Broken ankle

AllyElly

Mouseketeer
We are leaving for Disney in 4 days and my daughter just broke her ankle. She is in a cast from below the knee to her foot. Her doctor is aware of our trip and said just to have her use a wheelchair to get around so she doesn’t wear out too quick, but didn’t mention any other restrictions.

Are there any rides she won’t be able to go on? She loves thrill rides and was really looking forward to FOP.

So sorry for your daughter! As long as the doctor says it is okay, I would not be worried about FOP. The idea of the ride is similar to Soarin- so you aren't in a ride vehicle that is flying and bouncing around a track. Your feet are pretty much just planted and it does not really impact your legs much. I would ask about roller coasters before putting her on those. My DD's friend had a broken ankle on a trip where they met us for a few days- she was in a boot not a cast by the time of the trip--- her doctor had no restrictions on what she could ride and the kids had a fantastic time. It did not slow her down. She rode everything.

FOP will depend a lot on the size and proportion of your daughter. There is a trial seat outside that can help with assessing whether she may have issues.

If the doctor doesn't have any restrictions, then I would just play it by ear and let her guide you.

My friend did FOP with. Broken foot and I see at lest one person in line with a cast or boot on there foot just about half the time I go. Sorin might be more of a problem since your feet dangle on this ride

I know you didn't ask for them, but I'm just throwing in a couple of general tips from someone who went to Walt Disney World with a broken foot and a walking boot:

Take any pain medication thw dictir reconnends on a schedule instead of waiting for pain to happen. It's really easy to not notice it with everything going on.

Try to elevate your foot whenever you take a break, for the same reason as above.

Dole Whip is reeeeally good for broken bones.

Really important to try the trial seat outside of Flights of Passage.
Depending on the size of your boot and the length of her leg, there may be several ways the leg can be. I’m able to keep both feet flat on the floor or she may have to have her foot at an angle.
The CM outside by the trial seat can help you figure out.

The ride itself is intense, but very smooth.

I have seen guests on Soarin with casts/boots; most are very securely attached, so would be no more of an issue than a securely attached sandal. The ride itself is very gentle, but her leg hanging without support may be uncomfortable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter