Bringing Friends

BeckWhy

<font color=FF99FF>The Tag Fairy prefers to remain
I've been trying to go to Disney World for a while now (I'm on like every board trying to find ways to go). I found one that might work. My dad has just undergone some surgury and I brought it up to my mom (who is more willing to listen to my ideas) and suggested that I go with my younger brother and sister (that way my parents pay). I told her it would give him a good chance to get some r&r and they could have some time alone (which they never get and they usually don't leave us alone cuz my brother is a pain). My mom suggested letting my brother's friend go so he and my brother could go off on their own and wouldn't bother me. My family has been to Disney quite a bit, and my sister and I usually go off on our own cuz we are disney crazy, anyways, I'm pretty sure my brother won't be much of a problem (there's no internet, no dishes for him that he never takes care of, and me and my sister are barely in our room).
Anyways, What should I know about going with younger siblings (my sister is 16 and my brother is 15)? I've been alone with them a lot and flown with them alone and stuff, so I'm pretty sure I can handle most of the work. Plus, what should I know about bringing my brother's friend? What should I be careful of and stuff? Any hints, help, insites, anything would be helpful. The more I know, the more likely I am to talk my dad into sending us.

Thanks a bunch!

Becky

You don't say how old you are, but the first thing you should know is that it will be a HUGE responsibility.

JMO, but if it were me I would wait until your parents decided to go or wait until you can afford to go with your own friends & be responsible for just yourself instead of siblings & other people's children. ;)

I guess only you know the temperaments of your teenage siblings, but I for one could NEVER have trusted my brother at 15 (double NEVER with a friend in tow!!!!!). I have seen teens running riot at WDW.....pushing in lines, bad mouthing and the like. Now, of course I am in now way suggesting your brother would ever behave like that......BUT, IF he did, are you happy to take responsibility for it?? And be able to control him for the rest of the trip?

If you are happy that your brother is mature enough to go around and behave in an adult manner then definately go for it, as it sounds like a great solution. I would get ground rules set before you leave and any infringement would mean punishments agreed with your parents.

I know plenty of teenagers who would be no trouble at all on a trip like this, so I hope you feel your siblings WOULD be able to be responsible enough to travel with you.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Allie.

PS. Let us all know what you decide to do!;)

I think the other's have some very valid points. Are their personalities such that you can "handle" them?

I would tend to not want to take the friend ... just the three of you go and hang out together. Make this a new experience -- who says you have to split up.

ADVANCE communication is important.

If you decide to go ahead and also if you take my advice about it just being the three of you ... sit down together and come to a consensus that this is not only a vacation for the three of you, but a chance to give your parents some much needed space. Agree that you will all work together to come up with some guidelines and a tentative schedule that will fit in the touring/activitiy desires of all three of you. Make some compromises to make it work.

[If a friend is coming, do the same with him involved in the planning.]

Everyone should have the attitude that you will ALL behave as responsible adults, but that ultimately YOU are in charge.

If this discussion should prove fruitless and there is defiance all around, then I think you should cancel the trip because it will only get worse once you leave home.

p.s. Also make sure you have appropriate authorization/paperwork in case a medical emergency should come up ... these are, afterall, minors.

LoL! Thanks guys! But, it was kinda decided that my brother won't be bringing a friend if we go. This post was kinda old ;). But I will still be going(if we go) with my brother and sister.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter