Boardwalk check in

fklhou

<font color=red>Liberal and proud of it<br><font c
We have stayed at numerous Disney properties and the Villas at Wilderness lodge. We just got back from an 8 day trip at the BWV and I have to say that I am very disappointed.

First, the check in time for the BWVs is extremely long. It should not take 15 minutes to check a DVC member into the villas when we were not even purchasing tickets to the parks.

Second, I can understand our rooms not being ready when we checked in but I resented having to in effect check in again to find out where our rooms were after we came back from the parks. Even then, we were not given a welcome home package or any park materials,

Third, we put the incidentials on my American Express card which entitled us to some sort of lanyard my DW wanted. We never received this lanyard after repeatedly asking for it.

Foruth, it took the Guest Service CM 15 minutes to figure out how to sell me tickets for DisneyQuest.

I do not remember it being such a slow process checking in when we stayed at the WLVs. Is there a particular problem with the BWVs or is the checkin process reallly a 15 minute process.

when you rooms were not ready - you should have been given a card with a phone to call - you don't have to go to the back to the front desk. it sounds as if you got a trainee not an experiment person - sorry.

We you waiting in line for 15 minutes or it took 15 minutes to check you in once at the desk?

We have never had a problem with the Front Desk staff at BW. The waits can be a little long since it is the front desk for both BWV and BWI.

When we checked in at BWV around 1:30 on a Saturday afternoon last December 1, there was no one in line. Our room wasn't ready, so we got the card with the number to call. We got our packet with everything and bought MVMCP tickets, total time probably 5 to 10 minutes. We went to the Big River Grill and came back up to the lobby about 2:30. I used a house phone on a table in the chairs area to find out if the room was ready, it was. Sorry you had a problem, I don't think it was the norm.

While waiting for service I was bored enough to time how long it took various CMs at the BWV to check in people. It was not less than 15 minutes. This was also how long it took to check me in when we did not buy tickets for the parks at the time. It also too almost 15 minutes to buy DisneyQuest tickets.

I have nevery had to wait that long to check in at a WDW resort and was wondering if there was something wrong with the system or was it the personnel at BWVs on this trip.

We had a similar experience in February. Not only with the front desk staff, but the bell staff as well. When we arrived, we literally had to ask one of the six bellman standing around chatting, to help us with our bags. Then, when we got inside, while it didn't take 15 minutes, the CM checking us in never asked if we needed park tickets, nor did he have any clue what e-night ride was, or how to sell us tickets for it.

Instead of the 8:30AM knock to clean the room, we experienced the 9:45PM knock on both the door to the studio side and the one-bedroom of our 2bdrm.

We're members at BWV since '98 and have never experienced this before, and we were quite surprised. Ironically, they selected us for a survey when we got home regarding our stay. Bet they sure wish they hadn't!!!

We also had a bad experience at check-in last visit to BWV in October, 2001. We arrived for check-in at 4 p.m. figuring this would be excellent time and our room would be ready. We were told it wasn't ready yet. We were exhausted from traveling so we just went to ESPN to eat and kill some time. Went back at 5 p.m., room wasn't ready--they kept telling us that housekeeping was still in it and having some difficulties. The girl we kept checking back with wasn't very apologetic and she didn't really explain much of the situation. I was 7 months pregnant at the time and we also have a 3-yr old daughter who was getting impatient. We waited another half hour in the lobby and the girl never let us know--then we talked to a manager and apparently there was some work being done on the room--painting and such and it got messy so housekeeping was shampooing the carpets. They said they'd put us in another room but it was on the side and didn't have a great view of anything. We had called 11 months in advance and this was our first DVC stay so we wanted the preferred view we requested. We ended up waiting another hour or so for the original room. The carpet was still damp, but it was a great view and was worth waiting for in the end. Sorry for the long story, but I can relate with the difficulties at BWV check-in!

I don't think check-in problems are that uncommon at any of the Disney resorts... Last September we arrived at CSR at 11:00 at night & we waited in line for 1 hour & were given a room that sat across from the laundry facilities & we had reserved a WATERVIEW... the waterview was apparently the water from the washing machine.....

I've had stays at the BW where I've waited 30 minutes to get to the counter & I've had other stays where we just walked up to the counter... Last December the line at the counter was out the door, yet we were at the counter in 15 minutes....

With our experiences, we've learned that 4pm is the very worst time to check in....

You should have been given a card to call back in with to check the status of your room, so you didn't have to wait in line again...

We stayed at BW a few years ago (pre-dvc) and were really disappointed with the bell hops. I arrived after DH, alone, with luggage with Mears and was totally ignored by the bell hops! I schlepped the luggage to the lobby and luckily the DH had already checked in,which took him an hour. We too got a survey and we were really honest, which I'm sure they weren't to happy to hear. Its a shame that this was our first experience with BW, and we haven't been back.

We've probably checked in at bwv at least 10 different times over the last 2 years, and have never encountered any sort of problem at all.:D

Our first trip to BWV will be in May, so I can't offer any experience with check-in, but I'll be sure to pass it on after our trip.

I do have a question though.

Instead of the 8:30AM knock to clean the room, we experienced the 9:45PM knock on both the door to the studio side and the one-bedroom of our 2bdrm.

Who was knocking on your door at 9:45pm, and what did they want? (sorry if this has been discussed before, but if so, I missed it.)

Originally posted by raidermatt
Who was knocking on your door at 9:45pm, and what did they want? (sorry if this has been discussed before, but if so, I missed it.)

A common complaint at the various DVC resorts is that on check-out day you get knocks on the door, or hang-up phone calls. It's been surmised that this is housekeeping checking to see if you have vacated the room so that they can start getting it cleaned for the next guest. Housekeeping management has denied that this is the case, but it seems to me that there have been too many reports of people encountering this for it to be anything but.

We've not had this happen, but on our last trip we did have the housekeeper take up station on the bench just down from our villa while she waited for us to vacate the room (guess it was a slow day and she had nothing else to do).

Third, we put the incidentials on my American Express card which entitled us to some sort of lanyard my DW wanted. We never received this lanyard after repeatedly asking for it.

I got the new Vacation Magic today and I noticed they had a clarification on the American Express White Glove Treatment. The only benefit for DVC Members is the 10% discount at Downtown Disney. "Please note that only the merchandise discount component of this offer is available to members. It does not extend to the hip pack promotion or other components of the offer". So apparently other people were looking for it too.

The only problem is they need to do the same for all members. When I was at the BWV's in February, they gave us an Am Ex. lanyard/pin set for each of the five kids who were with us. Our check in was wonderful and how they treated the children was even more wonderful. But they get into problems for themselves when they treat guests differently, as they did with DebbieB. I do think it comes down to the CM who checks you in.

I only vacation during peak periods, such as Spring Break, Christmas, and the 4th of July, but I have yet to have any difficulty checking in. However, I am not shy, so I just tell them what I want. After all, it is my vacation. Since I have been there so much, I don't hesitate to say "now you're supposed to give me the welcome pack, and the call-back card" or whatever, and the CM's always laugh, and ask if I ever worked behind the desk. It gets me what I want, in a pleasant manner. As for the bell staff, I always march right up and tell them "you will make me a very happy person if you can help me with----". It works. Once when it didn't, I said "I'm sorry you are having a bad day", nicely, and they perked right up. It's just a gentle reminder to get cracking. Just accepting poor service, and steaming about it didn't get you what you wanted, did it, so try speaking up, and you will at least feel that you weren't a doormat. It's your money that pays those salaries. And, by the by, don't ever check in late in the day, because everyone's tired. I always check in in the morning, and my room is usually ready. I checked in at 8 am once, and got my room immediately!!:bounce:

I have always had a positive experience when checking into BWV but at times it has taken 15 or more minutes for the CM to find a room that meets my requests, process my credit card, issue the coded room keys, etc. I personally do not think 15 minutes is an unreasonable amount of time. Several years ago, we got a brand new CM that was in training and had no idea what he was doing, this check in took close to 40 minutes, now that is a long time! But he was so sweet and endearing I could not get mad. Everybody has to crawl before they can walk. He has since transferred to a job at Epcot and we still make a point of stopping to say Hi to him. He is a sweetheart.
I am like the below poster, I know the routine so well, I just ask for my welcome home packet, room call back card, etc. if the CM does not do it first.

WE have stayed at BWV about 5 times now and the check in times varies but it has never been outrageous but I would guess once or twice it was 15 to 25 minutes. I really didn't think anything about it. We usually check in between 7am and 9 am and I think only once our room wasn't ready and this time we got the card with the number to call in a few hours...I go with the attitude that if it's ready great if it's not hey I'm at Disney world how lucky can I be....

For the first time this visit we had housekeeping knock on our door at about 8am...about 8:30 my son went to go get something down the hall and we left the door propted well in about 30 seconds housekeeping was in our room. I immediately called house keeping and stated that the housekeeper was trying to get in our room twice in 30 minutes and that we were not ready to leave and would not being doing so for at least 1 hour. And that I did not except them to knock on the door again. It did not happen.....

The American Express info was posted on the DVC member website prior to January 1st, when it went into effect. It will give you a discount at DD.

Sorry you had such a lousy experience.

As I was reading this thread I tried to remember how long our check ins take.....And for the life of me I cant remember! I am always too busy chatting away with the CM's..... looking around..... chasing my kids!

I hope you dont encounter any more delays while checking in......

I generally grab a room elsewhere for my first night, then check into the BWV between 7-9AM also. My room is generally not ready, however, each time I have had an excellent room view. So, I think it is worth the wait. The only problem I have experienced at the BWV desk was due to a CM who was obviously new. I try and give them a smile to help them along. I'm sure they are just as frustrated as I am during those times. The best CM I ever experienced at BWV was Duncan. To me, Duncan exhibited that classic Disney touch. He was extremely friendly, all smiles and very efficient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter