Booster seat and plane/rental car?

bethbuchall

DIS Veteran
My 4 year old (turning 5 on our trip) still uses a booster seat in the car for safety reasons. I know that I cannot use a booster seat on the plane (he is too heavy to use the high-back as a carseat). How do I have to "package" the booster to check it? I have my choice between taking his regular high-back booster or a no-back booster (which he is the proper size for). Dh thinks that we can just leave the booster at home, since he can legally ride without one. I'm not doing that.

Also, does anyone know if there are three shoulder belts in the back seat of the full-size cars at National? Last time I didn't give that any thought, because ds was still in a regular car seat.

Thanks!

Beth

Originally posted by bethbuchall
My 4 year old (turning 5 on our trip) still uses a booster seat in the car for safety reasons. I know that I cannot use a booster seat on the plane (he is too heavy to use the high-back as a carseat). How do I have to "package" the booster to check it? I have my choice between taking his regular high-back booster or a no-back booster (which he is the proper size for). Dh thinks that we can just leave the booster at home, since he can legally ride without one. I'm not doing that.

Also, does anyone know if there are three shoulder belts in the back seat of the full-size cars at National? Last time I didn't give that any thought, because ds was still in a regular car seat.

When we rented a full size thru National last December it only had 2 shoulder seat belts and the middle one was only a lapbelt.

We bought the no back booster seats specifically for our Disney trips as I was so tired of bringing 2 heavy car seats and then booster seats. I then bought a car seat bag for traveling and both of my no back booster seats fit into it perfectly and then I just check the bag. I bought it at Babies R US for $20. It would be too big, though, for only one no back booster seat.

My DH always suggests we just leave the booster seat at home (since DDs legally don't need them) cause he's the one who has to carry it...but he doesn't mind now that I have the 2 smaller booster seats in the one travel bag!:teeth:

Actually your child will need a booster seat in FL, since their laws state a child needs to be in some sort of safety seat until the age of 5. You can bring the backless seat on the plane as a carry-on and place it in the overhead compartment, since it's so small. I have a high back booster seat, but the height is adjustable, so it's for use when they get older than 5. DD is 6, and she still has plenty of room to go in hers. I just place her's in a car seat bag I bought at Babies R Us, and check it with luggage. You might not need something so big, a small duffle probably would do for a backless booster.

Whenever we've flow with the backless booster seats (2 of them) we just carry them up to the luggage check in, they've popped them both into one very heavy, clear plastic bag that seals shut, and checked them. They take them from there, we get them with the luggage, hop in the rental, and drive off. You could also just ask for the bag and gate check them if you're worried about loosing them.
The bag makes them pretty easy to carry out to the car, also.

Thanks for the answers! I know that I'll never convince dh to take the high-back booster, and ds is still short enough (but within the weight limits) to use the backless one. I also didn't know that he would legally need a booster in FL. It's only 40 and 40 in NY, but I believe in at least 6 and 60 and have managed to keep the older two until 8 (but not 80).

If there is only a lap belt in the middle back, is the largest person the safest there? I know that I can't put the booster there. I guess it will be ds #1 who is 13.

Beth

Car seat laws differ from state to state. Right next door in NJ, our law is 8 AND 80 lbs for a booster seat. Since DD only weighs about 45 lbs soaking wet (and is 6) she's going to be in a booster for a LONG time. This law is also in effect in PA, that I know of. I'm sure it's effective in other states. Luckily for me, NJ has the toughest car seat laws, so I don't have to worry. But if you're driving through NJ, and aren't adhearing to the laws you will get a hefty ticket!!!

Originally posted by bethbuchall
I also didn't know that he would legally need a booster in FL.

Unless the law has changed and the Florida Dept of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles website is not updated, the age a child MUST be in a booster seat or car seat is still UNDER 4.

MyFlorida.com

All children under the age of 18 must be buckled up while riding in any car, pickup truck, or van on Florida's roads, no matter where they are sitting in the vehicle.

Children through the age of 3 must be secured in a federally approved child-restraint seat.

Children ages 4 through 5 must be secured by either a federally approved child-restraint seat OR a safety belt.

Drivers are responsible for buckling up the child.

The cost to a violator will be a minimum of $60.00 plus $10.00 court costs.

Has this law changed?

I think 8 AND 80 is a bit ridiculous. Heck, my SIL is only about 85 pounds, and she is an adult. I can see 8 AND a height requirement, but not 80 pounds. My dd is just hitting 80 at almost 11, and my 13 yo ds barely tops 80 and is almost 5'2". Can you see me asking him to sit in a booster. :earseek: Everything I've seen about determining whether a child is ready to use only the car's seatbelts is based more on height than weight...if the knees bend over the seat when the child is seated all the way back, where the straps hit, etc.

beattyfamily--those were the requirements that I was going by thinking that ds wouldn't be required by law to have a booster.

Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter