Bringing a wheelchair on the Magic?

LAWalz23

DIS Veteran
Do I need any documents from my mother's doctor that says she needs a wheelchair? He cleared her to go and told her to have a good time! She will probably use it mostly to get on and off the ship. The reason we are bringing it is because she has lingering stamina and balance issues due to a lengthy hospital stay after open heart surgery with lots of complications last year, the least of which is that she still only has a whisper as her voice volume. Thanks for any help!

Wondering the same thing? :confused3 I have the same thing with my mom just it's because of a back problem. She uses a wheelchair for long distances.

As far as I know, you don't need a doctor's note and don't need to notify DCL unless you require a handicap room or need wheelchair lift enabled buses for DCL transportation. We will also be bringing a wheelchair for my MIL. She normally uses a walker but we're bringing the wheelchair also for the stamina and balance issues as well. Rdy2Bpamperedmom's mom is also bringing a wheelchair for the same reasons.

Are your moms also making a big fuss about "not wanting to bother anyone"? To me the bother is totally worth it for the pleasure of her company. I have a wonderful MIL.

I think DCL figures that if you go to the trouble of dragging a wheelchair along, or renting one and having it delivered to the ship, you probably need it.

No you dont need a Dr note. FYI at CC they have beach W/C's availible. They are first come first serve and can be pushed on the sand.The only problem with bringing a W/C and not having an accessible room is that they are very hard to store in your room when not in use.

You would need a doctors note if you are requesting an accessible room. But you would need to bring your own wheelchair. I don't think there's one available on board.

Having travelled with my DF who needed a wheelchair over time, you do not need a doctor's note to bring a wheelchair onboard. However, the entire ship (Magic) is not completely wheelchair friendly. Parts of it are quite good, but there are a few places to be careful. The cabin doors, except for the handicapped cabins are definately too narrow for a wheelchair. There is a small step from teh cabin floor into the toilet room and the shower room in the cabin. On Deck 9, use the aft elevators because the doors have wheelchair buttons, the forward and midships doors to Deck 9 have lips with ramps, but you need to hold the door for them. Similar problems exist with the doors out to Deck 4. Luminiere's has a side entrance without the steps for handicapped/wheelchair access. My tip is to walk where you think you are going on the ship before heading there with the wheelchair.

The crew is very tuned in to people using wheelchairs - and were fantastic. During lifeboat drill, you will get questions about information they will need in the event of an emergency. The crew was espescially good about helping on the gangway and getting on and off of a tender that was used on that trip.

The other potential issue if cabin space - even folded, a wheelchair takes a big of space. If there are just 2 people in a cabin ( not counting Cat 3 and better) you probably won't trip over it a lot, but if you have more than 2 cabin floor space can be an issue.

Excusions are something to talk to the excursion desk about - you have to be able to get on and off of buses or whatever the mode of transportation is without the wheel chair.

Have a wonderful trip when you go - the wheelchair should NOT be a reason not to go (I know - a double negative)!

Thanks everyonr for the replies!

CM_Mom, yes my Mom doesn't want to bother anyone so she tries to do everything and then winds up falling or exhausted. We are pretty much forcing her to take along the wheelchair. Her line is "I won't complain". We booked this cruise while she was in ICU last year and I told her I would pay her and my Dad's deposit as a get well present. She doesn't remember too much about her 5 week hospital stay but does remember my sister and I telling her about the cruise!

crzy4magic, fortunately it is only Mom and Dad in a Cat 6 cabin (I have my own and they are adjoining). Thanks for the tips on getting around with a wheelchair on the ship. Fortunately, Mom can go up and down stairs and walk for about 15 minutes if she holds on to someone else.

The other potential issue if cabin space - even folded, a wheelchair takes a big of space. If there are just 2 people in a cabin ( not counting Cat 3 and better) you probably won't trip over it a lot, but if you have more than 2 cabin floor space can be an issue.

You can "store" your wheelchairs, scooters and strollers in the hallways and by the elevators. I thought it was a bit odd but you will see many in the evening

Barb

Note that you will need to fill out the DCL medical form. It is part of the forms available online, and if you can't find it or have any questions, you should call DCL and ask for special services. It needs to be filled out ahead of time instead of at the terminal. You also 100% want to tell the cast members assigned to your muster station about your family member's special needs. She needs to be on the list for people who need special assistance should there be any sort of issue. Have a fabulous trip! There are many people here and on the disABILITIES! board who have cruised with a wc or scooter. There are helpful things you can get for your room like a transfer bench that may be helpful even if you are in a regular room. Have a wonderful/magical trip!

:wave: Cupcake

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter