Boardwalk and International Gateway

Louis morrell

DIS Veteran
We have stayed at Boardwalk once since we became members. It was really nice walking into Epcot through the international Gateway. Considering the possibility of purchasing a small contract for short stays with just the wife and I as we empty-nesters. Just wondering what everyone thinks the future will be like with the changes coming at the international Gateway because of the new resort and Skyliners?

It is changing as we speak. The have moved ticketing to near the bathrooms. Security is right near the boat dock. Turnstiles are moved up to near the store entrance. But it all looks temporary right now.

We love staying at BCV. I am very worried about the impact/increased guest traffic at the International Gateway in the future. I also think it will gum up the walkway between UK and Future World. We'll see.......

We love staying at BCV. I am very worried about the impact/increased guest traffic at the International Gateway in the future. I also think it will gum up the walkway between UK and Future World. We'll see.......

I will definitely add more traffic from the gondolas for People going to Epcot. Not to mention the gondola might be tempting as another way to get to Boarwalk/ BC area for dining and night life which could also create more congestion.

Hi! As mentioned there will be much more foot traffic at the International Gateway, probably need to make more dining reservations for the Hotel restaurants,and ESPN & Big River grill should also see an uptick in business. Also many more people will be watching Illuminations ( or the new show ) back there by France, United Kingdom, & Canada. We enjoy grabbing a beer at Rose & Crowns for the fireworks and it can sure get crowded in there now. Hopefully this will all work out in the long haul!

The addition of 4 more resorts with the ability to access the international gateway will definitely impact traffic in the area. The gondolas will supply a more or less steady stream of guests to the gateway in addition to the boat and foot traffic. I don't think it will be horrible because Disney will anticipate and plan for the extra volume at the IG, but it will certainly be busier than it is now.

I very rarely see the I.G. entrance touchpoints operating at full capacity. And trying to get through security with no bag to check is almost impossible as there are no "no bags to check" line. Add a full boat of guests arriving and that whole security/entrance area can become a long wait. I am looking forward to the new entrance pattern and am anticipating Disney doing a much better job with that area than what they are doing now.

I'm sure Disney has a plan to manage the traffic - or they will when the bridge to France becomes the new Main Street. We own at BW and the IG entrance was a major factor. The gondolas will eliminate that advantage - 3 MASSIVE resorts will be on that line. Pop Century alone is enough to gum up the works.

I may be overreacting and I hope I am. But I'm still annoyed :worried:

So am I. I'm also worried about the bakery in France in the morning. One thing I've loved when staying at BCV is heading over to France for breakfast, when there's hardly anyone there (at least compared to the rest of the day).

I'm also worried about the bakery in France in the morning. One thing I've loved when staying at BCV is heading over to France for breakfast, when there's hardly anyone there (at least compared to the rest of the day).

This looks good! I think you have a good point there. I've heard a lot of people popping over there for a quick bite when staying at epcot

We have points at BWV. The changes at the IG worry me. i love the short line at the IG.
When the Disney Skyliner opens, the short lines will be gone. Change happens, but I still don't expect it to be as bad as the main gate.

I want to see if they do security before getting on the gondola. If everyone has to be security screened at the IG, it will be a mess.[/QUO
They have security check points on the walkway between the Contemporary and the MK so I think that they may screen prior to getting on the gondola for safety reasons.

We have owned at BWV since 2000.....rather than addressing the IG..which we have concerns about....let me say...L Morrell when you say "buy a small contract...short stays."...if you are thinking of securing a studio for your stays...BW can be daunting these days....since you mention being retired which affords you staying at off times ...that will be to your benefit....We book early..usually 11 mth window....since we too are retired.....just be prepared..it is a fabulous place to stay.....We usually don't stay anywhere else and at times have taken as many as 12 family members.....

We have owned at BWV since 2000.....rather than addressing the IG..which we have concerns about....let me say...L Morrell when you say "buy a small contract...short stays."...if you are thinking of securing a studio for your stays...BW can be daunting these days....since you mention being retired which affords you staying at off times ...that will be to your benefit....We book early..usually 11 mth window....since we too are retired.....just be prepared..it is a fabulous place to stay.....We usually don't stay anywhere else and at times have taken as many as 12 family members.....

We also find it difficult for various times of the year to secure a studio at the 11 month mark. Walking is very popular at BWV so a small contract for premium times may be very difficult to secure as studio.

We also find it difficult for various times of the year to secure a studio at the 11 month mark. Walking is very popular at BWV so a small contract for premium times may be very difficult to secure as studio.
Difficult for pool/garden, too, or just standard & Boardwalk views?

Last edited:
IG was a major part of our decision to buy at BW. It’s so convenient and easy to breeze through.

Simba’s Mom raises a good point...easily getting to the French pastries is important! We love going there for breakfast, too. It’s so tranquil to sit outside.

Thanks for the advice. If we do this it will be an add on contract and we will bank and borrow for stays every 2 or 3 years. We love to go in January so that works in our favor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!