use your real postal code digits. This is your billing Zip Code.

Part 2: Now the website wants to cross-check that with a location. So use the USPS Zip Code Lookup, "Cities by Zip Code". 51600 did not give a result, but 51601 gives Shenandoah, IA. This is your billing city.

I have used that method successfully to purchase an item from a US store that won't ship to Canada (had it shipped to our closest border town, where I have a post box).

The other work-around I have heard of is to have an alternate address (ie your post box address) registered with your credit card provider.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter