Booking while on board suggestions

rentayenta

DIS Veteran
Our first Disney Cruise is just under 11 months away and I already know i'm going to take advantage of the on board discounts and book another cruise.

Wondering what/where to book and how far out we can book? I'm thinking I'll book a graduation cruise for DD in 2015. I know sounds like it's forever away but in all reality, its not especially when you're a freak planner like I am. :p

How much info will be out for 2015 by next January? Is it safe to look at June 2014 assuming the itineraries and prices will be similar for 2015?

No Alaska. We'd want more tropical. Any suggestions? They'll be 5 of us.

You can book as far out as is released at the time. I think many are hoping there will be different itineraries in 2015, but the basic 3/4 & 7 nights out of PC are the ones you can count on. They might release the Dream/Fantasy through June or so in 2015 by late 2013 based on past history -- but DCL does like to make us wait.

You can book as far out as is released at the time. I think many are hoping there will be different itineraries in 2015, but the basic 3/4 & 7 nights out of PC are the ones you can count on. They might release the Dream/Fantasy through June or so in 2015 by late 2013 based on past history -- but DCL does like to make us wait.

Thank you. I am noticing they like to keep people waiting, why is that? Is that typical for other cruise lines?

I'll look into those cruises out of Port Canaveral. We're leaving from Miami on our first cruise. It's so much cheaper to fly into Fort Lauderdale than Miami or Orlando so I hope they continue cruises out of Miami. For PC do you fly into Orlando?

If the date you want has not been released yet you can book a short cruise during off season as a place holder. This will keep your deposit amount low while locking in the on board booking perks. When your date is released you can transfer your booking to the new date and keep all perks, including the 10% deposit (non-on board bookings require 20%). We usually book a January 3-day in an inside cabin when we need a place holder date and our deposit is between $90 and $150, depending on the number of passengers in the cabin.

I've got a question about booking a "dummy cruise" too... We are sailing this May on the Wonder and I plan on booking a future cruise to Alaska (not sure when we will actually be able to go). I want to have a stateroom with a veranda, but should I book an inside stateroom to keep the deposit amount low and then change my category when I transfer my ressie to my "real" cruise? Will my OBC increase too when I book a more expensive room?

I've got a question about booking a "dummy cruise" too... We are sailing this May on the Wonder and I plan on booking a future cruise to Alaska (not sure when we will actually be able to go). I want to have a stateroom with a veranda, but should I book an inside stateroom to keep the deposit amount low and then change my category when I transfer my ressie to my "real" cruise? Will my OBC increase too when I book a more expensive room?

If your sail date is not yet available that is what I would do. We usually book a 3-day cruise even if we know we will end up on a 7-day. Just be prepared to pay the additional deposit amount when you switch to the sailing/stateroom level you want. If your sail date is already available it is best to just book the date and stateroom level you want to lock in the price.

As for the OBC amount, it is tied to the length of your sailing, not the price. Three and four day cruises get $100 OBC per stateroom. Seven day and longer cruises get $200 per stateroom.

I don't know that specifically. However, we booked a verandah room onboard last October for an Alaska cruise and when the 2014 Alaska dates opened up our travel agent immediatly re-booked us for the date we requested. We got a KILLER great room and had to pay $124 to keep the deposit current.

I'm so excited now to go! Hope your plans work out :)

We usually book a January 3-day in an inside cabin when we need a place holder date and our deposit is between $90 and $150, depending on the number of passengers in the cabin.

Do you have to book initially with the number of people going? If someone is not on the initial booking do they not get the 10% off if they are added later?

If the date you want has not been released yet you can book a short cruise during off season as a place holder. This will keep your deposit amount low while locking in the on board booking perks. When your date is released you can transfer your booking to the new date and keep all perks, including the 10% deposit (non-on board bookings require 20%). We usually book a January 3-day in an inside cabin when we need a place holder date and our deposit is between $90 and $150, depending on the number of passengers in the cabin.

:thumbsup2 Thank you, that's a great idea. I'll go for the cheapest stateroom and then change once dates are released. My only concern is holding up a stateroom from someone who actually plans on taking my dummy cruise.

:thumbsup2 Thank you, that's a great idea. I'll go for the cheapest stateroom and then change once dates are released. My only concern is holding up a stateroom from someone who actually plans on taking my dummy cruise.

Make sure you tell the on board agent you want to make a place holder booking and they know what to do. You will not be assigned a cabin that way, so no taking a cabin from someone that may want it down the line.

Do you have to book initially with the number of people going? If someone is not on the initial booking do they not get the 10% off if they are added later?

Booking extra people later is at the current price without the discount. We always book 4 and then drop to a lower number if all 4 are not going.

That's not what I have been told. I have been told as long as they are in the same cabin its the same rate and 10% as the original rezzie

I have just signed me and my wife up for our first cruise. It is not until 2014, but I want to make sure I understand the on-board booking discount.

As I understand it, if we book a new reservation on board, we get a 10% discount on the cruise fare, and only have to pay a 10% deposit?

I am sure this question has been answered before, but I haven't found it: If we do as suggested, and book a short dummy reservation for a 3/4 night cruise, and then later change it to a 7 night cruise that we actually want, we will still get the 10% off the entire 7 night cruise fare?

Is rescheduling a dummy cruise something that needs to be done by a travel agent, or can I do it myself?

Thanks!

Make sure you tell the on board agent you want to make a place holder booking and they know what to do. You will not be assigned a cabin that way, so no taking a cabin from someone that may want it down the line.

Perfect, thank you. :thumbsup2 Will I need to book a cabin that fits five (as ultimately they'll be 5 of us) or can I book a smaller one (read cheaper) that fits less people?

When I booked my "Dummy Cruise" I booked a 3 day cruise out of PC, cheapest room they had as far out as they could go for one person. Then when I found the cruise I wanted I changed it to a 7 day cruise out of Galveston, Deluxe inside room for two people. All the OBC were based on the changed cruise but the original deposit was based on the 3 day cruise.

When I booked my "Dummy Cruise" I booked a 3 day cruise out of PC, cheapest room they had as far out as they could go for one person. Then when I found the cruise I wanted I changed it to a 7 day cruise out of Galveston, Deluxe inside room for two people. All the OBC were based on the changed cruise but the original deposit was based on the 3 day cruise.

Awesome! So basically the only constant has to be the actual cruise line. :p :cool1: Good news, thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter