Boma recipes?

colleen costello

<font color=FF99FF>Is in a "just back from OKW and
We visited WDW a few weeks ago and had a wonderful meal at Boma. The waitress brought us a little card where you could request recipes and they will Email them to you. It's been 3 weeks and I haven't heard from them. I can imagine how busy they are so I may be on a list. I wondered if anyone here has gotten the recipes Emailed and can you recall how long it took? Also, if time goes by and it becomes obvious that my card was indeed "lost in the shuffle," where can I Email to make the requests again?

I am just dying to make that coconut tiramisu!

I did that awhile ago. It took a month or so I think. But I did get the recipes!
Kamy

Usually the Boma recipes arrive rather quickly. For now, here's one recipe for the Plantain and Corn Stew. I have the Cocomisu one also and will post ASAP.

Lots of Boma recipes have been posted over on the Scrapbook and Recipe board. Take a look.

PLANTAIN & CORN STEW

Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients:

2 quarts Mushroom Stock
1 pound Sweet Potato, diced chunky
2 each Carrots, diced chunky
1 small Onion, diced chunky
2 cups Corn Kernels
1 small Red Bell Pepper, diced chunky
2 cups Plantains, diced chunky
1 t. Red Crushed Pepper
1 small Jalapeno, sliced
½ cup Sugar
¼ cup Parsley, chopped
1 cup Soy Sauce
¼ cup Ginger, chopped fine/puree
1 t. Ground Turmeric, toasted
1 t. Ground Coriander, toasted
½ cup Flour
½ cup Butter

Method:

Heat mushroom stock, soy sauce, ginger, sugar, and crushed pepper. Melt butter and stir in flour to make a roux. Add and let simmer until stock thickens.

Add red bell pepper, potato, onion, corn, and plantain**. Let cook until vegetables are ¾ done. Add parsley and jalapeno. Adjust seasoning.

**If you are using frozen plantains, add last when you are ready to serve.

Here's the Cocomisu recipe:

COCOMISU (COCONUT TIRAMISU)

Yield: 15 servings

Ingredients:
Syrup
8 oz Sugar
16 oz Water
10 oz Coconut Puree
8 oz Kahlua Liquor

30 pieces Ladyfingers
3 lb Mascarpone Cheese
1 lb Powder Sugar
8 Egg Yolks
7 sheets Gelatin
10 oz Coconut Puree
1 can Coco Lopez
1 qt Heavy Cream
1 cup Toasted Coconut

Method:
1. Make syrup by boiling water and sugar in a saucepot. Once it boils, remove from flame and transfer into another container. Mix with coconut puree and Kahlua.
2. Soak each ladyfinger while syrup is still warm and set aside on a sheet pan.
3. Soak gelatin leaves in cold water until soft. Remove excess water, then place gelatin in coconut puree in a small bowl. Place over a hot bath to dissolve the gelatin. Set aside.
4. In the mixer, whip mascarpone cheese with powder sugar. Add yolks, Coco Lopez and heavy cream. Whip until thick.
5. Temper some of this mixture in the gelatin and put it back with the rest of the filling.
6. Continue to whip until mixture has doubled. Be careful not to over whip and curdle the cheese.
7. Place soaked ladyfingers on the bottom of desired deep dish, about 4 inches deep. Ladle about an inch and a half of the filling.
8. Place another layer of ladyfingers, then ladle another layer of filling.
9. Smooth the top with a spatula, and then sprinkle the top with toasted coconut.

More are on my website:

Disneyrecipes

Search for Boma or Animal Kingdom.

Thanks! What the heck are gelatin leaves? I have never heard of it coming in "sheets." Is this something you have to get at a cake decorating store?

No wonder the coconut tiramisu was so good -- it must have 50,000 calories! :)

PS: Do they really serve uncooked egg yolks in this day of salmonella fear? There is a real risk of making people sick. I believe you can buy powdered, pasturized egg that can be reconsituted. I wonder if this would work in place of the yolks? I don't think I'd eat this again if I knew the eggs were raw... Salmonella is NASTY! If you get it on your WDW vacation the only place you'll see is the inside of the bathroom!

Gelatin sheets are used by professional bakers. Regular granulated gelatin can be used instead. When I get home I will find the conversion of sheets to granuals for you.

As for raw eggs, yes there is a risk. Many recipes now call for heating the yolks to a certain temperature to kill the bacteria that might be present. For recipes that call for whole eggs you can certainly use either the powdered eggs or liquid such as Egg Beaters.

With a recipe like this I'd probably make a cooked custard (on the stovetop) of sorts with the yolks, Coco Lopez, softened gelatin and some of the cream, then cool it, before adding it to the rest of the filling.

Thanks, Margie. I want to please my guests and family, not kill them! I suspected the yolks could be somehow cooked. I also didn't realize that Eggbeaters were pasteurized and therfore safe "raw."

I will look for the gelatin sheets at the cake decorating store in town. If I can't find it, do you have any idea how I would know how much gelatin in packets is the equivalent? Perhaps thenladies at the store will know. I am a bad cook and without proper directions I might jell the whole thing so much that it will be inedible!

Most conversions I am seeing are:

4 sheets gelatin = 1 package of granules

Anyone addressing requests for Boma recipes should send a message to:

Peggy.Gentry@disney.com

Let her know when you dined at Boma and what recipe(s) you would like. She is usually very prompt in answering. She also managed to get me one recipe from Jiko too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter