• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Booking Packages

Amunet

DIS Veteran
Hello,

I hope this is the right place to ask this question: When do full packages and/or discount packages normally release for February? When I say full packages, I mean the kind where you can reserve the dining plan as well.
Thus far, I have only found one package that goes into 2022 but it doesn't include any dining plan options.

I've only been to Universal once (a few months after Wizarding World opened), so it's been quite a while and I'm not quite familiar with their potential release dates of packages/discounts as I am with Disney.

Thank you! :flower3:

Disney and Universal are very different when it comes to packages. This is likely due the fact that Universal doesn't own their resorts (they are operated by Loews).

There is virtually no benefit to booking a package for Universal. You will pretty much pay the same (or sometimes less if you find a good ticket deal) if you were to book the pieces separately. Plus you will have the benefit of being able to cancel your hotel if you need to without any cancellation fees that you would pay if you cancelled a package.

Also, dining plan is very different from Disney. It's not usable at any of the hotel restuarants. So my reccomendation is that you book the pieces separately.

Just my 2 cents

We've always booked hotels ourselves with APH rates, as it was much cheaper than the packages. The UO dining plans didn't really seem to save much money, so we opted not to go that route...

Ah okay, that is helpful, thank you.

Yeah, it's weird the dining plan doesn't apply to resort dining

I suspect it is because the resorts are not owned by Universal.

In general, UO planning is much different (and easier IMO) than Disney. Things like packages and dining plans aren't big money savers, and can actually end up costing more. I find that most of the planning revolves around booking the room. Once I get an APH rate for the dates I need, that is basically it. We stay at deluxe resorts, so the EPs make it so we don't really have to plan for rides at the parks. We rarely make restaurant reservations, though it seems like they are starting to become more important than in the past...

I suspect it is because the resorts are not owned by Universal.

In general, UO planning is much different (and easier IMO) than Disney. Things like packages and dining plans aren't big money savers, and can actually end up costing more. I find that most of the planning revolves around booking the room. Once I get an APH rate for the dates I need, that is basically it. We stay at deluxe resorts, so the EPs make it so we don't really have to plan for rides at the parks. We rarely make restaurant reservations, though it seems like they are starting to become more important than in the past...
Ah, thank you, that is good to hear. We are just narrowing down which hotel now. Finances do play a part so we are weighing our options. They are Cabana Bay, Sapphire Falls, and Royal Pacific.

My first question is how much are EPs worth to you? The answer and the price differences between the hotels will pretty much tell you whether you want RPR or CBR/SF. If you decide EPs aren't worth the cost for your trip, then you have CBR or SF to choose from. (Note that I tend to consider SF to be a newer version of RPR but without EPs or a CL.) The choice for me then becomes how much less expensive is one over the other (comparing base rooms)? I tend to go for the cheaper option. But if the costs are about the same, do I want a nicer hotel with Water Taxis? SF may be the choice. If I don't care too much about the buses over the Water Taxis, I'll go with CBR (and if finances are my concern, this tends to be my answer). If I'm worried about how small the CBR room is, a family suite at CBR might still be less expensive than a base room at SF which could get me more room to spread out in. Plus, CBR has the bowling alley, more pool choices, and the food court.

I've never actually stayed at SF due to either wanting EPs (meaning I stay at one of the Deluxe hotels) or I go for the less expensive option (CBR). SF is kind of the middle child for me. I have walked over to SF to eat in its restaurant, but unless they have some sale fare going where it is less expensive than the lower hotels, it just doesn't usually make sense for me.

When deciding between hotels, make sure to compare the APH rates since they are significant (30-45%). For our trips, the deluxe resorts tended to run about $150-175 per night more than the value resorts. With 4 in our family, that is< $50 per person per day for EPs, ignoring all of the other benefits (nicer rooms, shorter distance to parks, boat access). Since we go during busy times, EPs are basically required for us. Considering the cost of buying EPs separately, I look at the deluxe resorts as basically "free".

Obviously, the math is different for everyone based on family size, the crowd levels, the length of stay, and the total cost of the trip. But when I compare prices to Disney World, staying at a deluxe resort at UO looks quite inexpensive...

Thank you everyone for helping me out!
We decided on Royal Pacific for a 2/3-7/22 stay :) Just booked the hotel reservation and it was about $300 less then the last time I looked :eek:

You are going to love it at RPR! Having EPs and being within walking/boating distance is a game changer. The shorter lines let you sleep in if you want and still have times for extra activities. Considering how much we get done in a day at UO, it was so much more relaxing than our Disney trips. We rarely even touch our car during our stay.

Definitely consider APs for everyone if you have the possibility of returning for a second (and third) trip. Before all the recent price adjustments, it used to be around $20 to upgrade to a 2 park park-to-park ticket to a Seasonal Pass. It is so nice not having to buy tickets for your extra trips. Good news is that you only need one AP to get the APH rate, and can decide to upgrade the others at the end of your trip...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter