Budget Buster of the Month

This was a bad month for us.

Dh got two speeding tickets a week apart. $465 total.

Today I took my kids to the eye doctor. Ds needs new glasses, I'm guessing that will be around $100 and dd needs new ones as well. We just replaced hers in March. Ugh.

Last month was a pretty bad month for us

birthday-$125

get AC recharged with freon $430

easter-$150 (we got my twin neices an easter basket since my sister couldnt afford one and we also got them easter dresses)

this month the only budget buster was that we sent my other sister $100 for food since they cut down her food stamps (she got that fixed though) and she called me crying cause she didnt have much food for her and my neice. she is pregnant to. so she got to spend $100 on food. but i wouldnt really call that a "buster" cause she is my sister.

Thank God you had the means to help your sister. That's a blessing for both of you.

Us too!!

A/C repair (needed new condenser coil) $1500
Sprinkler system repair (major leak) $75
refrigerator repair $100
One more repair worker to go - $?

Ugh!

You folks sure are posting a lot of central AC unit problems on this board. Maybe I will stick with my window unit. If mine breaks, I'll pull it out and toss a new one in for $100 or so.....

My budget buster was bad, but good.

Blew a headgasket in my work runner. I was quoted $900 to fix it. With 185,000 miles and rusting all to ****, I figured I couldn't break it any worse so I spent less than $100 on the gaskets and a timing belt and did it myself. Runs fantastic for the price I paid for the car, $20. No needing to replace the car for another 6 months now (I don't think it will pass inspection without some big money put into bodywork and other stuff.)

Expensive month for us, too!!
We had a couple of hot days in April so DH tried the A/C. Nothing. Got it checked out and it was toast. This was not a surprise as it was 27 years old, but still.
Hot water heater was also very old and a flood waiting to happen.
SO we got new AC and water heater along with a cold air return put in from basement to 2nd story as there wasn't one.
$4100 total. Ouch.
And now the AC in the mini van is not working right. Great!!

The week after we got home from WDW this month my car went in for its inspection and came out with $1058 in wheel bearing/brakes :headache:

Although looking at some of the May expenses on here, i'm going to happily pay my bill with minimal complaint :rolleyes1

Hope everyone has a better June!

Animal hospital emergency vet bill for cat on Monday morning 5am...

$352

blew the budget for the next several weeks - it will be a stay at home and don't spend money long weekend for DH and I.....

Gosh! After reading all of these replies I feel like I am lucky.
My garbage disposer bit the dust today and my DH cracked a filling eating pistachios so now a crown is in his future. But hey it looks like I had a great month compared to some. Hoping a better June for all of you!

The last three months have been sucking the life out of our bank accounts. We haven't been on a big vacation in several years. We committed to go -bought tickets, paid for a house rental---then everything starts to hit. Oldest dd broke her collar bone, youngest dd broke her arm and dislocated her elbow (had to have surgery and stay at the children's hospital for several days) $1000 in repairs to the Suburban. Just this week--one of our drainage pipes burst (well it had probably burst over the winter, but the spring rains have brought the situation to our attention) Our Air conditioner is not working and now my husbands car is leaking power steering fluid!!! Our vacation budget is shrinking quickly!!

We are still thankful for all that we have and the fact that we are all healthy, but boy what a hectic couple of months.

May hasn't been too bad, but we've reached the 100 degree mark, so the cost of pool chemicals will be skyrocketing. Not that the price will go up--although it could (prices are up about 20% over last year), but more chemicals are necessary to maintain the pool with our extreme heat.

That also means more electricity, as I've had to increase the filter to 6 hours each night--and most likely will have to increase it to 8 hours by July. *sigh* And we have higher summer electricity and water rates. *sigh*

Not unexpected, but certainly not welcomed! *LOL*

Let's hope everything else continues to run smoothly!

Well, not totally unexpected, but definitely a budget buster. I had my pay cut 15% and my hours cut 50%. A $25,000 hit for the year.

Great thread, it doesn't make me feel so bad about this month... My car was attacked in a Wal-Mart parking lot. I was in to get a few things, come back and the hood of my car had two huge gashes in it. They started at the bumper and went right up to the window, cutting through the hood! :scared1: I'm still not sure what happened.

The body shop was great and because it wasn't worth it to go through insurance (it's a used car so I only covered it for the basics) he repaired as much as possible without replacing it and found me a used hood. But it still cost $975!:headache: He said it looked like a semi or one of those trucks that's high off the ground had backed into me. People just suck sometimes!!

Let's see...

DH's volvo repair... $1200 (grrr, he didn't even call me, just told them to do the work..)
Brake repair to my van... $156 (not bad? keep reading...)
Necessary (for safety sake) balljoint replacement on my van... $356
Needed front end repair to my van... $3000+ :scared1: :mad: :sad2:
NO, we are not putting this kind of money into a 1997 grand voyager with 215K+ miles on it, which means...
Car loan... ???
Totally unplanned, although we knew that it'd happen sooner or later. Guess it's sooner! I JUST paid off last year's medical bills ($225 a month since 2/09, DH cancer scare, DD tonsillectomy, etc) and was SO looking forward to having my money stay in my checking account. Not gonna happen... sigh...

BIG credit card bill- airfare for 2 to Orlando (in august), deposit on vacation, tuition for Rockettes training course for DD, payment on past semester's dance tuition were all on there before the cars fell apart. Oh well.. I am onto another credit card cycle and have a lovely, zero balance to start destroying one more time!!

$5600 to replace the engine on my DH's truck.

The silver lining is that the truck runs like new (well it should, shouldn't it!) and we don't have to share my Saturn anymore. I now have a car I can drive while DH is at work! :)

For all of you with really large amounts, :hug:. May was Nickle/Dime Mom to death month. One thing after another. Can I have this, you forgot I had to pay this, but Mom everyone got one of these, Darn, I don't feel like cooking in the heat;), can we have ice cream, please, please, please??

It was so bad that I am embarrassed to go back to the no buy May thread. I am hiding out til June comes along!:rotfl2:

Aww, don't feel embarassed, we all have those months. (But if you read my first line on the No Buy thread it says I was embarassed to report too. I can relate!)

Well, after watching the abuse video from the Conklin Dairy Farm in Ohio, I have decided to stop supporting large farm factories and am going with local farms! I'm sick and tired of hearing about abuses at these places! It will be more expensive and hurt my grocery budget but it will lighten my conscience!

Doctor bills -
MRI
Office Visits
Shoulder Surgery
Physical Therapy
Lost time at work

For about a month or two now I have been hearing this rattling sound under our car. I am in the car with my DH and am like "Do you hear that?" "What?" he says? He comes home from work yesterday A.M. and says our muffler is hanging there by a thread! Luckliy we have a neighborhood mechanic who is pretty reasonable. The parts were about $6.00 labor was about $54.00 so $60 dollars spent this week that we really could use. I hear another noise and think it's the shocks. I know that is very costly.. Please pray for us lol!
We also have a $700 bill for my dd's adnoid and tube surgery along with a miriad of other medical bills.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter