Buena Vista units will take Disney name

crazy4wdw

Moderator - Restaurant Board
Buena Vista units will take Disney name

Andy Fixmer | Bloomberg News
Posted April 26, 2007

Walt Disney Co. will change the name of its Buena Vista entertainment divisions to Disney within weeks, people involved in the plans said.

Chief Executive Officer Robert Iger is seeking to simplify the company's marketing and reduce costs by narrowing most brand names to Disney, ABC and ESPN.

In February, Iger changed Touchstone Television production company to ABC Television Studio and Buena Vista Games became Disney Interactive Studios.

"They are trying to leverage the Disney brand as much as possible and not having all these disparate names," said Tuna Amobi, a New York-based analyst with Standard & Poor's. He rates Disney a "strong buy."

Buena Vista was the third-largest domestic film distributor in 2006 with $1.52 billion in box-office sales from Disney movies such as Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and Cars.

The name dates from 1953 when Walt Disney and his brother Roy Disney founded an in-house operation to sell the company's live-action and animated films to cinema owners.

Before Buena Vista, Disney's pictures were distributed by Columbia Pictures, United Artists and RKO Radio Pictures.

Named for the street in Burbank, Calif., where the studios and corporate headquarters are located, Buena Vista became Disney's name for divisions such as its music group and software publisher.

The change affects Buena Vista Distribution and Buena Vista Home Entertainment, said the people, who declined to be named because the change hasn't been announced.

"We are taking a look at our organizational branding so it aligns to the company's new focus on our major brands," Disney Studios spokeswoman Heidi Trotta said in a statement.

The company will continue to use the Touchstone, Miramax and Pixar film studio names.

Iger outlined his strategy at an analyst meeting in February at Walt Disney World in Orlando. Disney plans to rename a number of its businesses to "focus more on brands and build brand strength," according to a transcript of Iger's speech posted on Disney's Web site.

Les Moonves, the CEO of New York-based CBS Corp., is taking a similar approach. Since CBS and Viacom Inc. split in January 2006, Moonves has renamed the company's television production studio, outdoor advertising unit and radio stations, which had three different names, to CBS.

Well, I'm breathing a sigh of relief because the title of the OP made me think the new hotel/condo properties on the edge of WDW were going to be allowed to use the Disney name.

(If the actually are and I just missed it earlier please don't ruin my morning by pointing that out :rotfl: )

Whispers inside say it's going to be the 'Disney/ABC Studios Theme Park'. All of the film division names will be going away soon - Touchstone and Pixar - they will be released as "Disney". Adult content will fall under 'ABC'; 'Hollywood Pictures' may be used in the future to disassociate real stinkers like the upcoming The Invisible.

i don't like that
the whole point was to diversify so disney wouldn't have a monopoly on things.

The pixar name should stay. If the change that they will see a big hurt in the stock holders becasue to be frank, pixar sells disney does not.

It will be interesting to see if they do anything with publishing. Hyperion publishes George Carlin's books - that would be an interesting development to have his rantings published under the Disney name :lmao:

(BTW - I love George Carlin, just thought it made an interesting combo)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter