buying from disney or resale

d1sneyf4n

DIS Veteran
What is the difference? We are thinking more and more about buying DVC. I just priced out a vaca for 7 nights at the Beach Club in Oct and it was much more than I expected. We always had 40% codes when we have gone before. TIA

Short answer: buy resale.

Long answer: take all the time you need to understand all pro and cons about DVC. You should read all the posts in the DVC forums of the Disboards.
It's not only to understand direct vs resale, but also to be sure that DVC is good for you.

In 2009 we used one of those codes to get a villa at BCV for cash, and in 2010 we got the same deal, both for November trips. When we got the price for the same 2 bedroom villa for November 2011, without the code, we said "No way!" We bought a resale contract and promptly turned around and used it for a 5 night stay at Boardwalk at the end of August, and 10 nights in November (4 at AKV, 6 at Beach Club).

One thing to consider is that you won't be able to buy a resale contract right now and use it this year to get a week in October at Beach Club. It's quite booked already for F&W, and you would be at least 50-60 days from being able to use your points. You should be able to find another resort to stay at, but just keep this in mind.

What is the difference? We are thinking more and more about buying DVC. I just priced out a vaca for 7 nights at the Beach Club in Oct and it was much more than I expected. We always had 40% codes when we have gone before. TIA

There are several differences between direct and resale and there are pros and cons of owning a timeshare, even a Disney timeshare.

If you wish to be an educated buyer, then you need to spend some time reading the various posts here on the DIS. Some of the choices that you make when you buy can make a big difference in the way that you use your ownership.

:earsboy: Bill

I agree with all the previous posters. First, do your research and really LEARN DVC inside and out to be sure it's right for your family.

If not, don't buy it. There are many, many alternatives for great WDW vacations.

If DVC is for you...buy resale.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!