Buy from Disney or timeshare broker?

Sharper

Mouseketeer
If the price is close, I would prefer to buy from Disney. Can someone tell me the current costs of buying from Disney Vacation Club -- closing expenses, price per point, etc. and the incentives (I think I heard something about a five night free stay and/or discounted price for points?)

I have requested info from DVC via online form, but who knows when that will come.

Also, for those who bought resales from a broker -- were you happy with the deal and, if so, please share the name of whom you dealt with. THANKS!!!

I have bought from both Disney and The Timeshare Store (Click on the links at the top of this page). Shontell at the Timeshare Store was very professional and did a great job. I bought several years ago and the closing cost for a resale at that time was about $400 which I paid.

Disney is $75 per point right now (I think). The current special is for BCV and Disney pays you $5 a point bringing your cost to $70. Rumor has it this may expire soon.

I think the big issues in Disney vs. Resale are home resort and financing. Disney's interest rates are usually lower if you plan to finance. However, if you want BWV, OKW or VWL as your home resort you are going to have to go resale. For me resale was also cheaper even with the closing costs.

Can't give you too much info on a sale thru Disney since we went resale. Right now the price per point is $75 and they pay the closing costs. The current incentive is either $5 off the $75 price per point, or free nights in a WDW deluxe resort (the number of nights depends on how many points you buy). However, there have been a few posts indicating these incentives end tomorrow. There may be a different incentive come Monday if this is true.

You mentioned you requested info from DVC online. You need to make sure DVC is registered to sell BCV in your state, otherwise you'd have to go to Florida for your purchase. If, all things considered, the total costs of a Disney vs resale purchase were the same, buying thru Disney would be the way to go if you want to own at BCV. In addition, if you buy thru Disney you can make reservations right away. Disney also offers financing if you need it.

Now for resales. We purchased 2. One from Jaki at www.atimeshare.com (highly recommended and very helpful) and one from Lee Reid of Reid Realty at www.reid4florida.com (a little more hands off and not quite as attentive - but still a good transaction). We have been extremely pleased with our resales. The transactions took about 5 to 6 weeks from the time we had our offers accepted and we were able to make ressies. The price per point will be less than thru Disney, often significantly less (we paid $60 a point for BWV and $70 a point for VWL when Disney was selling VWL for $75). In addition, on a resale you may be able to find a contract with banked points. Both our resales had all or most of their 2000 points banked and all of their 2001 points available so we had a lot more points available to us right away than we would have had on a direct purchase. On a resale you generally pay the closing costs (about $400 - $500, depending on the size of the contract).

One big consideration is where you want to own. If you want to own at BWV, VWL or OKW, resale is your only option. The resort you buy becomes your home resort and gives you and 11 month reservation priority for that location. That can be very important. We prefer to stay at VWL the week after Thanksgiving. This year we closed on our resale 10 months prior to that week and we were not able to get ressies (we are waitlisted). We really need the 11 month priority for this week. The 11 month reservation window can be very important if you want to be able to stay in a particular resort during one of the more popular times. BCV is your only WDW DVC option on a direct purchase.

That's about all I can think of right now. I'm sure you will have more questions so don't be affraid to ask - the people on this site were great when we needed help sorting things out. Cruise the resale websites (the two I mentioned and The Timeshare Store that sponsors this site) to see what's available in the resale market. Remember that everything is negotiable and don't be affraid to make an offer below asking price (some resales have gone for as low as $58 a point). Try to find something with banked points and make sure there are no points borrowed. This will give you an idea of what you can get resale and then you can compare to whatever the current deal is thru Disney.

Good luck and happy hunting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter