BOOKing It Back To Disney - Once, Twice, Thrice in '17 *6/13 Trip #2 Travel Woes*

JessRose

Mouseketeer
To all who have come to my happy place, welcome! As the title of this PTR suggests, you are in for not one, not two, but THREE trip planning extravaganzas over the course of the next year.

After a three year hiatus from Disney trips – adulting sometimes gets in the way of full-time Disney Princessing – I finally bit the metaphorical bullet and crossed a major item off my Disney bucket list on my trip this March. I bought an Annual Pass. I laughed, I cried. I wanted to throw up in my mouth a little bit because the cost of a pass was about as much as an entire trip. If you want to hear more about my most recent trip, you can check out my trip report (in progress) here.

After months of considering ways to incorporate Disney back into my life on a more regular basis, I decided to open an Etsy Shop earlier this year. I make autograph books and theme park inspired candles (hence the name of this PTR). It’s been a great way to reconnect with something I love so much, satisfy my creative urge and – hopefully – fund a small portion of some of these trips.

Now that you know how this PTR came to be, allow me to introduce myself.

I am Jessica.

DSC01523_zps96ad57e5.jpg

I am the one on the right, rocking that Little Mermaid T Shirt. Lover of margaritas, cupcakes and food in general (check out my current dining report here). Fabulous cook and hostess of many Disney movie theme nights (they’ll make appearances throughout this PTR).

I’m a North Carolina native, but lived a majority of my childhood in Wisconsin. In my adult life I’ve lived in San Diego, Charlotte, Phoenix and New York City – but Wisconsin will always be home and I’ve recently found my way back there. In my 9 to 5 life I work for a large insurance company in our sales division. It’s a great company – I’ve been there 8 years – and that job is what bankrolls my desire to see as much of this world (even outside of Disney) as possible. Thanks to my job I also lived in 3 different cities in 5 years (hence why there was no Disney for so long). I’m happy to have some roots put down back home.

I won’t keep you in suspense much longer! If you’re reading along, join in the fun and say hi!

Up Next: Trip #1 Reveal

Last edited:

Episode 1.1 - Trip Number 1 Reveal

Originally, my first trip using my AP wasn't supposed to take place until September, and was officially booked BEFORE I left on my March 2017 Trip. However, just a few weeks before my trip it was revealed that Pandora was finally, officially happening and opening.

I desperately wanted to take a trip for the opening, mainly because I had NEVER been to an inaugural anything at Disney and I thought it would be so special. Given that the opening unfortunately coincides with Memorial Day Weekend...airfare was sky high by the time I was able to look.

So, I resolved myself to the fact we would have to wait to see Pandora until our September trip.

As you'll soon come to know, I can never leave well enough alone, so I kept searching and playing around with dates. While I won't be there for the opening of Pandora, I WILL be there the weekend after. While I'm sure it will still be absolute and complete insanity - Hopefully not the same level of intensity as opening weekend.

So, allow me to present my first trip details:

When: June 2nd (arriving at MCO 11:30 AM) - June 5th (departing at 6:35 PM)
Who: *Spoiler Alert* A Solo Trip (Again). If you're following along on my Trip Report, sorry to ruin the surprise. I LOVED doing Disney solo
What: Quick Service Dining Plan (a first for me!) and Annual Pass ticket

and Where do you ask? Well, I'm thrilled to report that I'll be returning to one of my favorite resorts:

F_P30956_EXT_3B2FCBC0_zpsjkzocrjp.jpg

Photo Credit: Disneyworld.com

Coronado Springs! It's been 5 years since I've stayed there, and I'm SO excited to be back. There was a lot we didn't get to take advantage of on my first trip here - so I'm really looking forward to heading back!

I've booked a King Bed and requested the Casitas location. I don't mind a bit of a walk to anything, but I simply prefer the theming of this area the best.

Up Next: Dining Plans!

Last edited:
Hi there! 3 trips in one year, that sounds wonderful! And your first trip will be here before you know it! Very exciting that you will get to see Pandora so soon after it opens!

Hi there! 3 trips in one year, that sounds wonderful! And your first trip will be here before you know it! Very exciting that you will get to see Pandora so soon after it opens!

I'll actually have 4 in a 12 month period if we count the trip I just got back from on 3/7 (where I purchased my AP). I'm REALLY excited about Pandora. They also just released the menu for one of the restaurants today. SO excited!

Thanks for joining in!

Episode 1.2 Arrival Day Plans
It’s been wayyyyyyyyyyy too long since I’ve last written, but my plans have shuffled around so many times its been ridiculous. I guess that ended up being a good thing.

On previous trips to the world, I have always gone for at least 7 days or more. This year, with the purchase of an AP, I’ve transitioned into very quick, weekend trips which are a completely different experience in both the planning stages as well as once I’m actually in the parks.

Usually, arrival day is very leisurely and relaxed, with plenty of time spent resort exploring or in Disney Springs.

However, with this being a 4 day trip (2 of those being travel days), the theme of this trip is definitely a ‘make every minute count’.

One perk of traveling solo is that I don’t have to worry about anyone else ‘keeping up’ with me and I can just go at my own pace- even if that pace is hyper speed.

My departure flight leaves my home airport at 5:30 AM, with a connection in Atlanta. Assuming everything runs smoothly- I’ll be landing at MCO at 11:30.

I really struggled with the decision of whether or not I should rent a car this trip. It would certainly save time, and even though it results in more walking a lot of the time, I just prefer to spend my time walking towards my rental car, getting in and going instead of waiting in a line for a bus.

However, the lines for the rental car companies at MCO on my last trip were INSANE and renting at the Car Care Center on property is not convenient at all. Due to the fact I have some time sensitive matters this afternoon, I decided to go with…

270E59B4-5784-4BB8-82F9-DF01FA90ACAB_zpssnvktuut.jpg

Magical Express! I actually love taking Magical Express and while I’m certainly more of a Disney expert than I was on my first few trips – there is just something about watching that video that really gets me super excited about being back in everyone’s happiest place.

Magical Express worked out great on my last trip in March and I got my room text while on the drive to the resort. I’m hoping with an 11:30 arrival time, I will hopefully beat the busiest rush.

Assuming everything goes on time and my room is ready, I’ll drop my bags off and head straight for the first destination of the trip.

untitled_zps5sus8cjz.png

I have recently taken up photography and on my last trip was SO excited to see Festival of Fantasy for the first time, but also get some great photos. Unfortunately, I didn’t get there quite early enough and got boxed out by three adults who arrived last minute. It was frustrating, but I’m just thankful to get another chance to get some great shots!

If all goes well, I plan to be arriving at Magic Kingdom and through bag check by 1:30 at the latest.

I know me, and I know I’ll be super hangry at this point, but I want my butt on the curb of the hub no later than 2:00 PM for the 3:00 PM parade. Preferably with a Dole whip in hand, but I won’t be greedy. My main “assignment” for this afternoon is the parade.

Once the parade wraps, if I don’t have enough time to grab lunch ahead of time, I’ll make my way over to either Casey’s Corner or Friar’s Nook. I haven’t been to either beforehand. We’ve usually done the Deluxe Dining Plan, so counter service always seemed like such a waste. However, last time I did the standard dining plan and went to BOG for lunch for the second time.

It was only OK both times, so it’s time to venture out and try something new.

I have a 4:20 FastPass+ for Pirates of the Caribbean.

DSC_0133_zpslyedo2yo.jpg

DSC_0147_zpsfjj5yaz3.jpg

There is just so much nostalgia in this ride and with the release of the latest film, I’m sure I’ll be eager to check it out.

I’ll also need to pick up a Tables in Wonderland card at some point. While I don’t think it will result in a massive savings for this trip, it will come in handy for both our September and December trips.

If I wasn’t able to get into my room upon arrival, I will plan to head back to the resort for a bit. My Day 2 plans are absolutely insane and there won’t be much time for unpacking anything.

I’ll head back to Magic Kingdom about around 6:30-7:00 with the sole intention of watching Happily Ever After from the Hub-ish. My biggest regret from my last trip was that I didn’t have a tripod for my camera. I’ve correct that issue and cannot wait to see the new fireworks!

Wishes was incredible and amazing, but I’m excited to see something new. It’s also been ridiculously hard to avoid videos of it online. I have seen pictures though. Can’t wait to check it out though!

After the fireworks, it will be time to head back to the resort, where I’ll be picking up a special guest!

Seriously – I can never take a solo trip that remains a solo trip haha!

If you followed along on my TR for March, you know my friend Emily crashed the first night of my first solo trip to attend Disney After Hours with me.

This trip, I’m lucky that my friend and coworker, and author of TheLifeInBetween blog is going to join me. She just happens to be in Miami for an extended work assignment, so she’ll be driving up after work on Friday.

This created a small nightmare because she 1- won’t be staying with me the whole time and 2- won’t be using a dining plan, so she couldn’t be formally added to my reservation.

I’ve been assured multiple times that she can be added as a “day guest” when she arrives so she will have Extra Magic Hour privileges with me.

Once we are finally reunited, our plan was to check out the Rix Lounge for a margarita/night cap. In all likelihood though, we’ll both be headed straight to bed! I’ll have been up since about 3 AM and our plans for what we hope to accomplish Saturday are INSANE!

Where do you think we’re headed?

Episode 1.3 - Pandora (Day 2) Plans

The sole reason I was taking this trip was to have the opportunity to check out Pandora. And the sole reason Lisa wanted to join me on the trip was to have the opportunity to check out Pandora.

With yesterday's grand opening - we were not surprised to see wait times that hit 4 hours, with a wait of over 2 hours just to ENTER Pandora by the early afternoon. I was encouraged this morning to see wait times reach 190 minutes at the max for Flight of Passage.

We are, however undeterred and will forge ahead. This just means that pre-planning are even more important.

We plan to pack extra-strength patience and our big girl panties with it and stick it out for the long haul to take in as much of Pandora as is reasonably possible.

Currently, my biggest concern is the 80% forecast of rain - which would potentially mar beautiful photo ops with gloomy, gray skies.

We've had a lot of back and forth conversation about what our best strategy is...so, here's what we've come up with.

Animal Kingdom already has Extra Magic Hours on our day from 7:00 AM to 8:00 AM.

Our plan is to leave the resort absolutely no later than 6:00 AM. Lisa will have a rental car, so we thankfully won't have to wait on a Disney bus and it's a very short drive from Coronado Springs to Animal Kingdom.

Obviously, our first land to check out will be Pandora. We actually plan to ride Na'vi River Journey first, because it is the shorter of the two rides. My hope is that some of the initial rope drop crowd for FOP will have cleared out after we ride Na'vi, and we won't have a terrible wait for the ride at this point.

The plan is to just ride as many times as is reasonable until wait times are excessive.

High on my list to do is have breakfast at Satu'li Canteen. Assuming we can get at least one ride in on both attractions...we'll head there next.

Then, it's time to just explore, take it all in, and of course try and get some incredible pictures.

I've found it incredibly difficult to avoid pictures/reviews of everything, but for the most part, have done a good job of avoiding 'spoilers'.

I have not seen the Avatar film either. I don't plan to watch it before we go. I would like to experience it from the eyes of someone who hasn't seen the film and who truly doesn't know much about the premise of the film. Once we return home, I will watch it - and will then go back on our September or December trips this year and see how the experience is different.

I do have an 11:20 FastPass+ reservation, but Lisa was not able to get one because she had to wait until 30 days out to make her FastPass+ reservations.

I plan to still use my FastPass+ - Lisa will likely spend this time shopping.

After Flight of Passage, I definitely need to do some shopping of my own, and wear out that AP discount. I have been avoiding posts about the shops, I'd like to be surprised with what merchandise is available.

We also want to try Satu'li Canteen for lunch - the menu sounds amazing to me! Our challenge is that mobile ordering currently does not support the dining plan - so we could be in for an incredibly long wait on this one. Hopefully they resolve the issue soon!

We have a 12:30ish FastPass+ for the Safari - my favorite.

Depending on crowd levels, we make take a break and head over to Disney Springs, but what's more likely is that we'll Standby for Expedition Everest or catch the Festival of the Lion King and Nemo.

For dinner, I've been dying to try out Flame Tree Barbecue and burn a snack credit on the fries, covered in pulled pork, barbecue and nacho cheese. They look to die for! Has anyone tried them yet?

I have a FastPass+ for Rivers of Light, but Lisa was unfortunately unable to secure one. We may have to standby this one - although we both keep checking for what's available. This has become my favorite nighttime show. I think it's visually stunning and the soundtrack is awesome. You don't even miss not having fireworks.

After Rivers of Light - it's time to check out Pandora at night. I have managed to avoid ALL pictures of this online - I'm thrilled about that fact. I'm beyond excited!

Depending on how much we enjoy the rides, we also plan to take advantage of the Extra Extra Magic Hours from 11-1, or until last woman standing. It will have been an incredibly full day!

We also did 4 trips in 1 year of annual pass! Our last one with APs is coming up in September. When are you going in September?

We saw Pandora during the AP preview and I watched the movie before. Besides teaching you the names of a few things/what they are I don't think the movie is important to see beforehand.

Just found your PTR...I'm planning a trip for us in about a month, so looking forward to hearing about your Pandora experience. I hope it's not too crowded for you!

Can't wait to hear more of your plans.

We also did 4 trips in 1 year of annual pass! Our last one with APs is coming up in September. When are you going in September?

We saw Pandora during the AP preview and I watched the movie before. Besides teaching you the names of a few things/what they are I don't think the movie is important to see beforehand.

We will be there 9/1 - 9/4. I turn 30 in September, so I had a great excuse for a weekend trip to Food & Wine. We are staying at the Poly for this trip. My boyfriend actually gets to come along on this trip. He hasn't been since he was a child, so I'm really excited.

Just found your PTR...I'm planning a trip for us in about a month, so looking forward to hearing about your Pandora experience. I hope it's not too crowded for you!

Can't wait to hear more of your plans.

Thank you! I've been stalking wait times, and I actually think we will be OK as long as we stick with the plan of getting there early.

Cool! We won't be there till the 8th so we'll just miss you.

Bummer! I work for a company that unfortunately allows next to no PTO starting in September through after Thanksgiving. I jumped at the chance to finally get to attend the Food & Wine Festival with it starting so early this year.

Episode 1.4 - Day 3 Plans

Given that this is such a short trip, Day 3 already brings me to the last full day of the trip! My how time will fly when I’m having fun!

Due to our very late night at Pandora, Lisa and I plan to sleep in just a little, before heading to brunch at...
Narcoossees%20Brunch_zpscow43pzn.png

Narcoossee's!!

Lisa will be joining me for this, but will be departing afterwards to go visit her in laws who live in the area.

I absolutely love brunch – but after having done the Cali Grill brunch on my last visit – I know this one will likely be disappointing in comparison. I’ll do my best to go into it with an open-ish mind!

After brunch, I will monorail it over to my park for the morning – Epcot! I love to eat and snack, and Epcot is certainly a park that lends itself to that. I know I’ll be full from brunch, but my plan here is to wander through the countries and take in the sights, shopping and food of each.

On my last trip, I was committed to watching the films in the different countries.

I sort of kind of kept that promise – I attended the films in both France and America – but may or may not have briefly snoozed in each. Oh my word, how embarrassing! Thankfully, I don’t snore – but clearly I was over tired and/or not all that interested.

Generally, I head towards the left when entering world showcase because margaritas. However, La Cava doesn’t start serving until 12:00, so there really is no point.

Today, I’ll head to the right and check out Canada first.
DSC_0764_zpsg4z80eje.jpg

I don’t have any desire to eat anything here – but I would like to check out the film and check out the shop here. I might try a glass of the ice wine!

Then I’ll head on to Great Britain.
DSC_0782_zpspgjmndel.jpg

I also don’t have any plans to snack on anything here, but do want to check out the tea shop. I’d love to find a cute tea cup/saucer if they sell them here and I bought the most amazing shortbread here on a past trip.

France is next, and I DO have plans to eat here.
DSC_0790_zpszrh6lgrz.jpg

I have NEVER (yes, that is correct, N-E-V-E-R) eaten or sampled from Boulangerie. A wrong I will definitely be correcting, no matter how full I may still be. I have eyes for the lemon tart, and am a big fan of frangipane if they offer it here.

I also wouldn’t mind some shopping here – perhaps to get a nice bottle of wine to take home with me.

I am obviously able to skip the film here, since I slept through it last time.

DSC_0798_zpsot5fjvdl.jpg

Off to Morocco I go next! I honestly have never spent much time here in the way of food or drinks so I’m really open to suggestions. Is there anything interesting you’ve found in the shops here?

Next on the world showcase journey comes Japan.
DSC_0278_zpsjub2hanp.jpg

While I’ve never eaten in Japan, I always manage to do serious damage in Mitsukoshi. My last trip was a little disappointing with the store being largely under construction – I just didn’t find much that I enjoyed. I do have 2 sushi sets from previous trips, but I didn’t see anything I liked on the most recent trip.

DSC_0286_zpstmacsosg.jpg

In America, there is something I’m really looking forward to! I had never paid much attention to this pavilion in the past – because you know – I’m American. While waiting to see the American Adventure on my last trip, I happened to catch the tail end of the Voices of Liberty. I was blown away! I’d love to get the full experience and sit in the rotunda while they sing!

Liberty Inn is also high on my list of quick service restaurants to try – but I’m not sure if it will make sense to do that on this trip or not. I will play it by ear!

DSC_0295_zpsybxy7lj9.jpg

Italy comes up next and I know I definitely want to get a glass of Rosa Regale here. I love this wine! I also have only ever eaten here in the past, so would like to check out the shops to see what they have to offer.

DSC_0309_zpswjji3fzz.jpg

The Germany pavilion holds a special place in my heart. Being that I’m of German heritage on both sides I truly ‘get’ it here. No stop would be complete without the grapefruit beer (although I REALLY enjoyed the lemon beer at Flower & Garden) and a stop in the caramel shop. I also want to explore the Christmas shop, something I’ve missed out on the last few trips…probably because I’ve been too busy drinking grapefruit beer and eating caramel treats.

DSC_0325_zpsndx6qbqt.jpg

Onto China I shall go – and I feel like this pavilion, while being one of the most beautiful, is one of the ones I have seen the least of. I can’t recall ever spending any time here, other than a photo I have wearing a hat circa 8 years ago. I hope I can find some good stuff here! I’d also like to watch the film because I would love to learn more about the culture.

DSC_0334_zpslhaeobuc.jpg

Next up is Norway where I plan to indulge in a little shopping – and ride Frozen if the wait is short. I got to ride this for the first time on my last trip – I have to say…wasn’t all that impressed and was a little irritated I burned a FastPass+ on it.

Then…comes my favorite. Margaritas.
DSC_0091_zpsnwtanzfk.jpg

I mean, Mexico pavilion. Before I will allow myself a margarita, I need to do some shopping here – since I’ve always skipped it. In fairness, I go to Mexico at least once a year – but I’m sure there are some worthwhile things to shop for.

My last stop in Epcot is going to be at La Cava for a roadie.

I’ll make my way back around World Showcase, and then through the International Gateway. My plan is to actually walk to Hollywood Studios from Epcot. Yes – I know there are boats, but after drinking/snacking all morning, it will be good to walk it off. My plan is to be headed towards the exit by 4:00.

Once in Hollywood Studios, I have a FastPass+ for Star Tours at 5:00.
DSC_0253_zps4xne0cse.jpg

I missed this on my last visit due to a last minute change of plans. I also have a 6:00 PM reservation for Tower of Terror.
DSC_0079_zpsocxpgvrt.jpg

For dinner, I plan to check out...
Pizzerizzo_zpswvttv2gh.jpg

Photo Credit: Disneyfoodblog.com
PizzeRizzo. Haven’t seen or heard a lot of reviews about this place since it opened, but figured I would give it a try!

The main reason I’m park hopping is because I want to see the Star Wars fireworks.
StarWars%20Fireworks_zpsmwi0ocku.jpg

I missed them on my last trip and that was a bummer, but I skipped them in favor of one last viewing of Wishes – knowing I’d be back soon with having an AP this year.

I’m glad I made the decision, but excited to see the Star Wars fireworks.

It’s been a few years since I have seen Fantasmic, but quite honestly – unless I were going with someone who hasn’t seen it before – I’d save Fantasmic for Disneyland.

So, there you have it! My plans for Day 3.

What are your favorite things to do in Epcot and Hollywood Studios?

Last edited:
For the few who followed along on the PTR - my Trip report is started. You can read all about it here.

2.1 - Trip #2 Reveal

With my Pandora trip under my belt - it's time to reveal the remaining two trips this year!

First up is another all too short trip in September for an event that I have literally been DYING to get to ever since I have started to go to Disney.

Unfortunately, I work in insurance operations. Our Super Bowl is October 15th - December 7th every year, and we are prohibited from taking any type of vacation from September 15th through December 7th every year.

That's always prevented me from attending this event.

Until now!

That's right folks - we're headed off too...

epcot-food-wine-festival-2016-100_zps74ugsuzf.jpg

Photo credit: wdwinfo.com

The Epcot International Food & Wine Festival!

With a big anniversary on the horizon for the festival, they're extending the dates and kicking the party off 9/1.

Here are the details for our trip:

Who: Me (of course) and my better half Eric. He usually has to sit Disney trips out due to a hectic work schedule and my last minute planning, but due to the dates of this trip - he's in the clear on this one. He hasn't been to Disney since he was a young child and he remembers nothing other than "we were at a hotel that had a train that went through the middle." I'm so excited to introduce him to "my" world.

When: September 1st thru September 4th. That's right folks, not only are we planning to brave Food & Wine on the weekend but we're going opening weekend. Hey - desperate times call for desperate measures. I don't want to risk not being able to go in the future. We're making the trip happen this year, and it just means we need to plan ahead!

Where: Disney's Polynesian Village Resort. My first time ever staying deluxe! Not only deluxe, but MONORAIL!!! It's definitely a Disney bucket list item come true. Due to the short duration of our trip and going exclusively for Food & Wine - it was an indulgence worth making to have such easy access to the monorail and Epcot. So far, we are booked in at rack rate - hopeful an AP discount becomes available.

Dining: NO ADRs for this trip. We're exclusively doing Food & Wine booths. We did take a gamble and booked the Quick Service Dining Plan. Since you are able to redeem three snacks as one quick service meal, I think this is advantageous for us. I did this at the Flower & Garden booths this spring and it worked out great. Between normal snack credits and our quick service credits - it will give us 48 items to try using the dining plan. Cost wise, I think we will either break even - or pay a few dollars more. I just like the fact that we're pre-paid and don't have to worry about a budget as much on this trip.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter