But Where Are All The People??? -A September 2016 Trip Report - Update 4/4/17

caitlinnf

Mouseketeer
Hi! Welcome to my trip report. I am a long time reader on the boards, but haven’t done a lot of posting.
But guys, we just got back from such an incredible trip that I just HAVE to share and relive it with someone. So here I am!

First, the basics:

Who

30jk868.jpg

Caitlin (that’s me):
-Disney maniac and travel agent, so I get to put my powers of planning and trip obsessing to good use!
-This was my 7th trip to WDW, and I went to DL earlier this year
-Favorite Disney movie: I was a renaissance kid, so Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, etc are close to my heart.
-Favorite character: Belle. Bookworms unite! Also Chip and Dale.
-Favorite ride: Haunted Mansion and Everest
-Favorite Disney snack: Dole whip, carrot cake cookie, Mickey bar, Nutella fruit waffle…I could go on.

Ben:
-Was a bit reluctant about our first trip but is now just as hooked as I am!
-This is his 8th trip to WDW (he snuck in an extra with a friend this year)
-Favorite Disney movie: Now that Star Wars counts, that. But he is well versed in all of the animated movies too.
-Favorite character: Probably Chewie.
-Favorite ride: Tower of Terror
-Favorite Disney snack: Mickey ice cream sandwich and carrot cake cookie. He still laments the loss of the jalapeno cheese pretzels.

Bethany (8):
-This is her 5th trip to WDW
-Favorite Disney movie: The Little Mermaid and Frozen
-Favorite character: Ariel, Elsa, and Jasmine
-Favorite ride: Everest, Rockin Roller Coaster, and Space Mountain (my little adrenaline junkie)
-Favorite Disney snack: Mickey pretzel with cheese

Becca (6):
-5th trip to WDW
-Favorite Disney movie: This changes often. She loves pretty much all of the princess movies. And Pixar. And all of the new live actions…
-Favorite character: Cinderella, Anna, Mad Hatter
-Favorite ride: Big Thunder Mountain (which sadly was under refurb this time)
-Favorite Disney snack: Mickey pretzel with cheese

Greg (4):
-5th trip to WDW
-Favorite Disney movie: Also changes often. He really loved Zootopia.
-Favorite character: Anything Star Wars related. And Mickey!
-Favorite ride: Mine Train and Haunted Mansion.
-Favorite Disney snack: Anything with sugar. He loves Mickey bars!

*We also had some friends with us the first couple days of the trip. I mostly tried to leave them out of the report, but they appear in a few cute pictures. So just know if my kids appear with a seemingly random stranger, it’s all good ;)

Where:
This time around we decided that the kids were old enough (and tall enough) to make it worth a trip to the dark side as well. We are a Harry Potter loving family, so it was time! So we stayed for two nights at Hard Rock Hotel before moving over to the Art of Animation Lion King Suites for another seven nights.

When:
September 9-18th, 2016. Spoiler: HOT. MUGGY. RAINY. But totally worth it.

Why:
Do we really need a reason? Of course not! I will say that this time I decided to do a bit of research with the dining plan. We chose to purchase it and wanted to see how far we could stretch it (i.e. if it could cover three meals a day for our family). We also tried LOTS of new and new-to-us restaurants and had several new-to-us experiences as well.

Okay, that should cover it. Follow along as we brave the sticky heat to explore six parks, two resorts, and more food than anyone should be allowed to consume!

Day 1:Chapter 1- Four a.m. Looks Good on Us

I have to admit right now, I am NOT a morning person. Not even a little bit. But wake me up and tell me it’s time to leave for vacation, and I hop out of bed bright eyed and bushy tailed without a single complaint.

Well, maybe a little blurry-eyed.

And I don’t really know what busy tailed actually means.

…but I wasn’t complaining! Mostly because I was too tired to speak.

Anywho, we all woke up and got ready in a jiffy and my mother-in-law, who was kind enough to sleep over the night before and be our chauffeur this morning, drove us to the airport. At the crack of dawn we are only about 35 minutes away, so it was a short and easy drive. We got through security easily and quickly (thank you, security man who sent us through the wheelchair line because of our stroller) and got ready to board the plane!
15wcxfs.jpg

Do you see Becca's pose? Yeah...get ready for more of that. She is my most, um, exuberant child.

Since being a third grader is hard nowadays, Bethany’s teachers sent her with a ton of homework. She spent the entire two-hour flight working on it, but managed to finish the last problem right as we were packing up to get off the plane! She was so relieved to be finished and not having it hang over her for the rest of the trip. Of course, once she got back to school she was given even more make-up work, which she is still trying to finish. She was definitely jealous of her brother and sister who got to spend the flight eating snacks and watching movies.

ei9qp5.jpg

We made our way down to baggage claim and met our driver. Normally when we do a Disney/Universal split-stay, we use Magical Express and Uber. But since we had kids with us and needed car seats, extra space, etc., we arranged to have a driver for all three transfers we needed to make. It turned out to be an awesome choice as we always got where we needed to be on time and without any hassles.

We arrived very quickly at Hard Rock Hotel and checked in, and this is where I have to admit I didn’t take ANY hotel pictures on this trip. I promise that there are photos of pretty much everything else, but we were so excited to get settled in and on with the fun, it just didn’t happen. But I will say that we really liked this resort. We were in a standard garden view room. The beds were comfy and aside from the fact that we forgot it didn’t have a microwave (so some leftovers went to waste) and the somewhat claustrophobia-inducing showers, it was a really great place to stay. Being a five minute walk from the park was our biggest reason to stay there, and that was awesome.

So enough of that…we’ve been up since dark and we are hungry! Where should we go now?

Last edited:
Since being a third grader is hard nowadays, Bethany’s teachers sent her with a ton of homework.

My daughter just started third grade and it seriously is no joke! I feel like it is a huge jump from 2nd to 3rd! We will be having the same fate in Feb!

Can't wait to hear all about the trip!

My daughter just started third grade and it seriously is no joke! I feel like it is a huge jump from 2nd to 3rd! We will be having the same fate in Feb!

Can't wait to hear all about the trip!

Seriously, it's insane how different it is from 3rd grade! It's work dealing with the make-up stuff to go when the parks aren't insanely crowded, though.

Joining in on the fun too! Anxious to hear all about Universal Studios and Walt Disney World - we have never visited Universal Studios Orlando so hoping to go there our next visit in 2017!

Following along! We went to WDW last September and the weather was perfect. Hot, but not tooo hot.....from what you said and from what I have heard, this year appears to be a bit different! lol:sunny::scared:

Following! Just got back as well, and my lasting memory of this trip will be "sweaty", lol.

Joining in on the fun too! Anxious to hear all about Universal Studios and Walt Disney World - we have never visited Universal Studios Orlando so hoping to go there our next visit in 2017!

Hi! We really enjoy Universal. It will never replace our Disney vacations, but it is a great add-on!

Excited to follow along!

Welcome!

Joining in

Happy you're here!

Following along! We went to WDW last September and the weather was perfect. Hot, but not tooo hot.....from what you said and from what I have heard, this year appears to be a bit different! lol:sunny::scared:

Lol, yes this trip was definitely closer to the tooooo hot category. But we survived!

Following, count me in!
:surfweb:

Thanks for joining in!

Following! Just got back as well, and my lasting memory of this trip will be "sweaty", lol.

Oh my goodness, so much sweat!

Day 1: Chapter 2- “The Spinach is a Little Bitter”

By the time we got settled into the room it was nearing noon, and having only eaten granola bars and candy since 4am, we were ready to eat! We took a stroll down to CityWalk and ended up at…

1z6awww.jpg

Red Oven Pizza Bakery!

We had never eaten here before, which is pretty much the theme for this entire trip. We decided to split amongst us the Caprese Salad and the Rapini Pizza. In case you can’t read the menu above, that includes “Italian sausage, mozzarella, roasted pepper, rapini, and sharp provolone.” Oh, and waters all around, because with five people in a family, you have to take advantage of free ice water whenever you can get it!
qs62w6.jpg

We found a table and waited for our food. A little hot, very tired, and very hungry…but so excited to finally get our vacation started!

14dknxh.jpg

The salad came our first. Pretty typical for a caprese salad. Nice portions of decent mozzarella. I could have used more basil and more balsamic, but I’m really big on extra flavor. The kids didn’t really want any of this, aside from a bite of lettuce or tomato here and there. I’m pretty sure a couple of kids tried the mozzarella. I want to say Greg liked it, but by the time he decided he wanted more, it was gone J

Our pizza came out shortly after. They are fairly small, but our kids are not big eaters so we figured we could share and all get enough to eat without being overly stuffed. Now, we must have been really hungry, because it seems that I didn’t get a picture of the pizza! But it looked something like this. (thanks Google Images!)
n6bc6u.jpg

The kids immediately began picking off everything but the cheese. Ben said “the spinach is a little bitter.” To which I had to giggle, because it wasn’t spinach, it was rapini. He was the one who ordered, so I figured he knew what he was ordering! To be fair, it WAS a little bitter. But overall the food was tasty enough and fresh, and we were satisfied.

Last edited:
Seriously, it's insane how different it is from 3rd grade! It's work dealing with the make-up stuff to go when the parks aren't insanely crowded, though.

I have a third grader too and I'm not looking forward to the make up for our Feb trip. He has 6 tests next week!
Can't wait to read about your trip.

Ugh, that is one thing I'm not looking forward to with our 4th grader. Last time it was in first grade so no issues at all. Looking forward to hearing the rest. We're doing USO first too.

I have a third grader too and I'm not looking forward to the make up for our Feb trip. He has 6 tests next week!
Can't wait to read about your trip.

Six tests??? Poor kiddo. Growing up is hard.

Ugh, that is one thing I'm not looking forward to with our 4th grader. Last time it was in first grade so no issues at all. Looking forward to hearing the rest. We're doing USO first too.

It is definitely more of a pain the older they get. I know by the time she is in middle school it will be pretty impossible to miss so much without getting behind, so we are just enjoying it while we can. And I like doing Universal first. I've done it the other way before and I was so sad about leaving Disney that I didn't enjoy myself as much. Also I was already sick of all the walking!

Day 1: Chapter 3- Nap, Swim and Solo Time

Now that lunch was over, we evaluated the situation and made some plans. You see, we adults have season passes to Universal, but for this trip the kids only had 2-day tickets. We were originally supposed to fly in later this day, but had a flight change. So we suddenly had extra time, but already had the tickets and weren’t really interested in upgrading them. So, we made the following plan: I would go back to the room with the kids, where we would all nap for a bit (the early morning was catching up with us!) while Ben went into the parks for a few hours. Then he would come back and take the kids swimming while I headed into the parks. Not too bad of a plan if you ask me!

So the kids and I headed back to the room for a couple of blissful, quiet hours in the A/C. What did Ben do? Well, he had a few very important goals.

3097ghz.jpg

First up was Reign of Kong! It just opened this summer, and he was very excited to try it. When he came back to the room later that day, the first thing he said was “Yeah, we are NOT taking our kids on that ride!” But he really liked it and was impressed with how it was done.

Next on the list:

w0hqo8.jpg

The last time he was at Universal in June, the Hulk coaster was down. So of course he had to try out the freshly updated version. Twice :rolleyes1

xp7o5l.jpg

Lastly, he had to head over to Hogsmeade and indulge in one of the treats which we dream about when we are at home…butterbeer! :cloud9:He went for the frozen variety on this hot, hot day.

After those adventures, he came back to the room to send me on my way.

For my solo time, I decided to head into Universal Studios. I really only had one goal in mind; to hang out in Diagon Alley! But, I got distracted. Because, you see, it was REALLY hot, and right before you get to Diagon Alley there is a ride that just so happens to be enclosed in a building that is kept roughly at the temperature of a meat locker.

2ivy5hx.jpg

This one right here. (Again, not my picture)

Seriously, folks. If you ever find yourself feeling a little overheated, all it takes is a few steps into the Men in Black building and you will start to feel like a popsicle.

While I was cooling off, I decided to do the ride too ;) I really like this one. It’s like the Buzz ride at Magic Kingdom, only way, way bigger. And the guns work.

After doing my part to save the world, I headed on into the wizarding world and went straight for the butterbeer. Regular variety for me this time. It was glorious, but I had a hard time finishing it since I am used to sharing. Right after purchasing my lovely treat, I saw that the stage was being prepared, so I positioned myself for a show, and got to enjoy the talented Celestina Warbeck. I really enjoy the show. High energy and a lot of fun, and as a Harry Potter fan, I feel like she is pretty accurate to the book description!

2iqy9he.jpg

After my sweet treat I headed back to the room. When I got back, I was surprised to see that the rest of the family was already back from the pool. Apparently when they got down there, they had just stopped the family poolside activities and instead cranked the music up super loud. Also it was mostly adults down there drinking, and it was just time to go. The kids were also hungry, so they all went on a search for a snack while I took a shower. They came back after awhile and brought back leftover nachos from the poolside bar…but we didn’t have a microwave, so they never got eaten.

We all hung around the room relaxing for a bit. Our friends had taken a later flight (the one we were originally booked on), and had just landed. So we were waiting for them to arrive and then the plan was to all go to dinner together.

Any guesses where we were planning on eating that night?

Last edited:
Joining. Looking forward to hearing about a joint Disney/Universal trip. Thinking about doing that in 2018 and sounds like a good idea to do Universal first and then Disney cause I don't know if I could tear myself away if I went there first.

I love that you did solo trips to Universal. Sounds like so much fun.

We always go at the end of Sept/Early October and we sweat the whole time. It's always so hot but the parks are so empty it's just worth it. Plus we made the mistake of going in Jan once and froze the whole time. Being from NH I can handle being cold but I don't want to be bundled up in hats/jackets/gloves while in FL! I will gladly take the heat over that cold anytime.

My son started 3rd grade this year too and his homework tripled in size. I don't remember it being that drastic when my daughter moved from 2nd to 3rd but it probably did. She started 6th grade this year and it's a whole new world. I'm glad Bethany was able to get all her homework done on the plane so it wasn't hanging over her head the whole vacation.

Joining. Looking forward to hearing about a joint Disney/Universal trip. Thinking about doing that in 2018 and sounds like a good idea to do Universal first and then Disney cause I don't know if I could tear myself away if I went there first.
:welcome:
Universal first is the way to go for me. I'm super happy to be there, but not sad to leave because I'm looking forward to Disney!!

I love that you did solo trips to Universal. Sounds like so much fun.

It was on our last trip that we first decided to each take a couple of solo hours while the other had the kids, and it turned out to be a great way to get some different/personalized time in the parks, and also allow the kids to get a nap or early bedtime that they otherwise might not have gotten.

We always go at the end of Sept/Early October and we sweat the whole time. It's always so hot but the parks are so empty it's just worth it. Plus we made the mistake of going in Jan once and froze the whole time. Being from NH I can handle being cold but I don't want to be bundled up in hats/jackets/gloves while in FL! I will gladly take the heat over that cold anytime.

I don't mind when the parks are chilly but I totally agree that the heat is worth it for the lack of crowds!

My son started 3rd grade this year too and his homework tripled in size. I don't remember it being that drastic when my daughter moved from 2nd to 3rd but it probably did. She started 6th grade this year and it's a whole new world. I'm glad Bethany was able to get all her homework done on the plane so it wasn't hanging over her head the whole vacation.
I can't even imagine how much worse 6th grade will be. 3rd is enough of a stressor!

Following! We are also a family of five and heading to Universal next Jun. We booked the Deluxe Double Queen Room at HRH. It has the pull out soda and some extra space. Is that the kind of room you had?

I love that pizza place…we ate there a couple years ago and thought it was awesome!

Please tell me you headed to Toothsome and that you have LOTS of pictures!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter