Booking Room Only and A Few Other ?'s

Blue62

Mouseketeer
I'm going to consolidate several questions into this post because I am sure that those that can answer my first ? probably have good ideas regarding the others.

#1 In booking resorts in a room only fashion and purchasing the park admission seperately do you lose early entry or whatever it is now called? Is early entry for package consumers only or is that a perk extended to all Disney resort guests?

#2 Crowds pre-Christmas, Dec. 19 to 23? I'm getting conflicting information from books or at least vague enough that I am confused. Is this a very crowded time, as I understand Christmas Day and thereafter to be, or is the week prior a much slower time?

#3 Never been to Florida in December... the kids want to swim (of course!). Is this possible? Are people swimming in the pools or is it too cool out? What of indoor pools, any Disney resorts have one or maybe some of the better off-property hotels?

#4 Thinking of Port Orleans or Wilderness Lodge. I'm assuming WL is great at Christmas, how is the Port Orleans theming at this time of year?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide. Appreciate it!

#1) Is early entry for package consumers only or is that a perk extended to all Disney resort guests?

All Disney resort guest can use Extra Magic Hour.

#2) Crowds pre-Christmas, Dec. 19 to 23? I'm getting conflicting information from books or at least vague enough that I am confused. Is this a very crowded time, as I understand Christmas Day and thereafter to be, or is the week prior a much slower time?

Never been, but it should be slower...holiday rates begin December 20, so I would think that crowds will begin to slowly increase then...

You can never get a straight answer to crowd questions -- see some of the Jersey week threads! One mans crowd is another mans walk in the park.

#3) Never been to Florida in December... the kids want to swim (of course!). Is this possible? Are people swimming in the pools or is it too cool out? What of indoor pools, any Disney resorts have one or maybe some of the better off-property hotels?

No indoor pools at Disney resorts -- but ALL Disney pools are heated. People swim all year.

I can't answer your last question.

-Joe

Welcome to the DISboards. I can help with some questions--we've been in December in 2000 and 2002.

EE: is open to all Disney resort guests, not just those staying on a package.

Crowds: I haen't been in December during your time period, but I would expect some crowds, but not nearly what they will be after Christmas.

Swimming: We've been able to swim at least one day on both of our trips, even though both trips also had some really cold weather. Be prepared for either extreme.

Decorations: WL is stunning. We toured all the resorts on our 2000 trip, and although I don't remember POFQ, I remember thinking all the decorations were beautiful. I love the resort POFQ--it may even be my favorite, of course, that was where we stayed first so I have fond memories.

#1 In booking resorts in a room only fashion and purchasing the park admission seperately do you lose early entry or whatever it is now called? Is early entry for package consumers only or is that a perk extended to all Disney resort guests?

Room only and package guests receive the early entry perk

#2 Crowds pre-Christmas, Dec. 19 to 23? I'm getting conflicting information from books or at least vague enough that I am confused. Is this a very crowded time, as I understand Christmas Day and thereafter to be, or is the week prior a much slower time?

Crowds will continue to grow during the time period you listed, but the insanity will happen between the 25th and the 31st.

#3 Never been to Florida in December... the kids want to swim (of course!). Is this possible? Are people swimming in the pools or is it too cool out? What of indoor pools, any Disney resorts have one or maybe some of the better off-property hotels?

No need for an indoor pool (cannot name a resort in Orlando that has one..maybe Gaylord Palms?) All Disney pools are heated, and you never know, most Decembers here are usually quite mild with temps in the mid to upper 70's.

#4 Thinking of Port Orleans or Wilderness Lodge. I'm assuming WL is great at Christmas, how is the Port Orleans theming at this time of year?

Neither of the Port Orleans resorts (either RS or FQ) have the BIG tree like the WL. The theming for Christmas at PO is in keeping with the theme of the hotel and is still quite festive. Just not what I would call "grand".

Thanks everybody.

Let me ask another question regarding the Extra Magic Hour. To get this perk do I purchase the park passes at the Disney resort? Or is it by room key? How is it that you are recogmized for this?

We've stayed on site several years ago. I can't remember if the room key was also the admission ticket.

Thanks

If you purchased a package, your ticket is your room key. If you purchased room only and added on Ultimate Park Hoppers, your ticket is your room key. If you booked room only and have purchased park hopper tickets separately, you will be required to show your room key for early entry. You can pre-purchase your park hoppers anywhere. Ticketmania sometimes has discounts, AAA members have discounts also. Definitely look around for your best option. Deb Willis's site has some very good information on ticket pricing comparisons:
http://www.allearsnet.com/pl/ticketchart.htm

Tammi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter