BRCA1/2 Genetic testing points to prophylactic surgery, HBOC family like Angelina Jolie, I had no idea this was a thing except for her...

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
Anyone on here ever had to do this? I'm not really sure where this belongs but was hoping to hear what can be expected. It's weird, to get surgery to prevent a thing that may or may not happen and I wasn't going to do it since when I looked things up stats say 10% but apparently my own unique numbers made things unignorable and so that's that.

Seems it's important to have follow-up conversations after genetic testing, I almost blew off yesterday's appointment thinking everything I thought I need to know was online, not true. I had the testing done in 2019 and just sort of worried about other things.

Last edited:
Sorry you’re facing this, Luv. I have not faced that dilemma, but I did have breast cancer and got/still get genetic testing as new gene sequences are discovered (which I guess would put me in that same category if I ever wind up testing positive since I had breast conserving surgery). There used to be a poster on our Breast Cancer Survivors thread who always recommended this website for people in your situation. I hope it helps. :hug:

https://www.facingourrisk.org/

No, I’ve never. I’m so so sorry you are having to. Do you want to discuss it? If so, please feel free ❤️

No, I’ve never. I’m so so sorry you are having to. Do you want to discuss it? If so, please feel free ❤
Just wondering how many people out there discovered risk through testing and what they did about it. Mine was done through a hospital so there was follow up outreach... I wonder what would have happened without the follow-up conversation. I sort of feel like my guardian angel intervened for me 👼Then I think about other people who discovered gene defect risk and did they opt into preventative surgery or not and then, later on, was there was reinforcement of a good choice or regret. It's a lot to take in, some cancers are especially vicious so this one is good to avoid, but it's still disconcerting to have a big surgery for a thing that might not ever happen. There is a lot rolling around up in my head, not really landing anywhere but bubbling anyway. I'm way more comfortable with cut and dry sorts of things so this is not in my zone.

@LuvOrlando That does sound like a lot for sure. It seems to be a good thing that you had the testing done, but know the big decisions have to be made.

I am often, and In the past, was often asked about genetics, and I have zero answers. My Father was adopted (only sibling), and my Mother (only sibling), had no Father she knew of. I had no real answers.

I wish you some peace to make your decision. I know you will make the right one for you, You are one of the wisest on the Dis. You and @Pea-n-Me ❤️

I'm curious as to why you got tested in the first place? Are you flagged as high risk or was this a situation where you did the testing more for your own knowledge or as a participant in a special program or something? Just asking generally because I have always wondered what triggers that kind of testing. I'd like to have it done, but my insurance only covers it in limited circumstances (first degree relative like mother or sister diagnosed before a certain age).

I'm sorry you are facing such a difficult decision. I imagine there are a lot of emotions involved. I have always said that I would do ANY surgery recommended if I could drastically reduce my chances of developing cancer. No body part means more than continuing to be there for my kids and husband.

I'm curious as to why you got tested in the first place? Are you flagged as high risk or was this a situation where you did the testing more for your own knowledge or as a participant in a special program or something? Just asking generally because I have always wondered what triggers that kind of testing. I'd like to have it done, but my insurance only covers it in limited circumstances (first degree relative like mother or sister diagnosed before a certain age).

I'm sorry you are facing such a difficult decision. I imagine there are a lot of emotions involved. I have always said that I would do ANY surgery recommended if I could drastically reduce my chances of developing cancer. No body part means more than continuing to be there for my kids and husband.
So there is high prevalence of breast cancer in the family and my cousin (RIP) was tested shortly after he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer which was linked to breast cancer defect. This is enough to trigger testing apparently researchers are trying to dig into understanding high penetration families.

Right now I am trying to sort out how to share the info with my brother, who I despise and haven't spoken to for about 17 years and want nothing to do with, don't wanna know him or his. I do not want any communication to be viewed as an olive branch but he's got a kid and she should know.... this is messy business. Is there an obligation? I sort of think so... maybe... uggh, miserable.

Ten years or so ago there was lots of information out there when Angelina Jolie had prophylactic mastectomies. I’m not sure if numbers have tapered off since then, when it was frequently in the news, but many people at the time followed her lead. You can probably find lots of information about that online.

I have a friend whose mother passed at a young age from BC. I can’t remember if my friend was gene tested (I hear so many peoples’ stories), but she and her medical doctors decided they would survey her very closely instead of doing surgery. She had the same exact surveillance I had as a BC survivor (which is ‘something’ every 3 months - alternating mammograms, MRIs, primary care breast exam, and oncologist breast exam). She wound up with invasive cancer anyway, which was caught early (as many are today), but still had to go through treatment (surgery, chemo, +/- radiation) and had the same worries that all invasive cancer survivors have, which is whether it potentially spread to other organs before it was found. 😟 I am not sure what she would do if she had it to do over again. (But if I see her, I will try to ask if it seems appropriate. She is also a nurse so we can easily talk about these things - “for a friend”.)

Something I learned during the course of my treatment is that breast tissue isn’t just where we think it is. It goes way down under your arm and way up above your clavicle. You can ask a breast surgeon about this if you get a consult (which I think you should), but cancers can still occur in that tissue. I think, though, that the chances go way down with breasts removed. (The surgeon would be able to give you exact numbers.) I guess what I am saying is that surgery doesn’t completely eliminate the risk, but lowers it significantly. If you remember our friend feralpeg, she had had a mastectomy and years later she developed cancer in her scar tissue, which became a significant battle. (Which is why BC is called a beast.) So it is definitely a complex issue.

Arm yourself with as much information as you can and then make your decision. I wouldn’t say there is a rush, it is something you can mull over for a while. And definitely get some consults with different surgeons. You may also want to ask about it on the breast cancer survivor’s thread here. Some people there have been through this (if they are still around). PM me if I can be of more help.

Just a word about costs of genetic testing. It’s not all covered by insurance, but my medical group will allow people to make payments over as long as they need in order to afford the testing. They recognize that people might not do it if not. If I recall, last time I had it done it was $600, it’s probably gone up since then. But the good part was that I never got a bill for it, so somehow my insurance covered it. I was asked by my oncologist about doing it again for another gene sequence recently found. I am thinking about it, but will probably do it next time. I really don’t think they will find anything in my case. She did have me take out my ovaries when I had a hysterectomy due to there being a link (perhaps unknown as of yet) between breast and ovarian cancers. That was a tough decision for me and my GYN and oncologist duked it out a bit over that, my GYN wanting me to keep them. I wanted to keep them too, but I didn’t want to have regrets, either. Of course taking those out had other health implications for me so it was six of one or half dozen of another. But the best we can do is try to make good decisions with the information that we have at the time. None of us have a crystal ball, unfortunately. Hang in, Luv!

Last edited:
Right now I am trying to sort out how to share the info with my brother, who I despise and haven't spoken to for about 17 years and want nothing to do with, don't wanna know him or his. I do not want any communication to be viewed as an olive branch but he's got a kid and she should know.... this is messy business. Is there an obligation? I sort of think so... maybe... uggh, miserable.
You could just present him with factual information via letter, if you wanted to. It’s nice of you to do so he can at least have the information. If he has ?s about it, he can then reach out.

@LuvOrlando, my close friend is recovering from a double mastectomy (and reconstructive surgery) that was largely preventative. She'd has some pre-cancerous spots found, and they were different from one another. Her grandmother and aunt had both had breast cancer. Her surgeon said she could keep getting alternating MRIs and mammograms every 6 months, with biopsy and excision for every abnormality and taking tamoxifen, or she could go ahead and do the mastectomy. She chose that, and though her recovery is difficult, she has no regrets. When we talked about it, we focused on quality of life as impacted by anxiety. Would she feel okay with the 6 month testing forever, or would she worry? She knew she would never stop worrying, so this was her best choice. No one can make your decisions for you, but trust your gut.

@LuvOrlando, my close friend is recovering from a double mastectomy (and reconstructive surgery) that was largely preventative. She'd has some pre-cancerous spots found, and they were different from one another. Her grandmother and aunt had both had breast cancer. Her surgeon said she could keep getting alternating MRIs and mammograms every 6 months, with biopsy and excision for every abnormality and taking tamoxifen, or she could go ahead and do the mastectomy. She chose that, and though her recovery is difficult, she has no regrets. When we talked about it, we focused on quality of life as impacted by anxiety. Would she feel okay with the 6 month testing forever, or would she worry? She knew she would never stop worrying, so this was her best choice. No one can make your decisions for you, but trust your gut.
I've been doing the every 6 months thing since late 2019, it's tolerable for now but as soon as I do this surgery I suspect they will be all over me for the next kind. I'm worried about surgery setting off autoimmune issues, if I didn't have this I really wouldn't give any of it a moment's pause, chemo looks rough and I'm not sure I'd be able to tolerate it plus when the surgery is elective it seems a lot less traumatic. So far no-one is mentioning medication for me, only surgery - maybe they don't want to overwhelm me, I would be concerned about spooking me too if I had to do what they do

You could just present him with factual information via letter, if you wanted to. It’s nice of you to do so he can at least have the information. If he has ?s about it, he can then reach out.

I know, thing is I am 100% sure he would never do this for me or mine so it's grating, like I know my conscience will force me to share the info for his child's sake but I will also hate myself for it.... literally hate myself.

Maybe I should figure out how to learn more about these cancers so the correct stuff goes into the box that is behind door number 2.

So far no-one is mentioning medication for me, only surgery - maybe they don't want to overwhelm me.
The pp’s friend was able to go on tamoxifen because she had spots found and biopsies, so they were able to identify hormone receptors (which has to be positive). Not all BCs are hormone receptor positive - mine wasn’t. (You might’ve heard the term triple negative.) In my case taking tamoxifin could’ve made things worse for me (according to my oncologist) so I couldn’t take that. They would likely not start you on anything unless you developed spots that were biopsied and identified as to whether they were hormone receptor positive or not.

The pp’s friend was able to go on tamoxifen because she had spots found and biopsies, so they were able to identify hormone receptors (which has to be positive). Not all BCs are hormone receptor positive - mine wasn’t. (You might’ve heard the term triple negative.) In my case taking tamoxifin could’ve made things worse for me (according to my oncologist) so I couldn’t take that. They would likely not start you on anything unless you developed spots that were biopsied and identified as to whether they were hormone receptor positive or not.
I have a friend whose Dr. put her on the Tamoxifin for years which really bothered her a lot but she did it wanting to protect herself, and then she ended up with cervical cancer and a hysterectomy which now seems to be a thing.

It's all a lot to take in, none of this is a walk in the park and no easy or clean answers.

Since this is so relatable to me I want to share my own struggle with all this. Family history is not in my favor. My mom had breast cancer in 1978 (I was 16) and had a unilateral mastectomy followed by the protocol of the day - electron radiation. The radiation damaged remaining lymph nodes and she ended up with severe lymphedema in 1 arm for the rest of her life. Fast forward to 2007 and she was diagnosed with cervical cancer with further organ removal. That same year, her youngest sister (my aunt was 60 - my age now) and upon a routine 6 month screening a tiny spot was seen in one breast. She opted for a double mastectomy with reconstruction. She went on a treatment protocol of a variety of chemo mixes. She went for routine follow ups and screenings and her tumor marker level began to rise (within a year or so). Body scan revealed it had metastasized to several organs already. While my mom had hormonal breast cancer - my aunt was Triple Negative - and it wasn't identified until after a bunch of the chemo treatments didn't work. She died at 62. My mom was then diagnosed with metastatic lung cancer in 2020 and she died in early 2021. Their only other sister opted for minimal surgery for her breast cancer. (She died of complications related to Alzheimers) We don't know whether or not their mom had breast cancer - she died of stomach cancer and it was thought that breast cancer could have been present. With this, I decided to have genetic testing done - this was 2010. I'm positive for the breast cancer gene. It was recommended at that time that I have pretty much all related removed with the idea that if the organ isn't there, I can't get cancer. I was supposed to have a breast sonogram, mammography AND an MRI every 6 months. I had been having yearly mammograms for quite some time and beside having dense breasts and few biopsies, nothing. The every 6 months didn't last too long. A few years later, my breast oncologist suggested I just have my ovaries and tubes removed as that reduces the risk greatly. I did so. Meanwhile, my aunt's kids are all adults now and we see each other every week. One of them found a breast oncologist in NYC whom she thinks is awesome - and when she went to her I gave her a copy of the genetic test I had done. That was like 2 years ago.. I made an appointment and will be going in April. Since there's so many new findings from the genetic testing I'm pretty sure I'll have to be retested. And that brings me to the question of whether or not I'd want to have a double done if it is recommended. Aside from the recovery factor - I'm not sure what other negatives I can find at this point. I think if the organ is there it's a 50% chance - you get it or you don't. If the organ isn't there... well.. it's 0% (I know these are NOT the actual %ages.

I've been doing the every 6 months thing since late 2019, it's tolerable for now but as soon as I do this surgery I suspect they will be all over me for the next kind. I'm worried about surgery setting off autoimmune issues, if I didn't have this I really wouldn't give any of it a moment's pause, chemo looks rough and I'm not sure I'd be able to tolerate it plus when the surgery is elective it seems a lot less traumatic. So far no-one is mentioning medication for me, only surgery - maybe they don't want to overwhelm me, I would be concerned about spooking me too if I had to do what they do

I know, thing is I am 100% sure he would never do this for me or mine so it's grating, like I know my conscience will force me to share the info for his child's sake but I will also hate myself for it.... literally hate myself.
:hug: Aww, please don't feel that way. You're not caving in, it's doing a GOOD thing, a kind thing, the decent thing, the thing you'd want done for your own kids. Grace and peace as you navigate the difficult decision of your own circumstances. :flower3:

So I had some kind of marker blood-work literally the next day, CA-125 which was clear and a sonogram that looked like a video of my insides, a few days late which was also clear so one weight off my mind. Umm, like, I have stuff to do and growing to be an annoying grandma full of hugs and nagging is on the list :)

Had a few more questions for the Oncologist and he scheduled me to do virtual again tomorrow so that's happening, and I invited DH and kids to participate in the decision. I know it's my body but whatever I do effects all of us & I genuinely believe groups make better decisions than individuals so we'll see what happens. It would seem I may be struggling what some call "analysis paralysis" and, admittedly, my family is thinking more clearly than me so I am inclined to defer to them.

Since the numbers are so off from what I first read I did more reading and that took the wind out of me, there is a family syndrome called HBOC which seems to land and that's sobering, it's why Angelina Jolie went to the great lengths she did. Feeling anxious but I just keep reminding myself that this advance warning is a blessing & it's good that my kids will hear stats from the Dr for themselves.

There is research into a micro RNA test but that's nowhere near ready for me yet so off I go, wish me luck to make good decisions.

You have my best thoughts and wishes to get through this. It is complicated and there is no answer that is best for everyone.

However, if you do decide to have a bilateral mastectomy, I think it’s important to know there are more options than many surgeons will tell you about.
- no reconstruction, the svelte look
- reconstruction with expanders to stretch the skin, and then implants (silicone or saline), at least 2 surgeries required and takes 4-8 months, implants will likely have to be replaced every 10 - 15 years (I believe this is the most common reconstruction option, as these surgeries are the simplest and the easiest to recover from)
- reconstruction with newer ‘extra skin‘ techniques that do not require expanders, and implants can be placed within weeks and not months, still pretty new and not widely available
- reconstruction using ‘flap‘ techniques, breasts are rebuilt using your own fat (no implants), done at the time of the mastectomy, recovery is harder, as the place the fat is taken from has to heal as well, but it’s only one surgery, and no worries about implants

I’m sure there are other options I don’t know about. I’m always surprised/disappointed how some surgeons really only want to tell you about their favorite option. Personally, I want to know all my options and then make the best choice for me - I wasn’t given that opportunity, but I would love to make sure other women do have the best choices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter