Bucket List NYE at WDW with Platinum Plan - new 2/28 bonus post, wrap up, and COMPLETE

Absolutely loving the ability to live vicariously, through things I could never afford, in this trip report!! Great job so far! Seems like the trip of a lifetime.

You are my spirit animal.
Well I am certainly glad someone else gets my unique brand of weird :flower3:

Fittingly, I did end up moving to a province known for it's beef - which I love.
I love this also!! Bring on the beef!

I love the idea of Victoria and Albert's, but I'm so picky I don't see it being worth the money. I would love to surprise Luke with a reservation next year on our wedding trip, since he would love it, but I'm not sure if it would make sense for us. Can you customize the menu at all ahead of time? Luke has a mild shellfish allergy, and doesn't like lamb or really fishy-tasting fish, but other than that he will try anything. Then there's me...I will only eat pork, chicken, turkey and beef, and only if they are well-done (yes, even beef...).
I think you can completely customize the menu to your food preferences! When I was researching V&A's before our trip, I came across a review (not sure if here on the Disboards or somewhere else) where they had the menu customized for their child and it was still indulgent and perfect. I thought about telling them "no salmon, no tuna, no scallops" but I was feeling brave the day she called to confirm. I'm sure I could have told our server that as well when we were ordering. I can't even describe how impeccable the service is here - if you asked them to make you a fancy Mickey bar they might do it :rolleyes:. I wouldn't necessarily do this in the near future because it was just SO indulgent, but I would definitely recommend it for a special occasion. I would hate to overhype it though and not have it be the experience you are looking for on your honeymoon - only you can decide if it's the right speed for you and Luke!!!

Your meal at Tiffins looks fantastic (just a little too rare for me haha).
Oh it was absolutely fabulous! I highly recommend it. Again, not an "every trip" thing but Nomad Lounge might be... :rolleyes1

Just caught up! I am super jealous of your V&A experience. It looked absolutely amazing. I can't wait to try it myself! Your beef dinner at Tiffins has me drooling as well. I've been there for lunch but now I'm going to have to add dinner to the list.
Well I am almost ashamed to admit that we ate Tiffins for lunch. But we did eat what I would normally say are "dinner" entrees - and it is so scrumptious!

What a perfectly magical evening! You guys really know how to do it up at WDW :)

I soooo hope we can see fireworks from our room at WL in September!
Well we will NOT be repeating this kind of a magical trip any time soon! It was a once-in-a-lifetime type of magic and I am so glad we got to experience everything before the platinum plan went away. :cloud9: Whether you can see fireworks or not I think you are going to love WL. I hope! I can't say it's my favorite... AKL takes top honors, and I also have a soft spot for the Grand Floridian Villas (hence my DVC ownership :rolleyes1) but Wilderness Lodge is definitely up there. Agh can I go back now!?!

I just stumbled upon your trip report a few days ago. I'm so enjoying it! You had me "room dranks."
Well we love to have an evening drank on vacay and sometimes you just need to have one available without hauling it all the way down to the lounge :idea: thus the need to pack our own bar necessities! So glad to have you along!!!

I'm sure it is nice to live in the city. But yes, a house will be wonderful, as well. And yay, I got all the rhymes! Haha. I do understand about the anonymity needed, especially with teaching older kids. I teach first grade, so I don't have the exact same worries...but parents, though!
Oh gosh I hadn't even thought about the parents. The internet age is a scary thing! I think I would do much better with first graders than high schoolers. Woof!

Yes, I love a good nap. And I am really good with power naps. So I figure, pool/drink time, power nap time, then shower time = a good break!
This. Is. Perfection!

I actually plan to hit up Contempo one day for a cupcake or two...lol. I've heard they have some good ones.
We have actually not had any of the cupcakes there, I think in part because the cupcakes tend to be nicely packaged and in the refrigerator case near the single serve beverages. Meanwhile we're over at the grab and go pastry selection case like "Hmmm, I like that one and that one and that one..." :crazy2:

I have teaching and being a mommy to thank for my nightly wine....lol.
Well I have nowhere near such a heroic excuse so I will just say thank you again.

I think I may need to order a cheese plate from somewhere at Disney...though we aren't doing any signature dining so I'll have to really scour some of the menus. I love me some cheese and those sound wonderful!

All the fireworks look incredible and I bet that cruise was just breathtaking.
It was really a high note among a truly wonderful trip, so that is saying something. And our captain was adorable and perfect. I loved her :lovestruc

I have chills from those fireworks!!!!!!!!!

How are you ever going to top this trip??
I have chills too! Still. And maybe a few small tears. Wait, I'm not crying, YOU'RE crying!!

I doubt we will ever top this one with another WDW trip but it's always so nice to try new things. This summer we are going to Aulani, Kauai (for two nights), and Disneyland... :rolleyes1 that *MIGHT* top this crazy trip. We shall see!

What a great night! I am thinking of booking the Illuminations cruise in May - there will be 7 of us so the $300+ does not seem to bad.

We are also going to try California Grill brunch! I am beyond excited for that!
Honestly I think the fireworks cruise is one of the most worthwhile things that we did and one I would totally pay out of pocket for in the future. I love that it's an option for a party of 7 to enjoy together - but you better start calling if you're doing it in May!!! $300ish would be worth it for sure.

And California Grill brunch! Oh be still my heart. I can't wait to get back. About a month until I experience that glory again!

Absolutely loving the ability to live vicariously, through things I could never afford, in this trip report!! Great job so far! Seems like the trip of a lifetime.
So glad to have you along!!! if it makes you feel any better I couldn't afford it either! haha. All my extra money every single paycheck went onto Target giftcards (5% off with my red debit) for about a year to pay for this trip, saved through my Disney Vacation Account to get the bonus gift cards. It is not something I would do again but it was a truly incredible once in a lifetime experience to do this amazing trip!

Whether you can see fireworks or not I think you are going to love WL. I hope! I can't say it's my favorite... AKL takes top honors, and I also have a soft spot for the Grand Floridian Villas (hence my DVC ownership :rolleyes1) but Wilderness Lodge is definitely up there. Agh can I go back now!?!

LOL...OK yes, you might have a bit of a Disney problem, but I know I'm not telling you anything you haven't already publicly acknowledged ;)

I am extra excited for this trip now because I just last week added an extra day at the beginning! We are now staying one night at AKL-Jambo House, before we move over to WL for the next five nights. Sean is super excited because he loved Kidani last year, and Sanaa is his favorite. Can't wait!

LOL...OK yes, you might have a bit of a Disney problem, but I know I'm not telling you anything you haven't already publicly acknowledged ;)
Oh I seriously do, there is no doubt about it. This trip was my 19th to Walt Disney World since May of 2014 (when my addiction really began in earnest). :eek: I don't know if there is a 12 Step program for Disney, or if I'd even want to join, but it is definitely a form of escapism. I have a high-stress job full of negativity and deadlines and Disney is my drug of choice - fortunately its side effects only hurt my credit card and not my health (or anyone else's!) Plus it is horribly easy to drive down to Orlando from Atlanta for a long weekend, especially when you have that AP burning a hole in your pocket :thumbsup2

I am extra excited for this trip now because I just last week added an extra day at the beginning! We are now staying one night at AKL-Jambo House, before we move over to WL for the next five nights. Sean is super excited because he loved Kidani last year, and Sanaa is his favorite. Can't wait!
Oh be still my heart! Jambo house just feels like home. We have a night there at the end of this report, so stay tuned! Are you staying in a regular hotel room or a DVC villa?

12/31 - New Year's Eve! Part One

We "slept in" on New Year's Eve which meant we got up at 8:00 instead of 6:00... and I sent R down to Roaring Forks to get coffee in our refillable mugs since the in-room Joffrey's pods make coffee that's way more weak than we normally brew at home. He, of course, was lured in by the siren song of the pastry case and returned with two fresh mugs of stronger coffee and this little beauty:

rphOrCCl.png

The pecan sticky bun is so much better than it looks. I am not a huge fan of things like sticky buns as I usually find them to look and smell better than they taste, but this one was the exception to the rule for sure! It was fresh, moist, and very tasty. ($3.79 or one snack credit). R still talks about this at home so it definitely made an impression :thumbsup2

We'd called down to room service when we first woke and placed our orders for in-room dining. Not something we'd normally take advantage of, but it was included with our platinum plan as one credit each and frankly we had plenty of credits, so why not?

A3YuBFAl.png

LopGPEcl.png

I ordered the ham and cheese omelette minus ham (I am weird about what I can eat within the first few hours of waking and ham did not sound appealing this morning). Plus all the carbs! Potato home fries and a biscuit. R ordered the full breakfast with cheese eggs and sausage, a biscuit, and fruit. You can see they goofed and gave him potatoes instead of fruit, but whatever. This was not our best meal. The potatoes were both greasy and undercooked, the biscuits were a bit dry, and the eggs were just eggs. Mine was pretty unappetizing and I mainly ate the biscuit and some omelet, which was slightly improved by Tabasco sauce. We also got a pot of coffee and an orange juice. Thank goodness for that pecan sticky bun! It was nice to have a slower morning, though, and it was fun to experience room service. I wouldn't do it again so at least it got the bug out of my system. The package paid $66.70 (!!!) for this, but we just exchanged two credits.

viZqDLPl.png

We got dressed and took the boat to the FW campground, headed for our check in to the Wilderness Back Trail Adventure tour! Segways!!! Nature! Fort Wilderness! Woo hoo! We had to get an internal bus so I was nervous about the timing as I'd never done this before, but one came shortly and we made it to the bike barn ahead of when we needed to check in for the Wilderness Back Trail Adventure (11:15 am).

k5Ur5iPl.png

Upon checking in, we were told we were the only two booked on this tour this day. Sweet! Private tour. We met our two guides and were given helmets and segways, watched a quick safety video, and got a long safety lecture. I was really worried about not passing the safety test as the segways were hard to master at first! But soon it was no trouble and we had a good time exploring Fort Wilderness.

omlWOCil.png

This picture makes me laugh SO HARD every time I look at it. We look so dorky. I love it! :rotfl:

I really enjoyed getting to see parts of the Fort (say that 5 times fast) that I hadn't experienced before. It really is like being in another world in some ways - kids were out bicycling unsupervised, people were fishing and paddling canoes on the small lakes dotted around the campground, and we even got to visit some Disney pony pals (and the hardworking draft horses who are part of the entertainment staff at Magic Kingdom!)

tDhjp38l.png

hMJH4tUl.png

The plan paid $191.70 for our two tours and we got a cute pin as a souvenir. This would be a good tour for those looking for something special to do with Dad or seasoned vets who haven't experienced the wonder of Fort Wilderness yet.

On the way back to the room I stopped in Roaring Forks and sprung (one snack credit) for the... FANFARE.... Magic Cookie Bar! Holy moly magic is right. R picked up a couple packs of those delicious cinnamon sugar glazed almonds. I don't know what the individual totals were but the total before applying the three snack credits was $14something.

pAvsvFXl.png

Unlike some people (cough @ariane37 cough) I didn't take pictures of the nuts - covered or not! ;)

We changed clothes into our New Year's Eve attire and caught a bus to Disney Springs and checked in a bit late for our 3:00 Boathouse reservation. We were supposed to be having lunch, then enjoying Cirque du Soleil, and then having a later dinner at Flying Fish. Well due to being late for lunch, it was more like we'd be having "first and second dinner", so we regretfully tried to order lighter. We had a lovely table outside that was perfect for enjoying the mild and lovely weather.

OxMB6Wil.png

We started with drinks, as usual.

VQm6stZl.png

I had the white sangria ($12), and R started with "the Bradford" ($14). The sangria is described as prosecco, brandy, elder flower liqeur, and fresh citrus. The Bradford is described as Four Roses small batch whiskey and Blenheim spicy red top ginger ale.

NIWjkYgl.png

I liked the white sangria but I am normally opposed to watering down my wine... it was refreshing and perfect for the ambiance at our outdoor table, though it was a bit sweet for my taste with the prosecco and brandy. R didn't really like his choice, but he doesn't like spicy ginger drinks (like ginger beer) so he just made a bad selection.

We decided to do three appetizers and one entree - which kind of threw our server for a loop as I guess she never encountered crazies who wanted to squander their dining plan entitlements this way. She did tell us that we could have ordered from the "raw bar" section of the menu and I believe (don't quote me) that 4 oysters or 4 shrimp were the appetizer portion covered under the dining plan, or one stone crab claw. That wasn't what we were interested in eating this day, but I had not been able to find out this information prior to our trip so I wanted to share.

UISIXuFl.png

True to my usual predilections, I had a Wedge salad ($13 - Iceberg, pecan smoked bacon, blue cheese, heirloom tomatoes, and red onions). This was standard but delicious and I had no trouble polishing it off.

USlvkpPl.png

R went for the Chopped Salad ($13 - romaine and iceberg, poached bay shrimp, peppered salami, red onions, hearts of palm, olives, pepperoncini, smoked mozzarella and herb vinaigrette). This was a very busy salad and had tons of great flavor but I could have done without the pitiful little salad shrimp. The other parts of it were delicious and it basically tasted like an italian sub minus the bread.

K2EtSH4l.png

As one of our entree entitlements we ordered a bowl of the lobster bisque ($12) which neither of us really cared for since it didn't have much lobster flavor and instead tasted overly strongly of cream, which was somehow a negative thing in this case. (I know, WHO AM I?! I think I just heard @Lisa F closing my review's browser window from far off in the distance). I had high expectations but we came nowhere close to finishing this dish.

fhx5dCql.png

We shared the crab stuffed lobster ($48) as our main. Isn't it gorgeous?! "1 1/4 lb split Maine lobster, jumbo lump crab, grilled asparagus, melted butter."

6Iig3VCl.png

This was pretty good but a bit dry, and I think the lobster was just a shade overcooked. It was nice to indulge in lobster but in retrospect I wish we had gotten the lobster roll and the crab cakes to share instead of getting the bisque and the full lobster entree. And yes, LOL, we did get exactly 3 asparagus spears. Better than nothing I guess! :confused3

Of course, R needed dessert so he ordered the chocolate bundt cake and I helped with a few bites.

k5jkGmAl.png

It was good but obviously a few steps down from the elevated signature food we'd been having over the past couple of days. (Not that I am complaining!) The raspberry sauce was delicious and saved this from being just one-note. The center was sort of like a molten lava cake.

1bzvfX2l.png

I had a glass of Kim Crawford sauvignon blanc as my dessert. 'Cause, you know, vacay. I liked this wine a lot and it's now my go-to sauvignon blanc since it's easy to find in the grocery store and at a decent price point. We also each had a cup of their very good coffee! It was delicious and a head start on our attempt to stay awake to ring in the new year!

The plan paid $102.24 for our meal. I wouldn't mind going back to the Boathouse but I would choose from the sandwiches and baskets and adjust my expectations. The Boathouse seems to suffer from an identity crisis - is this an upscale seafood signature? Or a family style, dockside location with hearty sandwiches and fried baskets? We saw some of both and I have heard excellent things about all parts of the menu, so I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. However, they do not accept Tables in Wonderland here, so it might be a while before we go back.

Math in this post: 4 snack credits ~ $17.79, room service breakfast $66.70 (2 meal credits), Boathouse $102.24 (two meal credits), Wilderness Back Trail Adventure $191.70 = $378.43 paid by plan

Up next: Cirque du Soleil and Flying Fish - and do we make it to midnight???

Oh be still my heart! Jambo house just feels like home. We have a night there at the end of this report, so stay tuned! Are you staying in a regular hotel room or a DVC villa?

A value studio in the villas! I'm sure we won't have a good view or anything but for one night I don't really care. I was trying to pack too much into this trip (including arrival day) and decided instead to not do a park that day and to just plan on pool time and dinner, so Jambo will be perfect. It also means I don't have to figure out how to get us over to Sanaa on a park day without it eating up like 3 hours of our day. Win/win!

As one of our entree entitlements we ordered a bowl of the lobster bisque ($12) which neither of us really cared for since it didn't have much lobster flavor and instead tasted overly strongly of cream, which was somehow a negative thing in this case. (I know, WHO AM I?! I think I just heard @Lisa F closing my review's browser window from far off in the distance). I had high expectations but we came nowhere close to finishing this dish.

lol, no I am not a fan of pure cream flavor, I just love creamy stuff! It's all about balance. Will answer the rest later!

This was not our best meal.
Eek...it truly doesn't look very appetizing.

headed for our check in to the Wilderness Back Trail Adventure tour! Segways!!! Nature! Fort Wilderness! Woo hoo!
Woo hoo!

Upon checking in, we were told we were the only two booked on this tour this day. Sweet! Private tour.
Nice!

Magic Cookie Bar! Holy moly magic is right. R picked up a couple packs of those delicious cinnamon sugar glazed almonds.
Unfortunately I'm not a cocnut fan nor a cinnamon fan. Oh well, no treats for me! :)

Unlike some people (cough @ariane37 cough) I didn't take pictures of the nuts - covered or not! ;)
HAHAHAHA

checked in a bit late for our 3:00 Boathouse reservation
I had planned to make an ADR for here on our arrival day but I ended up deciding against it, as we want a more relaxed start to our trip than we had last year. So its just Roaring Fork or Geyser Point for us on arrival day.

in retrospect I wish we had gotten the lobster roll and the crab cakes
This sounds wonderful! I really love crab cakes and had planned to order them if we had made an ADR there.

I wouldn't mind going back to the Boathouse but I would choose from the sandwiches and baskets and adjust my expectations.
Well, I'm glad we won't miss anything amazing. I'm sure it is good, but at least I won't think we made a horrible mistake by not booking. We will probably try it at some point in the future.

A value studio in the villas! I'm sure we won't have a good view or anything but for one night I don't really care. I was trying to pack too much into this trip (including arrival day) and decided instead to not do a park that day and to just plan on pool time and dinner, so Jambo will be perfect. It also means I don't have to figure out how to get us over to Sanaa on a park day without it eating up like 3 hours of our day. Win/win!
Don't be so sure about your view... here's the vista from value studio 5134 :thumbsup2 Make that room request, lady!

NPhprJtl.png

We love AKL so much. I stayed in the value studio on a cash reservation in June. It was perfect for two people! The value studios are perfectly located since they are so close to the lobby and the bus transportation. Plus FULL SIZE COFFEE POT - come on, it makes up for the small room :rotfl:I absolutely adore the pool at Jambo House and I totally get the logic in staying near Sanaa! Sounds like a perfect first day.

I had planned to make an ADR for here on our arrival day but I ended up deciding against it, as we want a more relaxed start to our trip than we had last year. So its just Roaring Fork or Geyser Point for us on arrival day.

This sounds wonderful! I really love crab cakes and had planned to order them if we had made an ADR there.

Well, I'm glad we won't miss anything amazing. I'm sure it is good, but at least I won't think we made a horrible mistake by not booking. We will probably try it at some point in the future.
Yeah I am sure I will be back at some point but Disney Springs is just bursting with great places to try! I don't think you can make a mistake spending some time close to the resort when you arrive and letting your bodies stop moving for a while!

I gotta finish up this bad boy so it will stop torturing me to write these posts. As you can see from my ticker I have a long weekend coming up with my coworker in early March and between her planning texts and writing these reports I am already missing WDW something fierce! So with that said I present...

12/31 - Our New Year's Eve Dinner!

After our meal at the Boathouse, we stopped in a few shops at Disney Springs on our way over to the Westside. I took a picture of this decorative towel for you guys:

WoleZ7Nl.png

We were headed to Cirque du Soleil where we exchanged our plastic voucher cards at Will Call - for some reason they gave us four plastic voucher cards. Anyone know if we can use the other two in the future? The awesome news was that we had great seats for La Nouba and the plan paid $210.88 toward the evening's entertainment. We enjoyed the show very much and while it was certainly family friendly, it wasn't at all what I would call a kiddie show - it was great for two adults though there were certainly plenty of kids in the audience. I would definitely recommend this show!

We'd intentionally scheduled the 6:00 Cirque du Soleil show to give us something to do that evening that sort of kept us out of the crowds, and it did at least keep us out of the theme park insanity. Disney Springs, however, was horrifically crowded after Cirque let out. It was a fight just to maneuver our bodies from the West Side back to The Landing or whatever pleasure island is called these days. We got on a bus for the Boardwalk post haste! We were a bit early for our 8:55 Flying Fish reservation, so we decided to stroll around the Boardwalk a bit. They were all geared up for New Year's Eve and had a DJ in the grassy center area of the Boardwalk Inn with a dance party going on. There were tons of folks grooving to the Wobble and the Cupid Shuffle, which was pretty entertaining in and of itself.

We checked in for our reservation and were told that they were running behind. Well fine, we aren't hungry yet anyway! While we were waiting we saw Chef Tim Majoras milling around the restaurant, obviously checking on things to make sure everything was meeting his exacting review. We viewed this as a good sign and before too long we were shown to a table at the back of the restaurant along the banquette on the far wall.

h4hDFqTl.png

Let me start by saying that the redesign is striking - I love the upscale yet ocean-y look. I applaud their design team!

There were a lot of large parties seated around us - in fact, our server introduced himself and told us that he was assisting our server (and said her name) but the other server never actually came to our table. We were waited on entirely by the first gentleman we met, though he seemed like he was the assistant waiter. We had fine service, so I am not complaining, it was just odd. :rolleyes:

Shockingly, we started with cocktails. :rolleyes1 I had a Bulleit Rye old fashioned ($10) and R had a Bulleit Rye with soda ($9). I apparently did not photograph these and mine actually wasn't made that well. For appetizers, we had a very hard time choosing.

o5PIKPRl.png

I ended up going with the highly lauded Kurobuta Pork Belly ($13) "Shank croquette, royal gala apple slaw, bing cherry gastrique, shirred quail egg". This was heavenly - the pork belly was melt-in-your-mouth tender and the croquette was crunchy, rich, and decadent. We definitely ate all of this and enjoyed every mouthful!

ENuHobTl.png

We also wanted to try the Yellowfin Tuna ($15) "Compressed watermelon, citrus espalette, black cyprus sea salt, avocado". This was good but I was expecting too much. I loved the inclusion of the watermelon as it added some crunch so I didn't have a texture problem. Also, they served us bruised avocado. Really? at $15 for a tiny plate and you can't even find a perfect avocado? Anyway, based on taste alone, I'd try something else next time.

G8w2Op3l.png

For my entree, I had their version of a steak which was different from the Wagyu beef filet mignon that is listed on the online menu and was reviewed on the Dis Unplugged podcast. The receipt lists this only as "beef" and it was $53, $2.00 less than the filet listed on the online menu. I don't remember how it was described on the menu that night, I think as "beef tenderloin". Anyway, I don't know if they ran out of Wagyu beef or what, but this was one of the worst steaks I've had on Disney property. It was a bad cut and I should have sent it back but I honestly didn't want anything else. The vegetables served with my entree were likewise bad, void of flavor and drenched in what I presume is bordelaise sauce that didn't add anything to the dish.

Fyc5WySl.png

R had the "Ocean's Bounty Sustainable fish - harvest vegetable melange, savory potato buerre blanc" ($44) and tonight's fish was grouper. This was also completely underwhelming. Given our love of the previous iteration (the potato crusted snapper from the former Flying Fish Cafe) this was such a disappointment. R's veggies were also flavorless and unpleasantly crisp.

0IMsbqEl.png

ZahcLMtl.png

To make myself feel better I changed things up and switched to the house signature old fashioned "Knob Creek Disney Select Bourbon, House-crafted Bitters Valencia Oranget, Turbinado Sugar, Luxardo Cherry" ($12.50). This was a perfect old-fashioned and I really enjoyed it.

taWkqz0l.png

For dessert, we had a special holiday chocolate dessert. I have no idea what this was called but it cost $10 and included my favorite thing ever - a macaron.

LzrT6zEoInm4E.gif

Plus the whole thing was sparkly!

7StKoyWl.png

We also had the "Under the Sea" chocolate dessert (Valrhona Manjari Chocolate, Chocolate Coral Sponge, Pistachio Sand, Dehydrated milk foam, Tasting of three Sea Salts - $12). This was pretty good - the chocolate truffle things were better than the chocolate roulade thing from the other dessert but the little sponges and other schmutz on the plate were unnecessary... except the sea salt which I love with sweet dessert. These were not among the favorites of our dessert experiences from this trip. But sparkles!

SHeK17El.png

We had a press pot of Kona coffee ($8.00) to add some caffeine to our systems and further our midnight aspirations.

The cost of this meal paid for by our dining plan was $165.07 and we paid $34.62 out of pocket for our alcoholic drinks (Tables in Wonderland was blocked out on this date).

I was a little heartbroken over our entrees. I don't know if it was because the restaurant was slammed on New Year's Eve or what, because I have seen so many positive reviews of the Flying Fish reboot, but I did not enjoy our meal and it was extremely expensive for the quality of the food we had. If I had been paying out of pocket I think I would have complained about the quality of the entrees and I felt a little duped as I was looking forward to a heavenly filet and got basically a bad sirloin. There are just too many good signature options around Disney property for me to come back to Flying Fish any time soon. In fact, had I known how bad Flying Fish would prove to be, I would have had a steak at the Boathouse and eaten appetizers as my entree at FF.

We went back to the Wilderness Lodge to enjoy our last night at this amazing resort. We broke open a bottle of Mumm Napa sparkling wine I'd brought with us - Mumm Napa was one of the wineries we visited over our Thanksgiving wine country trip and it was a perfect toast to the end of 2016, which brought us so much happiness and light. Of course we saw the incredible fireworks again and then called it a night.

1459flgjtwjVn2.gif

Fc2sCqLCxFOms.gif

Math in this post: Cirque du Soleil tickets $210.88, Flying Fish 2 credits or $165.07 = $375.95 paid by plan

Up next: Our last day on the plan, where we experience Narcoossee's brunch, an excursion to the spa, and a WILD and WONDERFUL dinner!

Don't be so sure about your view... here's the vista from value studio 5134 :thumbsup2 Make that room request, lady!

NPhprJtl.png

We love AKL so much. I stayed in the value studio on a cash reservation in June. It was perfect for two people! The value studios are perfectly located since they are so close to the lobby and the bus transportation. Plus FULL SIZE COFFEE POT - come on, it makes up for the small room :rotfl:I absolutely adore the pool at Jambo House and I totally get the logic in staying near Sanaa! Sounds like a perfect first day.

OK well now I am even more excited than I already was! I am totally requesting that room :thumbsup2

How disappointing! I ate at the remodeled FF last September and it was as good as ever. The thing that was lacking for me was the dessert list. I've read just mediocre reports on their desserts so I went with the Peanut Butter Freeze from the cocktail list; it was a delicious spiked pb milkshake!

I am so enjoying your reports! Sorry to hear about Flying Fish. We are staying at the BWV for the first time in August and this was on our "maybe" list..so is Narcoossee's (as we just booked the Grand Floridian for our last 3 nights of the trip...still cannot believe that)... so I am looking forward to your review! It looks like you had a very memorable trip!!

Enjoying your report! Sorry that your FF experience wasn't great. In all the many times we've been to WDW, we've never tried FF, and I don't know why, lol. When I read great reviews, I'm like, "have to get there"! Then I read not so great reviews, and I'm like, "nah, too expensive, not worth it, let me continue to go to my tried & trues". Can't wait to hear your review of Narcoossee's brunch! We were torn between that & the Sunday brunch at California Grill last trip, and we went with Cali. It was worth every penny!

1/1/17

The first day of 2017 brought good news and bad news; this was our last morning waking up at the Wilderness Lodge, but today had lots of fun in store including checking in at one of my other favorite resorts - the Animal Kingdom Lodge!

7MvIRp3l.png

We slept in as much as possible since I had intentionally left this morning open for us, knowing that we'd likely have been up late on New Year's Eve. We hung out in the room until check out time, and I took a bunch of pictures of our view and the construction on the cabins below.

0EP2E4Ol.png

I used the remainder of the bottle of Mumm Napa from the previous evening to mix mimosas from the orange juice left from yesterday's in room dining. (Hello room drank ingeniuty).

PlS4RRXl.png

Cheers, water bridge!

It was sad to say goodbye to Wilderness Lodge but before long it was time to call bell services to grab our bags - we were using bell services to transfer our luggage while we were out for the day.

gMTrLpIl.png

On the way out of the Lodge, we stopped in Roaring Forks and used another two snack credits to secure another of those delicious pecan sticky buns and a magic cookie bar to go. It was a little weird getting in our car after a few days!

t19KnPEl.png

We drove over to Narcoossee's for our brunch reservation at 12:15, and despite being directed to park in the Villas lot and having a nice saunter around the Grand Floridian grounds, we arrived about 15 minutes early. We were seated right away at a nice window-side table, and our server greeted us with a very over the top spiel. She was very up front about the indulgent quality of the brunch, and right away encouraged us to order multiple dishes each.

XFLtxxSl.png

She waxed poetic about several of the options and took our drink orders - we both went with the specialty bloody mary, mine with the "stuff" on the side.

kuFXfDLl.png

ZywITvcl.png

Sorry, I forgot to take pictures until some of the garnishes had been consumed (there were olives, I believe) and I'd already tucked into the bloody mary. #priorities. The bloody marys were good - R doesn't really even like bloody marys but wanted the garnishes (LOL) and even he drank all of his. This was a solid win.

Anyway, this should have been our first indication of what we were in for... it took forever to get our bloody marys (it was a full 25 minutes between taking a picture of the chocolate sculpture in the entry way and when I snapped a pic of the bloody mary).

fwmcJiPl.png

Fortunately, with our drinks came a pastry basket - unfortunately the pastries were just okay. Of course we ate the cheese danish, because, come on, it's Disney cheese danish, but the rest we packed up to go at the end of our meal. There was too much anticipation of our yummy brunch to waste valuable tummy space on pastries!

8nRTla3l.png

Then I drank the rest of my bloody mary. We had a photo shoot. 20 minutes passed. Our first round of food showed up at 12:53, almost an hour after we'd arrived at Narcoossee's.

6P8oFTml.png

YjttEzml.png

For an appetizer, R chose the shrimp and grits. This was a real highlight! The grits were perfect to this southern gal and the shrimp had a great flavor and a good level of spice without being "hot" spicy. The shrimp were fresh tasting and had that great snap left after being cooked properly rather than turning to mush.

I had the cheese selection,

bbf2zbWl.png

gpDFahTl.png

AND remembered to take a picture of what they were! Remember me saying that the server really talked up a few dishes? Well the cheese selection was one of them. Also remember my California Grill cheese plate from a couple days ago? Well, the delicious "barely buzzed" was featured at both restaraunts! My favorites were the barely buzzed and the red hawk. I'd still give the edge to California Grill's cheese plate, but hey, this was part of a pre-fixe meal so that's not a fair comparison.

Our server kept disappearing for long periods of time and when we finally flagged her down she asked what she could get for us and we both requested glasses of prosecco. Despite having practically begged us to order multiple entrees, she seemed almost put out that we wanted additional drinks. Whatever, we got the prosecco. (This picture was taken at 1:33, over an hour and a half after we arrived)

biArVPFl.png

Our entrees and prosecco arrived together, and we were sharing three things.

1IuCZKol.png

Brioche French Toast "caramelized Forelle pear and fig chutney, with whipped mascarpone". This had been talked up a good deal by our server, and it was good but not great. I prefer the vanilla bean French toast from the Grand Floridian Cafe. I know this says it is Brioche but almost had the flavor of a French toast made with whole wheat bread.

Bhllz1sl.png

Chicken and Waffles "crispy fried boneless breast and thigh with creamy collard greens on a waffle with maple bacon bourbon jam, house-made apple butter and candied walnut crumble". This was mediocre. I don't know how else to slice it and dice it. The chicken was good but the waffle was... weird. Almost like it cooked too long (or not long enough?) it just didn't have that satisfying crunch and decadence from a good Belgian waffle. The greens on top of a waffle with sweet jam and then savory chicken was weird - I normally love sweet and savory but these flavors didn't meld. This tasted like Applebee's attempted chicken and waffles. Edible, just off.

pXiCdAcl.png

Steak and Eggs "Black Angus hanger steak, two cage free brown eggs, marble potato home fries and truffle aioli". Another favorite of our server, who assured us this could be cut with a butter knife. Unfortunately we had to actually put her challenge to the test since she disappeared without getting us a steak knife. You could actually cut this with a butter knife but there are a lot of things I COULD cut with a butter knife - that doesn't mean you should. This was the best of the three dishes and was head and shoulders above my miserable steak from Flying Fish the previous night. We enjoyed this quite a bit. The eggs tasted like fried eggs and I don't remember anything about the potatoes. You should remember truffle potatoes! But at this point I am blaming my pessimism on the fact that our entrees came an hour and a half from when we were seated...

Sadly that's the end of the pictures for this meal as we really needed to be at the GF Senses Spa by 2:00 for the massages I had booked for us, and we had 25 minutes from when we were served entrees to eat them and pay. We asked her for the check when she brought the entrees (explaining the spa appointments) and she brought us our dessert sampler boxed to take. It still took forever for her to run our check and bring the desserts and it really caused a great deal more stress than I thought it would have when I booked a dining reservation for brunch well before I needed to be anywhere on the same resort...

We later tried the desserts (actually later the same day, but let's keep the cart behind the horse) and they were not good. They were like layer cake thingies I would find at a typical convention buffet. We tossed them after tasting.

Overall I would give Narcoossee's brunch a B+. Some things were great (steak and eggs, both appetizers) and others were meh (chicken and waffles, French toast) and others were downright inedible (desserts). The pastries were nice and the drinks were fine - I wish we had been offered more beverages or even had acceptable service. 40-50+ minutes waiting on the next course is unacceptable pacing for a signature meal.

It's no secret that I am all over these boards preaching the gospel of the California Grill brunch. The difference to me between the two "signature" brunches was vast -- while California Grill is something I wish I could fit in on every single trip, I don't really care to get back to the Narcoossee's brunch, especially since they're offered on the same day of the week. Our plan paid $146.97 for this meal, so I am glad we tried it on the platinum plan versus paying out of pocket.

We hightailed our rear ends over to Senses to check in for our massages. We both had great experiences and I even had five whole minutes to enjoy the wet room before getting massaged into a blissful oblivion. I highly recommend therapist Elizabeth if you go get a massage.

TnnC81wl.png

Obviously there's not much in the way of photography subjects in the process of getting a massage but I did snap a picture of the fragrance available in the "freshen up" area of the women's locker room. I am a perfume hoarder and this one is the next one I'll treat myself to. The massages were $270.00 total.

Math in this post: 2 snack credits ($7.48), 2 dining credits at Narcoossee's ($146.97) and two massages ($270) = $424.50

Up next: a resort hop! A delicious dinner! A giraffe!

That really is unacceptable pacing. I am all about taking my time with a nice a meal, but having to wait an hour and a half for your entrees and then rush through them is not cool! Plus your server sounds weird. At least you had a nice massage to help recover from your brunch stress :)

Wow it was crazy how long that took!

I have a question about the Cali Grill brunch. I'm considering it, and wanted to know if you can go back at night to watch the fireworks? I've read conflicting things.

Last edited:
So neither Flying Fish nor Narcoossee's brunch were on point, it seems. Sorry about that. Those are signatures, yes? They should be exceptional.

The massages sound wonderful though. I'm glad you made it on time. You obviously needed a massage after the stressful timing of your brunch! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter