Budget Minded Cheap Hair Wrapping Find (Do it before you go...Only $4.97)

2angelsinheaven

Loves making dreams come true!
I was in Wal-Mart last night and I found the Conair Quick Wrap on Sale for only $4.97. It uses embrodiry floss which is only .24 cents a piece or like $4.00 for a whole mega pack of it. They also sell gold and silver kind too for $1.00, one package of floss does like 4 wraps... this kit came with three floss, beads, clips, machine and batteries... IT looks just like the kind you get done at Disney, takes only 1 minute or so for a long one and it's 1/4 of the price and you can use it again and again!! The lady said they were on sale at all Wal-marts. I know those wraps at Disney can get expensive thought this may help those on budgets (me included) be able to wrap your daughter's hair or your own, etc for way less... ::yes::
p25527b.jpg

This is what I'm talking about... here is a site that sells them for $32.00 Here

Well.... I hate to be a party pooper, but my DD and I have had less than stellar results using that and that other thing called "Twist-a-braid". It pulls and hurts sometimes and doesn't work as easily as it appears to. I have had better luck doing hairwraps on my daughter myself. I just use embroidery floss and do it by hand. It took a bit of practice, but it comes out pretty well. Just thought you'd wanna know!...............P

We have gotten two of the braiders......neither one worked. The one pictured above was our lastest try and it tangled my DD's hair and I ended up cutting it out! Maybe it's just me. I did get a book from Kaltz (something like that) that came with some floss and beads and I did it by hand! Looked fairly good and lasted until I cut it out. It did take 30 minutes to do though.

I bought the Klutz book also and have had good results with doing the hair wraps myself.

In fact, at our 4th of July BBQ, I did hairwraps for 4 girls and one of the moms!

They looked great.

I highly recommend the Klutz book

Julia

My daughters friend has this and she did my daughters hair fine. The girl is 10 so maybe only little ones can work it.

Originally posted by Julia M
I bought the Klutz book also and have had good results with doing the hair wraps myself.

In fact, at our 4th of July BBQ, I did hairwraps for 4 girls and one of the moms!

They looked great.

I highly recommend the Klutz book

Julia

I, too, bought the Klutz book and we do hair wraps ourselves now...it's mindless fun that I find stress-relieving! Plus, the thread is just ordinary embroidery thread...so you can go to Michael's or another craft store and purchase just about any color you can think of for about cheap, cheap, cheap. My DH even said that on our next WDW trip, I should set up shop next to the pool and do them for free for all those little girls whose parents' faces drop when they hear how much they charge to do them at the WDW stands.

Originally posted by Ibelieveinfairies
I, too, bought the Klutz book and we do hair wraps ourselves now...it's mindless fun that I find stress-relieving! Plus, the thread is just ordinary embroidery thread...so you can go to Michael's or another craft store and purchase just about any color you can think of for about cheap, cheap, cheap. My DH even said that on our next WDW trip, I should set up shop next to the pool and do them for free for all those little girls whose parents' faces drop when they hear how much they charge to do them at the WDW stands.

You are absolutely right, the thread is just ordinary embroidery floss. I told dd she could go and choose a bunch of new colors the next time it went on sale at Michaels (I think it might even be .10 each??)

Julia

I have no experience with the hair wrap thing, but we did have the Conair twist-a-braid machine -- it's awful. It tied my daughter's hair up into knots, and we almost never got them out. It went straight into the trash can, and I would not buy anything else from them that might have similar results.

Here's my really, really cheap suggestion:

At Wilderness Lodge I saw the hair braiders also sold pre-made "twists" with a lobster clip at the top. The idea is that the girl has a tiny braid put into her hair, then the string "twist" is clipped into that braid. They sold for about $20, which puts them in the same price range as the hair wraps BUT I think they'd last longer. They could be removed for hair washing.

The same things are available in the Girl Scout catalogs. They come in colors that match the Brownie and Junior uniforms.

Anyway . . . I promised a really, really cheap suggestion . . . you could make these twists yourself. You probably have embroidery floss in your house, and the lobster-clips would be very cheap at the craft store. Just braid them and pop on a couple beads. For the cost of one hair wrap, your daughter could have every color in the rainbow.

It seems like that would work, although I have never done it that way exactly.................P

Thanks, 2angelsinheaven, for starting this thread.....

I am going to learn a new 'fun skill' from it!! :wave2:

I guess my last post didn't go through. I used the Conair product where I work with some of the girls and it came out great, a little stiff but worked quick and easy. The only gripe I have is the bobbin or spindle you have to use, it should come with extra ones. The trick seems to be with the Quick Wrap is to let it "move" down the hair at it's own pace or else it skips sections or is too thick. We had good results. But from the directions on here it seems also pretty easy to do by hand. I may just print those and bring it into the girls at the house for a Saturday afternoon activity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter