Booked and now worried about going in September!! Help!

nmccrea

Earning My Ears
Hi I was all excited about finally getting to back to Disneyworld. But I read something today about the weather being really awful in September and am now worried about it!! we are booked for Aug.30-Sept.6. Has anyone gone around this time before? What should I expect? and What how should I pack clothing wise? Part of me knows the weather is always a long shot and you can still do the parks when it is not nice, but I really would like to enjoy my vacation as much as possible.

Thanks

Nicole

We have gone during that time frame. We had to deal with a rain shower in the afternoon some, but that's about all. It's still pretty warm, so dress accordingly, but you can have bad weather in Florida any time of the year.

I booked then read the same thing. I figure that even if it's a higher chance of hurricanes during september it still can happen anytime so I'm not going to stress anymore about it. I'm excited about the free dining saving us so much money.

The only difference for us is that I MIGHT actually buy trip insurance this year. . . other than that, I'm not going to worry about it, I can't do anything to change it!

The only difference for us is that I MIGHT actually buy trip insurance this year. . . other than that, I'm not going to worry about it, I can't do anything to change it!

what does the insurance cover?? we are also going in sept (5th-10th) and i did get the insurance...

We've gone in Sept every year for 5 years. Last year was the only 1 we had really bad rain 1 time. Maybe we've been extremely lucky. One thing I definately learned was to take an extra pair of shoes for everyone, because if your shoes get wet, they won't dry because of the Florida humidity!
Even with a downpour, it doesn't seem like it lasts too long.
Sept has such low crowds that the weather doesn't bother us. For us it's definately worth it.

Thanks All, this helps get rid of some of the doubt. I know its DisneyWorld, so fun will be had regardless of the weather!!
Here's to a fabulous time!:cool1:

We go every year at the beginning of September and the weather is beautiful. We wear our usual summer clothes and go swimming. Take a sweater or maybe a pair of jeans in case you have a cooler evening. We've even gone the last week of October for Halloween and have had beautiful weather.

We usually go at the start of "free dining" but this year hubby thought to switch it up a little and go once kids start to go back to school that way lines are shorter. The weather is hot and humid and there is always a chance of down pour.

We were there in late August and early September. We had rain, but it was still very nice.

One suggestion would be to buy rain ponchos to take with you. Two years ago (in August) it rained almost everyday (due to a tropical depression(?)). Anyhow, we probably spent about $50 or so on ponchos. We bought them the first day it rained and then forgot to take them the next day because it wasn't raining. By late morning it was pouring again and we had to buy ponchos again! So, it would be a good idea to get a bunch of the dollar store ponchos to stick in your bag. I think they are pretty compact so they won't take up much room.

Hi I was all excited about finally getting to back to Disneyworld. But I read something today about the weather being really awful in September and am now worried about it!! we are booked for Aug.30-Sept.6. Has anyone gone around this time before? What should I expect? and What how should I pack clothing wise? Part of me knows the weather is always a long shot and you can still do the parks when it is not nice, but I really would like to enjoy my vacation as much as possible.

Thanks

Nicole

We did the exact same week in '08 and it was great. It rained the afternoon we got there and then for two hours on the last day we were there due to Hurricane Hannah out skirting the coast of FL. It was actually better than out trip in May 09, it rained everyday on that trip, some storms were like hurricanes. So you never know. Have ponchos and sunscreen because it may rain or may not but it will still be hot. Crowds were light though so that was great. Very little waiting for attractions. Don't worry just go and have a good time.

We have gone that same week a few years ago...Yeah keep an eye on the weather updates, so you know what to pack. When we were there it was 90+ every day and had to plan in a pool break everyday to beat the heat. (it didn't help that my Mrs. was 7 months prego) But the crowds will be thining out which should help....have fun!!!

...One thing I definately learned was to take an extra pair of shoes for everyone, because if your shoes get wet, they won't dry because of the Florida humidity!

This is why my family always wears Crocs to WDW. They can get wet as often as you like and dry quick and easy and provide great support and comfort for your feet.

Since I live in FL I can tell you: It will be hot. And there will be a rain shower every day. But they don't usually last very long. Getting travel insurance is a good idea since it is hurricane season, but being in the central part of the state, a real hurricane is not that big of a threat.

You will love how low the crowds will be. Waiting in a long line in July or August in the heat, or a short line in September, are two very different things. Go and have fun!:yay:

This is our favorite time to go! It does get hot, but in our experience it hasn't rained any more than the occasional quick downpour.

My fiance and i went last year at the very end of august as well. The day we got there was the only time it even sprinkled. It was between 88 and 103 the entire trip and was more than bearable. I had two $1 ponchos on us most of the time and didnt even open the plastic. Like you said though, weather is unpredictable and went through 2 days of downpour at the same time of year when I was about 7 years old :upsidedow good luck and wish you lots of sun and fun and very few raindrops or sunburns :cool1:

Honestly, I wouldn't worry. We went in July, then 3 times in September (we're planning our 4th September trip this year!) The weather is better in September then July if you ask me. We got more rain in July and the heat was crazy. It is still warm in September. We never got chilled and never packed a sweater, jeans, or jacket. Bad weather could happen any day of the year. Please don't stress. I'm sure you will have a lovely time:goodvibes

We lived in FL for several years and went to Disney quite a bit in September. You can't beat the crowd level. There is virtually no one in the park compared to the summer months. It's still hot, and yes, you will have a downpour everyday, but it usually passes by quickly. It's actually nice because it gives you a nice little "forced" break. Don't worry about hurricane season either. We were there in, I believe it was 2003, when we had three hurricanes practically back to back. We got hit, but it wasn't anything substantial. I believe they closed the parks, but that is SOOOO rare. Don't let that deter you from going and having a great time in September. The crowd level is worth it all!!

We've gone in Sept every year for 5 years. Last year was the only 1 we had really bad rain 1 time. Maybe we've been extremely lucky. One thing I definately learned was to take an extra pair of shoes for everyone, because if your shoes get wet, they won't dry because of the Florida humidity!
Even with a downpour, it doesn't seem like it lasts too long.
Sept has such low crowds that the weather doesn't bother us. For us it's definately worth it.

A trick to dry your shoes out overnight is to stuff them with newspaper. That helps to wick out the moisture. Two pairs of shoes though is a really good idea. Something else that can work, if you can manage the logistics, is to carry a pair of light, cheap, plastic flip flops in your bag when you know it's going to rain. Since the rain is usually short-lived, you can change to flip-flops and then back when it dries up.

Back in May 2009, it rained for 5 days straight. Horrible, torrential, all-day rain. I was at WDW for exactly those 5 days. I had a reasonably sturdy poncho, a small folding umbrella, a Tilley hat, and Gore-Tex lined hikers. I managed to stay mostly dry and the Merrill Gore-Tex hikers kept my feet dry. Only problem was when the cuffs of my socks got wet! ;-)

Just have fun! Find ride with a covered queue and enjoy waiting out the rain!

It can be very hot and humid in September, so be sure to check the forecast before you go (that will help you decide what to pack). Bring (or buy) a mister fan to help keep you cool. And be prepared for a rain shower most days (ponchos work fine).

But don't pack just hot-weather clothes! I went last October for eleven days. At the beginning of my trip, it was record-hot temps (mid-90s with high humidity). So I packed mostly shorts, sleeveless tops, and sandals. But the last few days of my trip, a big cold front came through (record low temps in the low-to-mid-60s, and very windy!). I had very few cold-weather clothes -- what I wouldn't have given for a warm sweatshirt, long socks, and some gloves at night! I was reluctant to buy a WDW sweatshirt at $50+/pop, so I tried to layer and make do. But my calves were freezing because it was so windy (the breeze whistled up the legs of my sweatpant legs -- BRRR!).

So my lesson was: bring a little bit of everything, just in case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter