Boardwalk Inn - considering staying there for first time, some questions, hoping for comments!

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Farro, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Farro

Farro It's a pasta! It's a grain! What?

Hi all!

Normally we stay Yacht/Beach (stayed Poly last time and missed Epcot area). We were planning to book Yacht Club again for our next trip, but now considering Boardwalk Inn.

We were looking at pricing and I was surprised that the water view of the lake was (rack rate) at $659 for next May, I thought it would be much more.
    We were thinking of booking a garden view a Yacht Club, but honestly for a few hundred more I'm really being tempted by Boardwalk's water view. May doesn't have any water view rooms at Yacht Club, so I can't price compare. (we aren't going until 2020, so I know price will go up, but gives us a good starting point so we know how much more we need to save)

The pool is a non-issue for us. We think it looks great! Storm-along Bay is a great pool, but we wouldn't miss it if we stayed somewhere else.

How recent was last room refurbishment? (don't want to book it and then find it's going under a refurb)

For those who have stayed and had a lake view - how loud did you find it? We normally aren't ready to fall asleep until midnight, so keep that in mind.

For those who stayed at both Yacht/Beach and Boardwalk - Did you find the food options lacking compared to Yacht/Beach - meaning was it a pain you have to go outside? Or was it no big deal?
    Also, if you stayed at Boardwalk, did you find yourself looking longingly across the lake at Yacht/Beach? :p

And for anyone who's stayed at Boardwalk Inn - is it fun/lively? How's the lounge - a good crowd during the night? What about the Abracadabra bar - decent crowds?

I'm not sure we would stay at Boardwalk Inn if we can't book the lake view - do those book up fast?

thanks in advance!

2. GADisneyDad14

GADisneyDad14 TPAS Moderator Moderator

I stayed at both BWI and YC at various points in the last year. I don’t have a ton of experience at either resort so will leave your questions to the pros, but I can tell you one thing, while at YC I did not look longingly across the lake at BWI. I was perfectly content right there. :-)

Happy planning.

Farro likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Farro

Thanks! I'm so indecisive, I hate it. I was convinced we were going back to Yacht Club and was thrilled, but then staying in a lake view room above the Boardwalk seems pretty awesome! :)

5. AngiTN

AngiTN DIS Veteran

We stay at BWI all the time and never once have I wanted to return to YC or BC. I'm one of those that simply does not see the appeal of SAB.

I've asked the staff if they have any insight about refurbs and they do not. But they won't, they've told me they won't know till it's set, they get no heads up when it's coming.

We can not hear the noise from the Boardwalk inside the room once the door is closed. Open, yes. Closed, no.
    Love being able to sit out on the balcony and watch the Buskers perform and just the general activity outside.
    We rarely partake in Resort QS so that is of no consequence to us. The few times we have we find we really like the Pizza from the pizza window at BWI. And really enjoyed drinks at the pool bar too.

6. Farro

Thank you! I think I'm just nervous about trying somewhere new and not liking it, but then again I'll never know unless we try. It's just an expensive gamble to take. ;)

7. Mome Rath

Mome Rath 3 Decade Disney Traveller

I've stayed BC and BW. I prefer BW. The area at night is really beautiful and for whatever reason I felt BW was busier (in a good way), and had a "lighter" feeling to it. The bakery is top-notch and I didn't mind going out on the boardwalk for shopping and eating. I don't know about room reno's, but you can ask/check the BW thread here on the resort forums to see when the last one was.

Have fun either way!

mickeynut1 and Farro like this.
  8. Farro

Thank you!

9. GADisneyDad14

It’s funny how it’s so subjective. People rave about BWI but it just didn’t give us the same ‘feels’ we get at some other resorts. I want to give it another try since maybe we just had bad trip ju-ju, but I’m not itching to go back right away.

We had largely ignored YC in the past - it never ‘called’ to me from afar and we’re mostly MK resort folks anyway. But we left impressed and already have a return trip planned. The location, layout, and vibe just seemed to fit our style.

Anyway - we had a water view room at YC so maybe that’s influencing my feelings. Not sure what it’s like with other room types.

Farro likes this.
  10. Shaun176

Shaun176 Earning My Ears

We have stayed at YC, BC, and BWI. We prefer BWI. It is much more lively. We love Flying Fish and the Abracadabar. The entertainment on the Boardwalk is also cool. We get the Garden View and request to be on the Village Green, it is where all the action takes place and you can see Both the MK and HS fireworks.

The rooms have been updated and are the same as YC/BC.

Farro likes this.
  11. Farro

Thank you!

12. trishadono

trishadono DIS Veteran

IMG_2952.JPG IMG_2953.JPG

I found the water view at bwi much nicer! You are close and have lovely views! Bc/yc you are kinda far from the water with "stuff" in the way.

For fun , well everything is close enough to walk to!

It's quiet on back side and livelier on the water side.

I haven't done any bars boardwalk side. I quess I'm usually at Epcot or HS with my beverages. Nice you can walk "home" after too!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    mickeynut1, GADisneyDad14 and Farro like this.
  13. Farro

@trishadono oooh!!! thanks for the pictures! That's soo hard to resist....

14. DisneyWishes14

DisneyWishes14 DIS Veteran

We've stayed at all three multiple times and BWI is, hands-down, DS10's favorite WDW resort. I like it too, but I think I wouldn't like it as much if it weren't for that big darn smile on my DS's face :)

We've never had an issue with the food options. I actually enjoy going outside and going to the bakery for quick items. I find the food there to be very good.

I've never looked longingly across the lake at YC/BC. I love YC, but the last time we stayed at BC we had the opposite feeling - we wished we were at BWI!

It is really fun and lively. It's so much fun to hang out on the Boardwalk at night. We love the entertainment and the music they play - it really adds to the theming and atmosphere. AbracadaBAR is fun and really unique.

I've never stayed in a water view room as I'm very susceptible to noise and hope for the quietest room possible wherever we stay, so unfortunately, I can't comment on those rooms.

Have you considered a split YC/BWI stay so you can just try out BWI and not invest your whole trip in it in case you don't like it?

Farro likes this.
  15. Farro

@DisneyWishes14 Thanks for your comments!

We haven't thought about a split stay, but it's an idea! The night atmosphere is really drawing us in too, we do tend to find Yacht/Beach rather dull at night.

Thanks everyone, this is all really helpful. :)

16. AngiTN

AngiTN DIS Veteran

Not any more.
    YC got an update last year and are now different than the others. They have gone the all hard surface route. We stayed in one last October. I like the room, just not a huge fan of the resort.

17. GADisneyDad14

No kidding. YC and BWI standard rooms - despite being pretty much the same size - could not be any more different in look/feel/furniture, in my humble opinion.

DaisyDuck001 likes this.
  18. GADisneyDad14

Since this thread had me looking at my pics, I’ll share some too....

Admittedly, the pics from BWI look a bit more enticing, for sure. I still stand by our preference toward YC. But, I’m just glad all of these resorts exist so we can all have our favorites. :-)

View-Day.jpg

View-Panorama.jpg

View-Sunset.jpg

View-Evening2.jpg

IMG_3369.jpg

IMG_3635.jpg

IMG_3632.jpg

Farro, mickeynut1 and trishadono like this.
  19. moonshadow

moonshadow Mouseketeer

We've stayed at both the BCV and BWV and loved them both. Staying right on the Boardwalk was great. I don't remember having an issues with food. However as time goes by we have been staying on MK side. I do appreciated resorts that have restaurants inside and I am sure one of these days we will be back to the Epcot resorts. I wouldn't let food be an issue. Half the time we are eating at other resorts/parks anyway. We love the Boma breakfast even though we are staying at WL.

There is nothing like walking right into and out of the World Showcase and being back in your room. BW is a great place to stay. Go for it.

Farro and mickeynut1 like this.
  20. Hopefully

Hopefully DIS Veteran

We have stayed at both BWV and BCV and liked both. I totally prefer BC though. I like the Lobby MUCH more, and did mind having to go outside for something to eat. The Belle Vue Lounge at the BW is very sedate and can not compare to the Crews Cup Lounge at the YC.
    I would stay at the BWI again with a discount, but I would be looking longingly across at the BC.

Farro likes this.
  21. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

Had my first BWI stay this past June and I absolutely loved it! We stayed CL and took full advantage of the lounge for snacks/drinks/apps throughout the day so I can't comment on the CS on the boardwalk, but walking through, there seemed to be a pretty good variety between the bakery and the pizza window. We've stayed at the BC and while we had a nice time, I really have no desire to return, especially if the choice is between BC and BWI. If BWI appeals to you, I think it'd be worth a try. Good luck!

I don't either as I didn't see anything about it that lived up to all the hype I read about prior to our stay.

I agree!