BOYS MEET WORLD... NEW! Crystal Palace review on p. 6

kahluacream

Mouseketeer
Cast of Characters:
Me (DW) The one who makes the ADRs
Him (DH) The one who loves to eat!
Dash (DS-5) The one who would rather be dining with the Incredibles
Little Mickey (DS-2) The one who just loves that Mouse!

The Scoop on Us:
It’s our first family trip to Disney World, and we’re staying at the Wilderness Lodge. (Woo Hoo!) :banana: We have a preschooler and a toddler, both very active little boys. Clearly, Victoria and Albert’s was not going to be an option for our motley crew… :rolleyes1
Our restaurant choices had to appeal to young kids with limited patience and picky appetites. These reviews are based on what mattered most to us : the quality of food we ate, the amount of fun we had, and how fast the service was.

MAY 7:
Chef Mickey’s (Dinner)
Since it’s our first family trip to Walt Disney World, meeting Mickey and the gang was priority numero uno for our two little guys. So where do we head for our first Disney dinner? Chef Mickey’s, of course!

After a hectic morning/ afternoon of travel by car, plane, and bus; it was so relaxing to hop on the boat from the Wilderness Lodge to the Contemporary Resort. Let the vacation begin! We left at 5:00 for our 5:45 ADR, and wound up getting there about half an hour early. I changed our littlest guy into the Mickey Mouse costume that he INSISTED on wearing to this dinner. Stuffing that costume in my carry-on was worth it just to hear him say, “Mickey will just wuv dese clothes!,” over and over. Meanwhile, Dash kept stealing glimpses at all the characters in the restaurant. Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Chip and Dale were making their rounds. Poor Donald got stuck standing in the middle of the buffet area all by himself. Our boys looked so excited at the prospect of finally meeting all of the characters.

Everyone at the podium got a kick out of Mickey, Jr. “Hey, Aren’t you supposed to be working tonight?,” one of the hostesses joked with our little “mouse”. He just buried his head in my shoulder during a rare moment of shyness. After checking in at the podium, we were given a pager and directed into the line for a souvenir photo. Our pager actually went off while waiting in this line, and one of the hostesses told us we could continue to wait in the looooooooong picture line or just go ahead and be seated. Needless to say, we opted for food first. (Note: We never did make it back to have the obligatory family photo done. Oops!)

The buffet looked great—especially since we had lunch on the run earlier that day. Our boys nibbled happily on chicken tenders, pizza, and fresh fruit. They loved the make-your-own sundae bar and had so much fun piling gummy bears (of all things!) on top of their ice cream. DH almost inhaled his peel and eat shrimp, hand carved turkey and prime rib . He gave the turkey a big thumbs up. :thumbsup2 I managed a few bitefuls of parmesan mashed potatoes which were really yummy, but there was too much going on for me to really eat a full meal. You moms out there know what I’m talking about…. Juggling autograph books, a digital camera, and a camcorder while cutting your toddler’s food into bite-sized pieces does not exactly give you a chance to eat all-you-can. ;)

Overall, the character interaction was great. Dash quickly befriended Chip, and they kept giving each other the “thumbs up” sign. (Dale was a little elusive tonight.) Mickey Mouse pointed at our little Mickey, then pointed to himself, and then shrugged his shoulders as if he was confused. Will the real Mickey Mouse please stand up????

Our ratings for Chef Mickey’s:
Food: B (Good variety, buffet food sure beat the salad bar at our local Ruby Tuesday’s!)
Fun: A (Good times!)

Fast: A (Seated really quickly with ADR, prompt service)

Next up: Where can you have lunch and play air hockey at the same time? That’s where we’re headed tomorrow…

Thanks for the great review. I'm looking forward to reading more. Chef Mickey's is our standard first night too! :)

Beth

Looking forward to the rest of the review. Our kids are getting older now, but we still look for the same things in a family meal that you do!

Sounds like the perfect start to vacation. I bet your little Mickey got tons of attention all night.

kahluacream said:
After checking in at the podium, we were given a pager and directed into the line for a souvenir photo. Our pager actually went off while waiting in this line, and one of the hostesses told us we could continue to wait in the looooooooong picture line or just go ahead and be seated. Needless to say, we opted for food first. (Note: We never did make it back to have the obligatory family photo done. Oops!)

Is this photo included in the cost of the dinner or do you have to pay extra for it?

Wonderful review! Chef Mickey's is a great way to start your vacation. I'll be waiting for next review.

I agree that dinner at Chef Mickey is the best way to start a vacation. It is just so festive! The food is pretty good but I go back mostly for the atmosphere and my man Mickey, he's such a cute chef!

BeckWhy said:
Is this photo included in the cost of the dinner or do you have to pay extra for it?

You have to pay extra for the photo, they bring it to your table after its processed, and you can decide whether to buy it or not.

Chef Mickey's is our first destination as well what a great way to kick off the Disney celebration.

BeckWhy said:

It is extra. They take it before you go in, then deliver it to your table where you can decide whether or not to buy it. You can buy just one sheet or the package. It was something like $30 for the package. It was priced lower than my kid's package the school takes.

Such a cute review! You sound like me. We have princess costumes all lined up and ready to go to WDW.

Great first review! I bet your little one was so cute in his Mickey costume, I can just picture it. :goodvibes

Excellent review. More please tho. I am pleased chef mickeys is getting the thumbs up as we have an ADR there for my DD's 12th Birthday.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I'd like to post a review for each restaurant we tried on the Disney Dining Plan, so maybe you can help keep me from slacking! ;)

MAY 8
TOY STORY PIZZA PLANET (Lunch)

The blast of AC felt great as soon as we walked in the doors of Pizza Planet. When we entered the restaurant at about 11:30, our immediate challenge was getting the kids past the giant room full of arcade games so that we could eat first. Let me assure you… This was no easy feat. It required planning, strategy, and a good measure of bribery to boot! (My line was, “Anyone who eats his pizza all gone gets to play air hockey!!!!!”)

DH ordered our food while the boys and I scoped out a table upstairs. The restaurant was almost empty since we were there so early. We got a nice table overlooking the games down below, which was much better than a window seat for entertaining my crew as we waited for our lunch.

It didn’t take long for DH to find us with his arms loaded down with two trays of food and drinks: personal pizzas and salads all around with huge chocolate chip cookies for dessert. The pizzas were so-so, but our Dash declared, “Buzz makes the best pizza ever!” The salad tasted like the prewashed variety you buy in a bag at your local grocery store. (In other words, for my kids, it was just like the kind mom makes. :laughing: ) Hey, at least we were eating something green! I’d say the cookies were probably the highlight of the meal… How can you go wrong with anything involving chocolate chips!?

When we finished eating, the Disney cleaning crew made a beeline for our table. This was something we experienced at just about every counter service restaurant; I think that’s the good old “Disney difference” at work for you; crumbs and trash disappear magically!

After lunch, we headed downstairs to make good on my air hockey deal with the boys. We started feeding dollar bills into the coin machine, and the kids would have happily stayed there all day. DH finally whispered, “We can play arcade games at home. Let’s get these kids out of here!!!” Al’s Toy Barn was close by, and all it took was an offer to meet Buzz and Woody to get us out the door…

Our ratings for Toy Story Pizza Planet:
Food: C (Average)
Fast: A (Only because we went early, there was a crowd when we left!)
Fun: B+ (The arcade was entertaining for little boys, and they loved the fact that they were at the infamous Pizza Planet.)

Next up: Our waiter yodels while serving us dinner. Can you guess where?

Can't think where the next review is coming from :confused3

Loved both reviews though - think we will skip Pizza Planet as our girls are not big Toy Story fans anyway. Would love to try Chef Mickeys though. Your little lad sounds adorable in his MM costume - have you got any pics?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter