British Isles with European Delivery Pre-Trip

keighttf

Mouseketeer

This is trip report from our 7 night British Isles Cruise on the Magic in 2018.
Prior to the cruise we went to the Mercedes Benz factory in Stuttgart, Germany to pick up our new GLC though the European Delivery Program.
We also spent a day in London.
It was my DH, my mother in law, and me.
I am using a journal I kept during the cruise and pictures we took (627 between the three of us).

I know I am missing crusing. So I hope you enjoy at least reading about this one. Feel free to comment or ask any questions.

8/29/18 Travel Day

We started by rearranging out suitcases prior to leaving for the airport since we were flying Norwegian Air. They have a lower weight limit for baggage and a weight limit for each carry on. We then took a cab with a company we have used before to Boston Logan Airport. We had requested a van and they sent a regular cab but surprisingly our six bags and us fit. At the airport we had a long check in line and no TSA precheck, which we are used to, since Norwegian doesn't participate but we still had plenty of time. We went to the Air France lounge with our priority pass lounge membership we have from credit cards. While there we had some drinks and snacks.

My DMIL was really into snapchat so we have a bunch of pictures she added graphics to from this trip.
We had a good flight from Boston to London Gatwick. With our tickets we had provided meals which were typical plane food, nothing special but a nice snack.

8/30/18 Travel Day LGW to Stuttgart, Germany

We landed in LGW in the early morning and went though customs and passport control. I was really excited to get a London stamp in my passport as it had been almost 12 years since I was last there. We would only be in London for a few hours right away though. We rented a day room at the Hilton London Gatwick Airport. This is the first time we had tried getting a day room and it worked out great.

We got a free upgrade with our Hilton Diamond status from two twin beds to a family room with a queen bed and twin bed which was better for the three of us. We also got hotel executive lounge access. We stopped by the lounge and my DMIL got some eggs and a croissant for breakfast. I got a "British" lemonade and shortbread cookie. We then went back to the room and napped due to having jet lag and not getting much sleep on the flight. It was nice to have our own space and bathroom/showers for our long layover. We will definitely consider doing this in the future and recommend it to anyone with a long layover.
We then walked back over to the airport. It was so convenient. We took a monorail to the other terminal for our next flight. We checked our bags and went though security. Thankfully not having to take out shoes off which is my least favorite part about going though airport security. We then went to the No 1 lounge with our priority pass membership. They had a buffet of food and an open bar. My DH had a british ale and I had a cider. My DMIL had a whisky and coke. We also had a chicken dish and macaroni and cheese. It was a very nice lounge. We then took an Easy Jet flight to Stuttgart, Germany.
Upon landing we got tickets for the S-bahn (train) and took it into the city. It look us a bit to find our hotel because we took the wrong exit to the street from the station but eventually found it. We stayed at the Altoff Am Schlossgarten. The hotel was paid for by the Mercedes European Delivery Program. It was a suite with a fold out couch my DMIL slept on.

We then got dinner at their bar. A schnitzel with german potato salad. It was delicious. Danke!

DH got a german beer and DMIL got a wine.

Then it was off to bed. DH and I woke up in the night with jet lag so we read and he watched some Netflix.

8/31/18 Stuttgart, Germany to Munich, Germany

As I previously mentioned we decided to get our new car through the Mercedes Benz European Delivery program. I highly recommend this to anyone buying a Mercedes. The savings more than pays for your trip to Germany. Due to lack of more vacation days we added an extra day onto our already planned cruise vacation. It would have been great to have driven the car around more in Europe and made it to a vacation itself.

We woke up early and were very excited. Neither my DH or I had ever bought a new car before, yet alone from the factory it was made in.
We stated the day with an elaborate buffet breakfast at the hotel that was included in the program. There were meats, cheeses, fresh squeezed juice and smoothies, breads, cooked to order eggs, and pretzels (my favorite). It was delicious!

We then took a taxi out to the factory. The cost of the taxi was also included.

We checked in, got some free coffee at the cafe, and browsed the gift shop. Then it was time to get our car!

A Mercedes Benz employee was very knowledgeable about the car and showed us every feature. All with a german accent!
It did start to rain at this point but luckily we weren't planning on doing much outside.
We went back and got a few things from the gift shop. My DH bought an umbrella! My MIL bought some glasses, bag, umbrella, and pen for her aunt that has a Mercedes.
We then got to go on a factory tour. Unfortunately we were not allowed to take pictures. It started with a video and then we had to wear safety gear including a vest, headphones, and safety glasses.

We boarded a bus that went to different buildings where we got off and went inside. Our guide was excellent. He knew ever aspect of the factory complex which is a small city. He also knew how all the cars were made in detail. We really got to see the factory in action. They were making sedans the day we were there. There is a lot more work done by hand than I realized. The cars move through huge conveyor belts. Interestingly they make different models and cars with left and right steering wheels all at the same time. They said they only made two identical cars all year because there are so many options. After the car assembly is complete they get a test drive. It is just like Test Track at Epcot with bumpy roads, water, and a long outside track. We then went to a building in the factory which made the body of the car. This was all animated with huge robots doing welding.
After the tour we went back and had lunch at cafe. Then we were off in our new car! We got on the autobahn and my DH went 90 mph! It was too fast for me. It is crazy that there is not a speed limit.

We drove through Bavaria and stopped at a German rest area for coffee. We then drove by "Cinderella Castle", Neuschwanstein Castle. It was in a stereotypic German village. So cute! We didn't get out and walk around because it was rainy and foggy but still could see the castle and had an even better view of the other castle in town.

We then drove though the German countryside on to Munich. We stopped downtown and walked through a pedestrian street to the Disney store.

No purchases for us today but they did have a German Mickey plush which was cool. The most exciting thing about our stop was our car parallel parked itself with our park assist package. After that we dropped our luggage off at our hotel, Hilton Munich Airport which we got free on points. We had connecting rooms with a king and two twins. We then dropped our car off at the shipping company across the street. The lady working there didn't chat much but seemed to know what she was doing. We couldn't leave anything in the car for it's transport and it had to have specific insurance which was set up by the program.
Back at the hotel we got dinner.

We ate at the lobby bar where we had german sausages, a meet and cheese tray, (which had pretzels too!), and an apple strudel.

9/1/18 London, England

We got up for an early flight to London on British Airways. Since it was too early for the usual hotel breakfast which was included they made us boxed breakfast to go. They were extensive with water, an apple, a banana, a sandwich, a yogurt, and a breakfast bar. They also had coffee in the lobby. We then walked over to the airport and found our terminal. We waited in line for baggage drop and then waited in an even longer line for security and passport control. It was very slow but thankfully we still made it on our flight.
Once we got to Heathrow it was through immigration and customs again. We then took the London underground, Blue Piccadilly line. The tube went straight from the airport to Kings Cross/St. Pancreas where our hotel. It was very crowed with all our luggage but we managed. I just probably wouldn't do it again.

We checked in at the Renaissance St. Pancreas hotel which we booked free with DMIL's Marriott points. We had two king rooms as the three person room was much more expensive. Thankfully even though it was mid morning one room was ready.

We then took an Uber to Big Ben. The first Uber driver for some reason couldn't find us at the hotel entrance but then we got an Uber Executive which was great, a Mercedes. It had been awhile since I had seen anyone drive on the "wrong" side of the road. We activated DH's phone service for the day so we had internet access.

We first did a Rick Steves audio walking tour and saw the London Eye.

Then walked over and saw Big Ben, Parliament, and Westminster Abby. They had some scaffolding on them but were still visible.

We then continued down the street to 10 Downing Street, the prime ministers house.

We continued on to the horse guard.

img_5474-jpeg.585317

Then finished the walking tour in Trafalgar Square learning about some monuments.

London was very busy and crowded. It was also hot. But I was so excited to be back!
We went to a nearby Pasty shop to get lunch and stopped at a Costa for coffee.

Attachments

• IMG_5474.jpeg
    IMG_5474.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 480
9/1/18 London, England (Continued)

After that we wondered around a Boots and went to a Tesco express to get a drink and Walker's crisps. Which we ate while strolling though St. James Park.

We walked to Buckingham Palace.

And of course took a lot of pictures.

After that we walked to Harrods. It was actually a long walk. The store is massive with everything imaginable.

We walked though the food hall.

Then ended up at a coffee shop, Egypt themed. DH had a spiced coffee and I had a water.

After that DMIL and I did some shopping. We wondered around the Harrods souvenir shop and DMIL brought some postcards and tea towels. She also got some tea and biscuits. We then went to the electronics floor. Someone was buying a phone case that was $4000! They also had the sunglasses you can take pictures with. DH would love those.
We stopped at a Starbucks nearby and DH of course got a latte and then we took an Uber to the Disney store.

We got what is sold as a mirror but the back says Disney London on it and has a related drawing with London sights and Mickey and Minnie. We got it to put on our souvenir shelf. We discovered the city specific Disney store items on our Mediterranean cruise and they make great souvenirs for the related cruises. DMIL got a Disney London bag. The store had a large Mickey dressed as a London guard and a full size Cinderella carriage.
We then took an Uber Exec, another Mercedes, back to our hotel. We switched rooms because there was a wedding reception going on with a really loud music base. After that we went to a nearby pub and had a traditional dinner. DMIL and DH had fish and chips and I had bangers and mash.

DH had a pint, DMIL had some wine, and I had a coke.

After dinner we walked through the train station, conveniently connected to our hotel, stopping at M & S just food and a beer/wine store so DH could get some beer and DMIL could get some wine to take on the cruise. We also bought our train tickets to Dover for the next day!

9/2/18 Disney Magic!

It was finally time to start the cruise.

We woke up and headed downstairs to the train station (St. Pancreas).

We got some coffee/drinks in the station and decided to just eat rice krispy squares on the train for breakfast. We knew there was a lot of good food to come!

We did not try to do any yoga on the escalator!

The train was really busy. A lot of people had walking sticks and appeared to be taking a day trip to walk along the coast.

We read and looked out at the English countryside on our one hour train ride to Dover.

From the train station we took a taxi to the port.

Check in and security were quick. DH and I got gold lanyards which was the first time we both did.

IMG_5595.jpeg

They had cutouts of the royal family which you could pose with. My DMIL did this.

After a short wait we were called to board a little before noon.
After of course getting our names announced, we walked around the top deck to take in the views.

9/2/18 Disney Magic! (Continued)

The views of the white cliffs of Dover were great!

We then had lunch in Luminere's which is a great relaxing way to start the cruise. We really prefer the sit down option to the buffet pretty much always but definitely on embarkation day. I had my first coke of the cruise and the sliced roasted beef sirloin. DH had beef empanadas and a chicken caesar salad. DMIL had the pennetta pasta.
We then went to the Promenade Lounge were DH got our dining table changed to a private table. We asked about beverage tastings but nothing particular was of interest to us.
We then went to our room because it was ready. We unpacked and decorated our door before going to the safety drill.
We headed back to the room and got a room service snack. I got a Mickey bar, DH got an all hands of deck cheese platter, and we also got cookies, coffee, and lemonade.

We spent some time before dinner sitting on deck 9 near the adult pool.
Our dinner rotation started off in Animator's Palate.

IMG_5605.jpeg

We were table 21. Our servers were Joe from the Philippines and our assistant server was Alexandra from Portugal.

IMG_0961.jpeg

DH got chocolate milk to drink, pretty much the only time he has it is on cruises for some reason. I was feeling the motion of the ship some so I had a sprite. For appetizers we all had the chicken and walnut salad. Then DH had the Jarlsberg cheese and carrots soufflé, DMIL had the split green pea soup, and I had the creamy butternut squash soup.

For entrees DH had the ginger teriyaki dusted angus beef tenderloin, I had the grilled grain fed sirloin steak with rice, and DMIL had the pork cordon blue. DMIL and I had the cruncy walnut cake for dessert. DH got a coffee and a pecan pie.
We went to 50s/60s music trivia in O’gills after dinner. DMIL did way better than us!

We looked around the shops some and got some pictures of the sunset.

Then we headed to bed.

Great report so far! I had no idea there'd ever been a British Isles cruise. I hope it comes back.

Your trip to the Mercedes factory was really neat!

So happy to read about your trip!

Thanks for reading!

Really enjoying your trip report-I'm now wondering how to sell a trip to Germany and a new car to DH :rotfl:

Good luck! I hope you can convince him!

Great report so far! I had no idea there'd ever been a British Isles cruise. I hope it comes back.

Your trip to the Mercedes factory was really neat!

I think there is usually about one British Isles cruise a summer in a normal year. The ones prior to this one were 12 night itineraries instead of 7 nights.

9/3/18 Sea Day

We woke up to a room service breakfast of donuts, cereal, croissants, apple juice, orange juice, coffee, and tea. This is our favorite way to have breakfast on the ship.
We then headed to the Promenade Lounge for Animation.

My DMIL did Mickey Mouse and we all did Pluto.

After that my DMIL wanted to play bingo. We actually had never done this on a cruise before so it was something new to check out. So we headed over to Fathoms.

It was entertaining to "Shimmy with Timmy". But we did not win anything.
We had previously planned to spent the day in Cobh the next day on our own because the port adventures we wanted were full when we tried to book. My DMIL decided she might want to do a different excursion though so we stopped at the Port Adventures desk and actually were all able to get on the excursion that we had previously wanted.
We had lunch in Lumiere's. Our favorite place for lunch on the cruise.
DH and I got the classic burger and DMIL got a salad with chicken. We had a strawberry creme pastry dessert which was delicious.
We decided to sit on deck 4 for awhile after that.

I really liked the blankets they had on deck because it was cold and windy.

We walked around the ship some.

Then DH and I headed back to the room for a bit.

DMIL decided to do a mojito tasting that afternoon. She really enjoyed it.

9/3/18 Sea Day

DMIL wanted to play bingo again so we headed to Fathoms.

We were only one away from a coverall jackpot but sadly did not win.

We stopped at the Captain's reception in the atrium to pick up some drinks and then went to Rapunzel's Royal Table for dinner.

To drink DH had a coffee and I had a tea and coke.

DH had the grilled knockwurst sausage appetizer and DMIL had the green and white asparagus spears from the regional inspirations section of the menu. DH then had the egg and bacon salad also from the regional inspirations section which he did not care for. DMIL and I had the coronation of mixed leaves. For entrees DMIL and I had the oven roasted tom turkey breast and DH had the king frederic's grilled sirloin steak. For dessert we all had the white chocolate bread pudding and DH also had the rote grutze sundae.
Of course the characters game around and joked with us.

After dinner we headed to O'Gills for 70s music trivia and then we listed to Irish music by a group called Realtra.

DMIL and I went to see Twice Charmed in the Walt Disney Theater. After the show we went back to the room and watched Tangled through the on demand movie system.

9/4/18 Cobh, Ireland

We started the day with room service for breakfast, coffee, juice, bagels, croissants, cereal, and donuts. We also watched the good morning Disney Magic show which we like to do in the morning. As I mentioned previously we were able to get a last minute spot, due to cancellations, on our preferred port excursion, the day before. This was the exploring tipperary tour. We met in the Walt Disney Theatre then after a bit of a wait headed down to our bus. There was only one bus for this tour. The port town is Cobh but it is near Cork so is commonly referred to as Cork but we wouldn't be heading there today.

We met our tour guide on our bus, Roger. He was Irish and did an excellent job all day.
We started with a drive through the Irish countryside and stopped briefly to view Lismore Castle from the outside.

All of the road signs were in English and Gaelic.

We then continued the journey to a gorgeous lookout. On the drive we saw a lot of sheep and learned that rhododendrons are considered an invasive species like a weed there.

We then went to the Rock of Cashel Castle.

Our tour guide gave us a brief tour and then we had some time to explore on our own.

The castle has a long history including with St. Patrick.

We headed back down the hill and continued to see sheep everywhere.

We had lunch nearby which included Irish bread and butter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter