BlueZoo??? YES!!!

Peter Pirate 2

<font color=red>I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I
My daughter and I ate at BlueZoo on Wednesday evening. Mmmmmmmm.

Ordered drinks. She had a Sprite, I had a rumrunner. The rumrunner tasted like Vicks 44. Yuck. I told the waiter and ordered a beer. Now we're OK.

Started with the Hearts of Romaine salad (split without asking). This dish seems so simple, yet it so uncommonly good!:thumbsup2

For my entree I had the Miso Glazed Chilean Sea Bass (served over some VERY tasty brown rice). The fish was delectable. It was so flakey the challenge was keeping it on the fork. The glaze has a slight orange/citrus flavor.:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 The only downside was the lump of spinich. Now admittedly I'm no vegetable eater but this was not appealing to the eye, IMO. But still I did try it and it was actually pretty good (it still looked bad and I didn't like the texture, but it was tasty).

My daughter had the Simply Fish (one of their fish of the day entree's). She ordered Covina (I could be off with this name) with warm crabmeat, dijon mustard and chives. This was a very, very tasty fish, not as tender as mine but more texture. Sadly the piece of fish was bad (containing some gristle or tendrils in the heart of the filet. They immediately took it back and gave her the same recipe with the Red Snapper. This too was awesome. So flakey and tasty.:thumbsup2

As a side we ordered the Lobster broccoli stuffed chedder cheese potato and this too was AWESOME. My daughter doesn't usually like lobster or baked potatoes and yet she ate at least half of ours!:thumbsup2

For desert my daughter chose the Warm Molten Chocolate Cake. We had them replace the peanut ice cream scoop with chocolate...No problem! I'm not a desert eater but I can tell you the plate was licked clean!:thumbsup2

LESSON: How a fine dining restaurant reacts to mistakes: My rumrunner was, of course, deleted from our bill. My daughter's first entree was, of course, deleted from the bill. My daughter's second entree was comped with their sincerest apologies (from both the waiter and Maria, the Manager). I tipped 20% on what the full bill would have been plus an additional 5% for excellent service.

BlueZoo is awesome!
pirate:

:yay: I'm so excited to read a good review on BZ!! I was starting to get a little worried about that ADR as lots of folks have been saying the place has been empty lately.

According to the Manager Shula's has been fairly empty too...These places are more dependent upon the winter convention crowd than the theme park crowd, it seems.
pirate:

I can see where that would be the case. We stayed at the Dolphin 2 weeks ago, and Blue Zoo was almost totally empty the entire time. Didn't pay much attention to Shula's, as it's tucked a bit out of the way.
The dominant convention at the Dolphin that week was a mostly high school aged convention for the 'Key Club' (not sure what that is), and I would bet not many of those attendees were going out for an upscale or expensive meal at either of those places.
While the pool area was really full at times, I never saw much of a crowd at the high end eateries, like Blue Zoo. So what the manager said makes sense.

We chose this restaurant as our last night meal. I'm so glad to read a positive review on it! I do have a couple of questions...

How old is your daughter? I have two children, one 12 and the other 14. All other reviews I've read seem to say that it's more of an adult-couples place. Would my kids be comfortable here?

According to the Manager Shula's has been fairly empty too...These places are more dependent upon the winter convention crowd than the theme park crowd, it seems.
pirate:
We're staying in that area mid December. I wasn't aware that this was a heavy convention time. Does this contribute to crowd factor in all the restaurants in the area, or is it confined to D/S resorts?

My daughter just turned 14 and it's her favorite restaurant now. It is upscale but they certainly don't do anything to make kids feel unwelcome and it's a cool atmosphere.
pirate:

Great. I feel a lot better about booking our last special meal there. I love the menu and the pics look great. I don't understand all the negative reviews I found.

Sometimes it's just the way it goes I guess (the reviews). We've eaten there 4 times in the past year and we're 4 for 4. Bon apetit!
pirate:

RE: The Cantonese Lobster. That was my first runner up this trip but I decided to wait for a visit when I REALLY felt like lobster. Our server said the Miso Sea Bass and Cantonese Lobster were, IHO, the two best items - but hoenstly the Simply Fish is soooo good too I think it depends on what you're feeling like at the moment.
pirate:

RE: The Cantonese Lobster. That was my first runner up this trip but I decided to wait for a visit when I REALLY felt like lobster. Our server said the Miso Sea Bass and Cantonese Lobster were, IHO, the two best items - but hoenstly the Simply Fish is soooo good too I think it depends on what you're feeling like at the moment.
pirate:

Thanks!!!

Have you ever had the cantonese lobster there? That sounds so good.:love:

I had it and it was fantastic!

lobster.jpg

Thanks for the review! We're staying at the Dolphin this year and I'm considering checking that one out. :)

Thanks for the review, PP. I am happy to hear something positive from a veteran "Blue Zooer." We may have to give it another try, if I can talk DH into it.

WLL, I think you should give it another try. It has been great for us, although I always make sure to dress appropriately.;)

I want to reiterate how impressive they were in rectifying their mistakes. After reading how Yachtsman's handled the 'bug in the salad' incident I was worried for WDW Resort dining in general, but is seems Bluezoo still understands what service is all about
pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter