Bringing friends on vacation...

disfanforlife

DIS Veteran
Question: We have a 2 bedroom standard booked at kidani. We have invitied another family with us and I just now had the idea of gettting a 2 bedroom lock off instead. What are the advantages or disadvantages? The group is me, DH and DS (12) friends are hubby and wife and three kids ages 12,11, 8.

The dedicated 2 bedroom has 2 queens in the second bedroom and a huge balcony. The second bedroom won't have the kitchenette in the dedicated. I think it depends if you want the other family to have their own entrance or do you want them to have the 2 queens.

Thanks Bobbi, we stayed in the dedicated 2 bedroom before when we had our two daughters with us as well and LOVED it!!!! We have never brought friends with us before - so I wasn't sure if we might like the privacy more than the bigger bed. So, they would have a separate entrance - but once inside is there a door that can remain open or closed between the two units? Decisions, decisions. Kitchenette won't be an issue. We don't plan to do any cooking other than making coffee~:goodvibes

Thanks Bobbi, we stayed in the dedicated 2 bedroom before when we had our two daughters with us as well and LOVED it!!!! We have never brought friends with us before - so I wasn't sure if we might like the privacy more than the bigger bed. So, they would have a separate entrance - but once inside is there a door that can remain open or closed between the two units? Decisions, decisions. Kitchenette won't be an issue. We don't plan to do any cooking other than making coffee~:goodvibes

Yes, you can move between the two units if you keep the doors ajar. I am not sure if you can close them but not lock them.

The dedicated ones we have stayed in have HUGE balconies, another plus of the dedicated ones for us.

From what you are saying are you giving them the 1 bedroom part?

Yes, you can move between the two units if you keep the doors ajar. I am not sure if you can close them but not lock them.

The dedicated ones we have stayed in have HUGE balconies, another plus of the dedicated ones for us.

From what you are saying are you giving them the 1 bedroom part?

No, Bobbi, I am nice, but not THAT nice!!! If we stick with the two bedroom - we would have the master. If we switch to the lock off - they would have the studio part. Our son and their oldest are best friends so they will sleep in the living room with either unit. That was our "original plan" inviting their son. But, then they decided that they wanted to go too. They felt really bad for us to take their oldest and their younger kids not get to go. So, they were going to rent a room somewhere on property. We decided to invite them all to stay with us instead and changed our reservation from a one bedroom to a two bedroom.

No, Bobbi, I am nice, but not THAT nice!!! If we stick with the two bedroom - we would have the master. If we switch to the lock off - they would have the studio part. Our son and their oldest are best friends so they will sleep in the living room with either unit. That was our "original plan" inviting their son. But, then they decided that they wanted to go too. They felt really bad for us to take their oldest and their younger kids not get to go. So, they were going to rent a room somewhere on property. We decided to invite them all to stay with us instead and changed our reservation from a one bedroom to a two bedroom.

I think that's the way it should be. I love DS and family a whole bunch, but we do take the master when we share with them!:goodvibes

Given that your sons will share the living room, I am not sure how much privacy the lock off will provide. Son may be going back and forth to see family, dress, what not.

So, mostly it would be a disadvantage to change. I think I will keep it the dedicated. Unless, I can switch to BLT next week. Going to call just in case....I am not even going to ask about BWV because I know it is the tail end of jersey week and also F & W. But, BLT would be really nice and it has the third bathroom too.

Question: We have a 2 bedroom standard booked at kidani. We have invitied another family with us and I just now had the idea of gettting a 2 bedroom lock off instead. What are the advantages or disadvantages? The group is me, DH and DS (12) friends are hubby and wife and three kids ages 12,11, 8.

We did this last May and had a dedicated 2 bedroom. It worked out very well. They got the second bedroom with the two queen beds and we had the Master. Our two boys and their one girl had the living room (my boys in the sofa bed and their girl in the chair bed). Our toddler was in our Master in a pack and play and their toddler was in the second queen.

So, when making this decision, this about where they are all sleeping. I really imagined that my three kids would all be in the living room with my toddler daughter in the chair bed and that my friend's family would all be in the 2nd bedroom since there are two queen beds. Imagine my surprise when my friend said that they wanted their daughter to be in the living room which of course, prompted us to use the pack and play. Luckily, my rather tall toddler daughter didn't mind being cramped in the pack and play, too tired from our fun and busy days.

Worked out, we had a great vacation and in the end that is all that matters....

We did this last May and had a dedicated 2 bedroom. It worked out very well. They got the second bedroom with the two queen beds and we had the Master. Our two boys and their one girl had the living room (my boys in the sofa bed and their girl in the chair bed). Our toddler was in our Master in a pack and play and their toddler was in the second queen.

So, when making this decision, this about where they are all sleeping. I really imagined that my three kids would all be in the living room with my toddler daughter in the chair bed and that my friend's family would all be in the 2nd bedroom since there are two queen beds. Imagine my surprise when my friend said that they wanted their daughter to be in the living room which of course, prompted us to use the pack and play. Luckily, my rather tall toddler daughter didn't mind being cramped in the pack and play, too tired from our fun and busy days.

Worked out, we had a great vacation and in the end that is all that matters....

Maybe their two kids didn't want to sleep in the same bed together. That is lucky that you brought your pack and play. Otherwise, that would have been tough! I think it will be nicer for our friends two kids to have the queen to sleep in instead of a pull out - but that wouldn't be my primary reason to get the dedicated. I just didn't really think of the option of the lock off until this morning when I was browsing and dreaming of where else we "might" switch too.....

Maybe their two kids didn't want to sleep in the same bed together. That is lucky that you brought your pack and play. Otherwise, that would have been tough! I think it will be nicer for our friends two kids to have the queen to sleep in instead of a pull out - but that wouldn't be my primary reason to get the dedicated. I just didn't really think of the option of the lock off until this morning when I was browsing and dreaming of where else we "might" switch too.....

That was the 'issue'; I guess their kids don't sleep well together. They kick.

We have traveled a lot with this family (camping) so we should have picked up on it but different situation, different plan.

Luckily, the villas come with a pack and play so there was a way to keep my daughter out of our king bed (where she usually ends up in our house by morning anyway but I wanted a 'vacation from that :) )

Have fun; no matter where you end up. I am sure it will be a great time!

That was the 'issue'; I guess their kids don't sleep well together. They kick.

We have traveled a lot with this family (camping) so we should have picked up on it but different situation, different plan.

Luckily, the villas come with a pack and play so there was a way to keep my daughter out of our king bed (where she usually ends up in our house by morning anyway but I wanted a 'vacation from that :) )

Have fun; no matter where you end up. I am sure it will be a great time!

I can understand wanting a vacation from that. I remember it all too well from our kids! Now, we are the opposite in that too. This will be our first trip without our two daughters going with us. I am sad and they are too. But, they will both be in college and can not take that week off. We told them that our next trip will be when they can go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!