Breastfeeding at Disney

~Kristina~

DIS Veteran
Can you share your experiences? Are you a NIP anywhere anytime type person, or strickly use the Baby Stations? Either way, I'd like to hear about it!

I have not done this before, but will be when we go in September and I am curious about this as well. The only baby care centers are located near the front of the park and if DD gets hungry in the back of the park I have not decided what I would do!

There was a big thread on NIP older babies/toddlers last week and alot of people were saying they have been fine NIP in WDW with no issues at all, which was nice to read! Also the fact that it's illegal to bother a breastfeeding mother in florida (which was reassuring too)

When we went to WDW in Nov I was nursing my DD. I am very comfortable NIP so I would just find a bench and do my thing. I never nursed on rides just because it was not comfortable for me. I never put DD in a sling or anything to nurse so I was holding her. That meant when the ride ended I needed to get us both put back together to get off....just seemed like too much work for me. There are so many nice, quiet benches that I never found a need for the baby care centers if I was not close by. As far as people noticing what I was doing, it never happened. People are so preoccupied in WDW that nobody cares who is feeding their child and how they are doing it. Do what you are comfotable with but know that NIP at WDW is perfectly acceptable :)

I went with my friend who was nursing at the time.

She is definetly NIP anytime anywhere and she was really good at being very discrete. But she did find the Magic Kingdom had the best nursing station (right by the CP). It had rocking chairs and a TV showing Disney movies for any little one.

She also found that any show in the dark was also really easy to nurse during, Mickey's Philharmagic, the Muppets, American pavillon.

Hope this helps

I started a thread a few weeks ago similar to this.... This will be my first trip nursing too.

I plan on using the baby care centers if dd is totally overstimulated, but not really necessarily to nurse, more just to get away from the craziness of the parks.

One suggestion on that thread (that I had never thought of) was to nurse on the slower rides. I really may have to do that. I can see dd falling asleep on the darker rides.

I am honestly thrilled she is still nursing. DS was not nursing on the last trip, and I was so worried about keeping milk cold for him and not giving him too much juice... its just one less headache for me to worry about!
Good luck and congratulations!

We went to Disney in October, and I had an exclusively breastfed 6 month old at the time. I am most definitely not a NIP type, but at Disney, I'd say it is a necessity to do it on occasion, especially if your baby won't take a bottle or a cup. I was usually able to find a shady spot, and I used a nursing cover most times. Sometimes, though, it was just too hot on Lauren. Of course, once you latch on, it's pretty discreet anyway and you don't really need a cover. Not once did I get a disapproving look or comment. Unfortunately, due to the heat, you will probably find yourself feeding more often. Take plenty of water into the parks just for you! :)

That being said, I did use the baby care centers at every park except Epcot. MK was the hardest, because the nursing room is not private and Lauren was very social and didn't want to eat while other people were there and talking. (She did fine outside, though. Go figure. :confused3 ) Both AK and the Studios are fine.

If you have any specific questions, ask away! :flower3:

My experience was that my nursing baby was much easier than my 3 year old and my 5 year old at all of the parks.

Kathy

I exclusively nursed DD when we were at WDW in 1/04 and it was very easy! No bottles, mixing formula, etc. I would just find a quiet, out of the way spot wherever we were, pull out a light blanket to cover DD & I, and I enjoyed a moment of relaxation while DD nursed. I also used the baby care centers, but only when we were near them - I didn't hike across the parks to get to them because there were plenty of quiet, private locations to use. :thumbsup2

Oh yeah! And like a pp mentioned - some of the slower/longer rides and shows are great to nurse in. Just try to get in the back row and you'll be fine.

I have nursed all my boys at Disney, Bushe Gardens and Sea World, as well as every other public place. I was able to walk and nurse, not a single person had a clue. Get a light cover up if need be. You can nurse on rides such as Peter Pans Flight, Haunted Mansion, Webway People Mover, Epcot Ball ride etc. The baby stations are great. Rocking chairs, changing tables etc. Good luck!

I've done a lot of b/f at Disney and can't say enough how much I love my nursing cover-up thing. I recently bought a new one from Bebe Au Lait in a cute pattern and know it will come in handy this June when the weather is much warmer (my other nursing cape is a light flannel). Two days ago I sat on a bench while my family was riding Soarin', facing all the FP machines. Tons of people were lined up getting FP and I was nursing away without a care in the world. I highly recommend getting one!!!

We go to Disney every year, and I'm an "extended breastfeeder" with three kids, so you do the math :lmao: I am a modest public nurser, but I never hide away to feed my babies. I used the baby center once for nursing. It was nice, but too far away to be practical. No one has ever bothered me or given me a dirty look while at Disney. I've done it on rides, during shows, on benches, at restaurants, on the buses, on the monorails, in hotel lobbies, etc.

I think I've posted my one NIP at Disney story before, but here it is again: We were taking the Animation tour at MGM with our first baby, who was four months old at the time. We got to the room where everyone sits on the floor while an animator draws on a sketch pad in the front. There was a bench at the back of the room next to some frosted glass windows. The baby was starting to squirm, so I sat on the bench to nurse her because I thought it would be more comfortable than sitting on the floor. DH sat beside me. Everything was fine until the animator asked everyone to turn their attention to the glass windows :scared1: The frosting on the glass disappeared and there was a drawing studio behind them!!! The entire room full of people on the floor were now staring right at me, and I was sitting above them so it was like I was on a stage. I just kept staring into the studio and not looking at the people until it was all over :rotfl2: .

I nursed all of my children, not while in Disney as we were not there when they were nursing. BUT I did nurse at zoos, beaches, anywhere else I was at. the worst place was in the mall in Allentown PA, rude comments galore. But I can really say if I were nursing at the time I would definitly NIP at Disney. The good thing about Disney (aside from everything) is that there are people from all over the world there and IMHO I think other countries are more keen on NIP then the US is (not that I have ever traveled abroad, just what I heard).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter