BOULDER RIDGE VILLAS & COPPER CREEK VILLAS & CABINS: Wilderness Lodge DVC Expansion Thread

This just in!

@VbChristy just posted this on the WL/VWL. I am taking the WL IPO's (Itinerary Planning Office for CL bookings) comments as the first unofficial/official acknowledgement of the September start of the WL DVC expansion:

Screen Shot 2015-06-14 at 11.19.58 AM.png

We are not staying CL in December so no access to IPO but, as of this morning, reservations stated even after "researching their records" nothing Official about WL/VWL work past Sept. They did however acknowledge official word of "increased noise level" now thru Sept due to refurbishment. Isn't today the expiration date for the "Initial Review"? Not sure what that means but perhaps official word is coming soon?!

This just in!

@VbChristy just posted this on the WL/VWL. I am taking the WL IPO's (Itinerary Planning Office for CL bookings) comments as the first unofficial/official acknowledgement of the September start of the WL DVC expansion:

View attachment 102756

Funny I was told no work going on as yet as it was just rumors. We are going Sept 7th to the 11th. I assume we will be okay. I wish they would be truthful as staying club level is not cheap nor are the regular rooms.

The woman I called first said I called the wrong number, it was same number on my email they sent me. She gave me the correct number and I said nicely it is the same number I called. She said hump. Transfer me, this woman said the same thing. No work being done. No worries she said. She said Disney was very good ( haha) to let people know there will be anything done to the resort you are staying at. I know this is not true. Happened to us before. Geez wish I kept the CR Ressies.

There is a LOT of good data at the beginning of this thread!

First and foremost, that "end of Sept" next project start date pretty well coincides with the proposed start date on the filed expansion permits. I suspect Disney is working on the SOUTH Wing now to get THAT out of the way while waiting for permit approval....

Now - let's use a little history: the POLY.

If you were around the Poly during it's "expansion", you would have noticed the chaos & devastation around the FRONT of the Hotel, in order to create space and access for the workers. Now look closely at the proposed changes in WL parking lots and roads - There is ALREADY a very good staging/access area to the NORTH, by W. Wilderness Road, off World Drive. There is the BEGINING of a very good staging/access area to the SOUTH by way of W. Wilderness Road in the direction of the campgrounds.... but no parking lot yet. Well, the plans call for one, and I bet this gets done FIRST. Once done? Something important happens:

BOTH access/staging areas will be situated in such a way that Timberline Drive really should not need to be used for equipment movement. This wasn't (couldn't be?) done at the Poly.

Now - if the large project goes forward - just an opinion... yup, lots of noise & work. But (pure guess), I don't think it's going to be quite as devastating to guests as the Poly experience was. At least I hope so :).

South Florida Water Management District "Wilderness Rehab" Application UPDATE

The initial review of the application with the SFWMD ended on 14 June. This is the current project status:
Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 11.37.02 AM.png

On 10 June, the SFWMD sent their review of the application to Atkins Engineering, the project contractor. Disney/Atkins now has 90 days in which to respond or their application will be processed for denial, unless an extension is requested. Here is the response from the SFWMD:
Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 5.30.37 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 5.30.57 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 5.31.14 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 5.31.42 AM.png

Other than the unofficial/official response re:construction gave VBChristy earlier this week, has anyone else had the expansion acknowledged by Disney CM's? Since the letters above indicate a request for information, I was speculating that making the expansion official and logged as construction on whatever reference the CM's use will be delayed? Our reservations are in December this year and nothing is available under our offer except CL rooms which increase price over $1300. In the past, we have been moved even when rooms were not shown as available by the wonderful CM/Guest Services who handle the responses to the official construction letters. So, just waiting on pins and needles to hear when they "officially" acknowledge the construction/DVC expansion.

Last edited:
Other than the unofficial/official response re:construction gave VBChristy earlier this week, has anyone else had the expansion acknowledged by Disney CM's? Since the letters above indicate a request for information, I was speculating that making the expansion official and logged as construction on whatever reference the CM's use will be delayed? Our reservations are in December this year and nothing is available under our offer except CL rooms which increase price over $1300.
The "response" from the SFWMD for more information is a completely normal and expected part of the initial review process. Atkins has up to 90 days to "respond." The last response took less than a week, but thus far, no response has been posted publicly.

The 90-day period expires in September, when construction was predicted to begin. Whenever construction actually begins is still unknown and probably won't be publicly acknowledged by Disney until a month or two prior, but that's just a guess. It would basically take a non-response from Atkins/Disney to cancel this project or for them to withdraw the application. Anything is possible, but that seems unlikely at this stage; valuable time, money, and resources have already been expended. But again, anything is possible, just like with the "postponement" of the "Mediterranean Resort." We can only make predictions at this point based on publicly posted documents related to the project and what one or two CMs have said.

Gah!! I * just* booked a standard view room through one of those travel agent deals for the week before thanksgiving. I was patting myself on the back for the good deal we got. Now I'm in turmoil over what to do.

We have a will-be two year old that naps in the afternoon. So we will be in the room in the middle of the day. We wanted to be close to MK, because, well, toddler = MK. And we love the boat ride, besides. If they start construction in September, I'm speculating that we'll hit WL during clearing/digging stage. And our room facing it. So do we upgrade to a courtyard -- which might still be in shambles as well? Splurge very very painfully and go with Poly. Spend less and go to AKL (but spend money on a rental car). Spend a little more and head to one of the BW hotels (which we loved as DINKS, but not sure about a toddler when it'll probably be too cool for swimming and the bus to MK was terrible in my experience). It's all a gamble, and there's no perfect fit for us it seems.

I'm actually pretty ticked with Disney for not just being upfront with this (and also putting their poor WL staff on the front lines for angry guests). And I'm worried that if they do formally announce huge disruptions right before we go, I'll have little recourse due to being under a TA "agency exclusive" reservation.

Gah!! I * just* booked a standard view room through one of those travel agent deals for the week before thanksgiving. I was patting myself on the back for the good deal we got. Now I'm in turmoil over what to do.

We have a will-be two year old that naps in the afternoon. So we will be in the room in the middle of the day. We wanted to be close to MK, because, well, toddler = MK. And we love the boat ride, besides. If they start construction in September, I'm speculating that we'll hit WL during clearing/digging stage. And our room facing it. So do we upgrade to a courtyard -- which might still be in shambles as well? Splurge very very painfully and go with Poly. Spend less and go to AKL (but spend money on a rental car). Spend a little more and head to one of the BW hotels (which we loved as DINKS, but not sure about a toddler when it'll probably be too cool for swimming and the bus to MK was terrible in my experience). It's all a gamble, and there's no perfect fit for us it seems.

I'm actually pretty ticked with Disney for not just being upfront with this (and also putting their poor WL staff on the front lines for angry guests). And I'm worried that if they do formally announce huge disruptions right before we go, I'll have little recourse due to being under a TA "agency exclusive" reservation.

Actually? I think (no proof) that you are going to be GOLDEN.

By the time you are there - that work on the Main Hotel South Wing should be done. The periphery work should be started/starting. About 7 posts up.... I think first to go in is the infrastructure needed to get equipment INTO the proposed Cabin areas. Shielding oneself from this would suggest "get a main pool facing, or lobby facing room" - that would put most of the outer lodge BETWEEN you, and the noise. Put another way? I think it's going to be the Woods View rooms that will get the brunt of this.

Oh - FYI - we're going to be in the VWL EXACTLY the same time :).

Oh, but we're standard view, which is on the same side as woods. Just checked and there are no Courtyard rooms available for our stay. Blah.

Do you think the construction would be close enough to hear noise when around the main pool area

All of the following is a guess.... but if one looks at the plans for the "Major Project"? I think you'll come to the same conclusion. Rather than repeat a previous post....

1) What is happening NOW in the South Wing will be finished VERY shortly - if you will show up Sept/after? It's not a consideration.
2) IF WDW gets it's permits... the first action we will see will involve the existing PL to the NORTH (World Drive to Wilderness Drive), and the construction of a proposed PL to the SOUTH (Wilderness Drive toward the Campgrounds). This MUST be done to provide equipment staging for the roads that don't exist, or are insufficient, to get heavy equipment into the N and S beach areas.
3) Now check 2). It's important. We know the VWL pool area is going to get revamped. Quick - does anyone think WDW is going to dynamite a hole in the VWL to get EQUIPMENT into that area? FAR better to get those roads in the REAR in shape. I suspect (again, no data) that the pool rework will be toward the TAIL END of the project - not the FRONT END.

So - noise. ALL OF THIS IS OPINION ... but if I were fighting this war? I would use two teams, working from the SOUTH and NORTH of the main lodge. They would establish, or widen, roads toward the beach area. Over a couple of years, the cabins would be built. Tail end? Attack the VWL pool area, from the REAR.

Of COURSE I could be wrong.... but I really doubt Disney wants to carve a path of destruction right THROUGH the lodge - would YOU? OK, given this.... how do get bulldozers INTO that beach area? I don't think they are going to put 'em on the boats :). They tend to be heavy :).

WHY is this important: if you have a gross GUESS at HOW this project can be accomplished, without severe destruction to the Lodge? THIS will give you an idea of where you want to be at any given TIME. Folks - it's a three year project.... that sweet spot at the lodge is going to MOVE as time goes on. I don't think Disney is going to give us any detailed work plans :). From Sept 2015 to (at least) 2017, we're going to need on the ground reports of what is actually occurring - so we can help folks decide where the "best bet" is for booking a room.

Again - I really hope we have a couple of Civil Engineers on the board, that can make a BETTER prediction of how they think this project will unfold. I'm just a dirt tired retired Chemist.... and I'm totally guessing. Please folks - tell me I'm full of dung, and give YOUR better informed assessment of how YOU would attack this project - it will help a whole LOAD of folks.

I saw an article online that was from the Orlando Sentinal 6-19 re: Wilderness Lodge DVC Cabins so, maybe official acknowledgement from Disney is coming sooner than later? Fingers crossed here!

I saw an article online that was from the Orlando Sentinal 6-19 re: Wilderness Lodge DVC Cabins so, maybe official acknowledgement from Disney is coming sooner than later? Fingers crossed here!

I doubt Disney will put it up on website or tell you about until they have to. Just my two cents. I still plan on staying there early Sept. If they are in full force without notifying guests they will have many upset guests.

If past practice is any indication it won't be announced until very close to completion. There are some very restrictive FL laws concerning time shares that limit what they can say.

Thank you for posting the link. Another article, with a bit more detail, preceded the OS article by a few days and is located HERE. The articles really just mention the permits that were filed last month and I don't think they have anything to do with any official announcement from WL/WDW.

If past practice is any indication it won't be announced until very close to completion. There are some very restrictive FL laws concerning time shares that limit what they can say.
You're absolutely correct about the DVC-timeshare aspect of the project. Guests will likely receive a notification from the WL GM stating that there may be some "noise" or "construction" or perhaps a pool closure while they work their "magic" to "enhance" the resort, well before any announcement of new villas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter