Blue Card

lexxus379

Mouseketeer
If I buy let’s say 50 direct points now and Disney lowers minimum to 50 in the future, will I automatically qualify for blue card or will I have to buy 50 more points? I know it’s big hypothetical but just curious.

I don't know the answer, but I also am willing to bet my entire collection of Mickey Ears that you'll never have to worry about it happening. ;)
Interesting to think about how a person used to be able to purchase only 25 points direct for a blue card!
Wish I would have bought then...anybody know which years this jumped to 50 then 75 then 100 then 125?

Interesting to think about how a person used to be able to purchase only 25 points direct for a blue card!
Wish I would have bought then...anybody know which years this jumped to 50 then 75 then 100 then 125?

IIRC, it went to 100 in September 2019 and 125 in October, 2020. I am not sure about the rest.

If I buy let’s say 50 direct points now and Disney lowers minimum to 50 in the future, will I automatically qualify for blue card or will I have to buy 50 more points? I know it’s big hypothetical but just curious.
I cannot imagine a circumstance where DVC would retroactively grant a benefit if the requirements were lowered (except maybe as a court settlement). I also cannot imagine a circumstance where DVC would lower the requirement for direct purchase ownership (short of the apocalypse). Besides, current minimum buy-in is 125 points. [Fixed the minimum. It had gone up since I last looked.]

For many years you didn’t even need to buy 25. All resales were eligible for what is referred to now as a blue card perks. There are folks out there that have 25 points purchased resale that have a blue card.

For many years you didn’t even need to buy 25. All resales were eligible for what is referred to now as a blue card perks. There are folks out there that have 25 points purchased resale that have a blue card.
If only I would have bought then...:mic:

I bought 25 points direct in Jan 2018 to qualify for the blue card. It went to 75 points Feb 25th 2018. I was on a wait list since October 2017 though for 25 direct BLT points, so I got really lucky sneaking that in at the time.

Here's a timeline for anyone curious:

Apr 2016 - have to own direct points, so lets just call it 25 min
Feb 2018 - 75 point min
Sep 2019 - 100 point min
Oct 2020 - 125 points

March 2011 was the restriction on secondary market points being used for Cruises, hotel rooms, ABD, etc.

My understanding was at one time the minimum was 160, and that is why you see so many 160 contracts on resale.

It really quickly accelerated. We bought resale June 2017 and added on 25 direct in August 2017 to get our blue card. They raised the minimum to 75 in Feb 2018 and it keeps going up.

Last edited:
My understanding was at one time the minimum was 160, and that is why you see so many 160 contracts on resale.
We have a 160-point contract for AKV and I'm pretty sure I read that's the reason a lot in that amount are out there. So, it may be true that the minimum could have actually dropped at some point in the past, but I still think it's highly unlikely they'll ever do so again in the future. The only way I see that happening is if they can't sell enough 125 point contracts and they think lowering the minimum would increase volume of sales.

The minimums for becoming a new member via direct were 160, yes. You couldn’t buy less than that if you weren’t already a member. The only other way you could become a member was via resale.

Once you’re a member, you can add on contracts smaller than the minimum for non-members.

So the minimum for blue card and for becoming a new member are not necessarily the same.

If you go all the way back, the original contracts at OKW were 230 points minimum, which is why you see so many 230 point contracts at OKW.

The minimum for blue card wasn't 160 but that was the minimum for buying direct as a new member at one stage. You could have purchasesd a 25 point resale contract and still gotten the blue card.

Thank you for all the answers! I wasnt sure if it happened in the past but maybe I was thinking buy in minimum and not blue card. One can hope 🤣🤣

With the resale restrictions they put in place, did that remove the ability to use at Grand Californian or Disneyland Paris hotel ( later of which is a bad use of points)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!