Booking tastings/mixology advice (offered)

DisneYE

DIS Veteran
Not that anyone's asked or hasn't been asked before, but I'll offer some advice based on our recent Dec27 NYE's Wonder cruise.

When we did our bookings for activities online a couple of weeks before sailing (we booked the cruise late), there were virtually no spots left for any drink tasting/mixology (except for 1 on the 1st day - champagne) - or PALO for brunch or dinner. - So I was a bit disheartened, as I do enjoy these quite a lot.

The minute we got on the ship on embarkation day, we went to the GS desk and asked to be put on waiting lists to any tastings available (and also Palo brunch)

It turns out they had spots for all the tastings and for Palo brunch on all 7 days.
We booked 6 tasting experiences and one Palo brunch.
The Palo brunch we did, besides being amazing, was half empty from noon-1.00 - So I can't understand why it was listed as "sold out" everyday on the DCL website.

So if you're bummed to see some of these unavailable online on your DCL activities account - Do not despair, it seems there are always spots available.
Go to the GS desk as soon as you embark.

Cheers and happy sailings to those cruising soon.

This is great to know about the tastings as I am silver and logged on for our upcoming cruise to book mixology and all of them were "sold out" immediately. Never had that happen on any of my previous cruises so maybe we have a bunch of platinum and gold people cruising.

DCL always holds back spots for onboard booking. We got everything we wanted for our upcoming trip, but when we haven't i have always been able to get them once on board if I go straight to the changes desk.

Also, there will be tastings available once on ship that we not offered at all online. Check with the desk when you board, or check the navigators to find them.

This really made my day.
We are silver and we’re able to book a mixology but my parents, who are first timer cruisers, weren’t able to get the class when booking opened for them.
Question, are all of the events listed somewhere once your board or donyou just have to go to guest services on the ship and ask?
I’m thinking there could be more things offered that I’m not aware of.

Guest services will be able to tell you about anything ticketed on day 1. For things that don't require a ticket you will need to check the navigator daily.

We’ve been very lucky and have booked everything we’ve wanted for our first 3 cruises (don’t know how that happened!). There was even a cabana available when I logged in as silver for our latest cruise, which seemed crazy to me. (Of course by the time I decided to pull the trigger it was gone.) But I’m glad to know that if it hadn’t worked out I probably could get what I want once on board.

Also, I think they purposefully underbook Palo to preserve a quiet relaxing atmosphere, so even when they’re sold out it doesn’t seem full.

Question, are all of the events listed somewhere once your board or donyou just have to go to guest services on the ship and ask?
I’m thinking there could be more things offered that I’m not aware of.

The Navigator they give you when you check in will list a number of things as well as where to go to sign up for things such as tastings (sometimes there is a particular lounge they want you to go to for this). We usually just go to GS to ask about tastings as they can give you the whole schedule.

Thanks for the info! We are going on the Fantasy in a couple months. We wanted the wine and mojito tastings. I was able to get the mojito but wine was sold out when I logged in at mid-night for silver bookings. We are traveling with new cruisers and the mojito sold out before their window opened.

I plan to continue to check the website hoping for cancellations but nice to know we have a chance to book onboard if nothing opens before. We have a 10:30 PAT, so we should get a low boarding group.

I'm sailing in Feb and the person I've been talking to about a private tasting has said there is a new policy for 2019 and that all tastings have been placed online. She's certainly made it sound like there won't be much availability to book once onboard. I'm curious to see what the experience is for January cruises.

I don't know if this is accurate or not, but cruises for last year may be quite different than ones in 2019. Hopefully someone will be able to let us know soon

I'm sailing in Feb and the person I've been talking to about a private tasting has said there is a new policy for 2019 and that all tastings have been placed online. She's certainly made it sound like there won't be much availability to book once onboard. I'm curious to see what the experience is for January cruises.

I don't know if this is accurate or not, but cruises for last year may be quite different than ones in 2019. Hopefully someone will be able to let us know soon

Given that there are like 5 tastings that have been available for booking for the 2/17 Wonder cruise, I will be SHOCKED if there are not more offered. That is a TINY amount, even for a 4-night.

Given that there are like 5 tastings that have been available for booking for the 2/17 Wonder cruise, I will be SHOCKED if there are not more offered. That is a TINY amount, even for a 4-night.

Hopefully you're right. I honestly don't understand what they are doing. Our cruise shows lots, but they were basically all booked before the silver window opened.

How much are the tastings? The mojito one sounds like something I would definitely love to do.

How much are the tastings? The mojito one sounds like something I would definitely love to do.

I think the mojito one is $25 - none of the tastings are more than $32 iirc.
Most of them are really good. I've done them all except the chocolate/liquor one.
Tastings are a fun adult activity that takes up about an hour, more if you stay and chat with your fellow cruise mates.
Try going after lunch or dinner as they do really give you a lot to drink (imo, I don't drink a lot) and if you go with an empty stomach you'll get drunk real fast.

These are the prices currently listed for the April 13 Fantasy sailing:

• Amari $23
  • Beer $23
  • Bourbon $28
  • Champagne $38
  • Chocolate & Liquor $37
  • Cognac $28
  • Martini $25
  • Mixology $25
  • Mojito & Caipirinha $23
  • Rum $28
  • Stem to Stern Wine $25
  • Tequila & Margarita $23
  • Whiskey $28

There will be a bar you can sign up for tastings when you board. On the Fantasy, it's the carousel bar. There were a lot of openings when we went at noon.

There is a Sail Away Tasting at Senses - "To celebrate the start of your vacation, sample and learn about our signature mimosa, Bloody Mary and 3 non-alcoholic, craft juice beverages during this unique, 30-minute Embarkation Day experience at Senses Juice Bar."

$38 which seems like a LOT for only 2 alcoholic drinks and some juices!

There is a Sail Away Tasting at Senses - "To celebrate the start of your vacation, sample and learn about our signature mimosa, Bloody Mary and 3 non-alcoholic, craft juice beverages during this unique, 30-minute Embarkation Day experience at Senses Juice Bar."

$38 which seems like a LOT for only 2 alcoholic drinks and some juices!

Its preposterous....I can't think anyone would go to that... I predict they'll cancel it eventually. its a scam imo.

Does anyone know the cancellation policy for tasking bookings?

If you booked online, just cancel it.
If booked onboard you can cancel up to an hour before it starts and you get your money back. I canceled a tasting on our last cruise after a dinner as I had too much to drink and the tasting would have knocked me out completely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter