Both parks in one day...itinerary help

Zagtiger

Earning My Ears
Hi. We are planning our first trip to DLR for this Friday, June 2 (DH, 11yo son, 7yo son and myself). This trip is part of a SoCal vacation and we are only spending one day in the parks. Any general advice on trying to hit both in one day? My boys are big Star Wars fans and really want to do the Jedi training show because we got rained out at the Jedi show in WDW. Our DCA priority is RSR. What are the chances we can get FP for Radiator Springs on Friday late afternoon? If we can't get FP, should we wait until after WOC to ride it? Thanks!

If at all possible, get there an hour before opening so that you can get off to a running start. You will get the most done in the morning hours. Sign up for Jedi Training early and have both boys with you (CMs will need to see both kids). Use FP to your advantage. If you and your boys are comfortable with doing single rider, that can help you get more done, too. Have you thought about doing a dining package for WOC? There are 3 FP Dining Packages (WCT, Ariel's, and CCR) and the Dessert Party (the only option with chairs). A dining package will save you lots of time waiting and help you get a better view (important for your 7yo). With a free FP, you could be investing 60-90 minutes to guarantee good viewing spots. The Dessert Party will require the least amount of waiting. I wouldn't expect RSR FPs to be available in the later afternoon. Start checking the DLR app to see what time RSR FPs are running out each day before your trip. And remember that return times are strictly enforced. So don't get a return time that clashes with WOC or something else.

Thanks so much. I should have mentioned that we did book the WOC dessert package to make sure we get to see it and to ensure get seats/a good sptot (Plus, we wont have adjusted from Central time yet and will be tired by 9pm Pacific). What's the youngest you would send your kids through single rider? I think we will be able to hit the highlights we want to hit (Not interested in California Screaming, GotG, Splas Mountain) - Jedi show, Hyperspace Mountain, Indiana Jones, TS Midway Mania, the other TS ride, meet Star Wars characters. I'm just concerned about germtring RSR in.

Definitely go to sign up for Jedi Academy first. Watch the app to see when you will need to send a runner over to get FPs for RSR. The app will show you the return times if you pulled a FP right at that moment. For example, I'm looking at the app right now (9:07am PT) and if I pulled a FP right now then my return time would be between 11:10am and 12:10pm. I'm guessing you would want to pull a FP sometime mid-morning to get a late afternoon FP. RSR FPs typically run out by noon. You will need to give all your tickets to a runner to take them over to DCA to get the FPs. After your kids have ridden it once, they may feel comfortable enough to ride it single rider the second time. I know my DS9 would not do it, but other kids would probably be OK.

The main thing you have to think about for single rider is -- how will your child handle it if the ride breaks down and he's stuck on it for 30 minutes without you? Or if they have to be taken out in some way other than on the ride? Different kids handle things differently, but I'd be hesitant with a 7 year-old.

There's no way you will be able to pull a RSR FP on a Friday late afternoon ... don't count on later than noon and be sure you don't have another FP that might keep you from being able to pull RSR, even a DL FP since the parks are linked now. We have gotten them as late as 2, but that was on a day that wasn't very busy and you will be at DCA on a busy day. You will want to keep a close eye on return times.

I'd do as much as I could in Tomorrowland first if you're Star Wars fans ... have one adult take the boys to Jedi training line first thing while the other parent pulls FPs for HSM. Try to ride Star Tours ASAP, possibly using FP for that as well. Taking full advantage of FP will be key.

You won't be able to ride RSR after WOC on Friday because DCA closes at 10 and WOC is at 9:45. Not only that, but Friday is Grad Night so DCA will likely be very busy in the evening. Get a FP.

Thanks so much. I should have mentioned that we did book the WOC dessert package to make sure we get to see it and to ensure get seats/a good sptot (Plus, we wont have adjusted from Central time yet and will be tired by 9pm Pacific). What's the youngest you would send your kids through single rider? I think we will be able to hit the highlights we want to hit (Not interested in California Screaming, GotG, Splas Mountain) - Jedi show, Hyperspace Mountain, Indiana Jones, TS Midway Mania, the other TS ride, meet Star Wars characters. I'm just concerned about germtring RSR in.

I think it will be back to regular Space Mountain on Friday, so you will have to decide if that is still of interest to you if it is not Star Wars themed. Even with the GotG hype, I wouldn't expect fastpasses for RSR to last past noon especially since I have read that they are starting distribution during the early entry hour these days. There is only one Toy Story ride at Disneyland/DCA, so if TS is Toy Story I'm not sure what "the other TS ride" is that you are thinking of.

I think it will be back to regular Space Mountain on Friday, so you will have to decide if that is still of interest to you if it is not Star Wars themed. Even with the GotG hype, I wouldn't expect fastpasses for RSR to last past noon especially since I have read that they are starting distribution during the early entry hour these days. There is only one Toy Story ride at Disneyland/DCA, so if TS is Toy Story I'm not sure what "the other TS ride" is that you are thinking of.

Buzz Light Year Astro Blasters is a Toy Story ride (as in based on the movie).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter