Boma or 'Ohana's?

g3pak

DIS Veteran
Contrary to a lot of opinions on here, 'Ohana's is one of our family's favorite places at WDW. Because of what I have read on here lately, I am considering trying Boma for our next trip instead of 'Ohana's. Can someone give me some input?

I would love to hear how the two compare- types of food (we love all of the grilled food at 'Ohana's) and other things since Boma sounds like a buffet and 'Ohana's is served.

We have been to both and enjoy Ohana's and didn't like Boma's besides the zebra domes.

Boma is a buffet but there is very little traditional buffet food. Me and my husband thought it was okay my children did not like it all.

We love the atmospher and were there with a huge party in december and had a great meal.

I really enjoy both, so I really don't think that you can go wrong!

If you like sampling different foods, I'd highly suggest Boma. I'm not sure how adventurous your kids' palates are, but they do have some standard kids options there (the mac n cheese is delicious!). Boma really doesn't have any entertainment, so if your children are younger they might find it "boring."

I assumed you were referring to dinner, but the breakfast buffet at Boma is absolutely delicious if you're considering it. They have made to order omelets, a vast assortment of breads and pastries, as well things like tomato stew and a few other unique offerings not found on other buffets.

I've never had a bad meal at Boma and the service has always been great there (although I've never actually been when the place was packed). AKL is also a really beautiful resort if you've never visited.

I enjoyed Boma, dh not as much. The kids liked it, but enjoy Ohanas more. Than being said I think everyone should try this restaurant once, your family may love it.

Considering I am the only adventurous eater in the family, I better stick with 'Ohana's. My two girls are picky and DD4 has serious food allergies. They really like 'Ohana's, but I see them not enjoying Boma much at all. I think I would love the unique dining options there and the zebra dome sounds great, but I think my 3 ladies would be wishing for the grilled shrimp and steak.

Thanks for your opinions. I will be more confident when I book 'Ohana's now.

We love them both but if I had to choose I would definitely pick 'Ohana. A trip to WDW wouldn't be the same without the bread pudding.

And I wouldn't worry about opinions on the DisBoards. They are just opinions. Next to Le Cellier, 'Ohana is the hardest reservation to make which is saying a lot considering it seats more people. When I booked our August ADRs the only way I could get reservations for either was to go more than 180 days out. Luckily I had no problem because I booked 'Ohana for our 2nd last night and Le Cellier for the last.

...Next to Le Cellier, 'Ohana is the hardest reservation to make which is saying a lot considering it seats more people...
It says these two restaurants are very popular. It does not translate to mean they provide great food and service.

...Ohana is one of our family's favorite places at WDW. ... Can someone give me some input?

I would love to hear how the two compare- types of food (we love all of the grilled food at 'Ohana's) and other things since Boma sounds like a buffet and Ohana is served.
We have dined at both. I would recommend staying with Ohana. Boma is fine but really out of the way unless you are staying at the AKL or a resort close by. The buffet is ok...nothing outstanding. While I do not recommend Ohana, I would recommend make an ADR for Ohana...sort of like a family Disney tradition...

I have never eaten at Boma, so I can't give you review on that one, but we did eat at Ohana and absolutely loved it!

I, like you, considered Boma for our next trip this September. After reading the reviews, menu, etc. I decided not to book it. I was afraid that my kids and my husband may not be adventerous enough eaters to enjoy their meal. I think I would enjoy it, but the rest of the family, I think it may be too exotic.

On the other hand, Ohana was wonderful, and I made sure to book it again for our next trip. The dessert, and I'm not a dessert person, oh my, I could have eaten that as my dinner!

I hope you enjoy whichever you pick, have a wonderful vacation!!

We've eaten at both Ohana and Boma. We loved both restaurants. We've been to Boma 2xs and will have our 2nd visit to Ohana on Monday!!!! Boma is a very different mix of food. DH and I enjoyed trying new dishes. DD stuck w/the kid favorites.

My favorite is Ohana. Oh, that shrimp!! Can't wait to have some more. Also, DH is allergic to shell fish and Ohana did a great job keeping it away from him. At Boma, he had to be more careful.

I agree with 'Ohana's cooperation with food allergies. Our DD4 has nasty food allergies (peanuts, dairy, etc) and all WDW restaurants worked with us on our last trip, but 'Ohana's was the best. A chef came out and said that nothing would come to our DD if he didn't prepare it himself. We felt like the president's family instead of the goofy tourists that we are.

Ohana is our favorite restaurant at Disney!!! Even though we own DVC points at AKV, we will probably never eat at Boma again. We did NOT enjoy it! I know I'm in the minority though.

You are going to hear lots of different things! I:lovestrucO'hana and usually Boma (but I do not like zebra domes at all!)

O'hana is festive, and you know the food, and I ALWAYS enjoy myself there, and I'm not a big meat eater!

Boma has 5 pods to get food from.... meat....soups....salads....starches....fruit and dessert. I have had good and not so favorite from each station. The selections are all fresh and creative interpretations of familiar things. I have made some of their recipes at home.

Boma is mellower, and a good server...Steve...can allow for a nice meal. Last year we had a horrible waitrees, and I really did not enoy the meal. Be sure to allow time to explore the resort: savannahs...lobby art, etc. if you go to Boma.

:flower3:

I ate at Bomas once and although I like different foods and slot of spices I didn't care for Bomas at all, good experience once but will not do it again I havent been to ohanas for a long time and going this Dacember I know from reading on here thongs have changedbut I am still going back:)

Ohana is one of our favorites. We tried Boma for dinner on our last trip and didn't particulary care for it - too many "flavors of Africa" type foods for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter