Book now or wait until onboard?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by GrumpyInOH, Nov 8, 2018 at 2:59 PM.

1. GrumpyInOH

GrumpyInOH Earning My Ears

My wife has a milestone birthday coming up next year. We have only cruised DCL, so I was considering an adults only cruise during April or May on another line to save money over DCL. However, when I started researching, the pictures of the staterooms on NCL and RCCL didn't excite me all that much (smaller/older ships used for the 3-day cruises) and I want this to be a nice birthday gift. So, I noticed that for this timeframe concierge level rooms weren't all that unreasonably priced. And, taking into account various perks of buying Disney gift cards through my local grocery store, DCL concierge would actually be cheaper than other lines' concierge level!

I was hoping to wait until we are on our eastern caribbean cruise in December to book it so that I could get the $100 OBC. However, I think the price just went up a little on one of the other dates in May that I was looking at, so I am thinking I should maybe book it now and then if the price is still the same right before we go on our December cruise, I could cancel and then re-book onboard? Thoughts?

Also, if i pay the deposit with a gift card and cancel right before my cruise, will the deposit get applied back to the gift card immediately so that I can use the same card to re-book on the ship, or does it take a few days?

2. Dug720

Dug720 DIS Veteran

You can always book now and reshop on board to see if the rate is better.

While some have reported the agent transferring the funds, I would be prepared to make a second deposit - then you could either apply the funds once they are refunded or use them for something else Disney-related.

3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor Let Dreams Unlimited Travel plan your perfect Disney vacation!

4. FigmentSpark

FigmentSpark DIS Veteran

Aer the concierge deposits non-refundable?

5. GrumpyInOH

Thanks. I think for peace of mind, I will just book now. That $100 OBC will be of little consolation if the price goes up by $150! :)

6. GrumpyInOH

That's a good question. I will have to look into that.

7. GrumpyInOH

Yes, they are non-refundable. Well, shoot. I knew there had to be a flaw in my plan somewhere.

8. Dug720

Dug720 DIS Veteran

Good catch! I missed the “Concierge” part. Definitely non-refundable.

9. Rob1872

Rob1872 Mouseketeer

If you were not booking concierge, then it would be a no-brainer to book now and then check the prices when you next cruise. (I just reserved yesterday a 7 night for May 2020 that I will check when onboard in May 2019 if it is cheaper to re-book.) However, since you can't get the 10% discount for concierge, then I'd personally say that the risk of prices going up or cabins selling out is greater than the potential benefit of $100 on-board credit. I'd book it now. (Plus, then you can get a placeholder on your December cruise for a different future cruise!!)

Polynesian1971 likes this.