Blood Donors, share your knowledge and experiences here.

I used to donate a lot, but I only have one good vein that they always used, and it has a lot of scar tissue now so is tough to hit. When I was in the hospital on IV meds it was difficult, especially when one of the medications caused painful burning sensations and they moved the IV every other day. So I have stopped donating. DH donates when he can, but he travels to the Caribbean a lot now that he is retired, and has been restricted from giving.

One story - I gave the week before my wedding, and there was some leaking under the skin so I had a massive bruise for my wedding. Luckily I wore a long sleeved dress in October.

I am O+, my DH is A+, and 2 of our kids came out with A- blood.

When I have my cholesterol done it is always fasting 10-12 hours before, I wonder if it makes a difference in the results?

Double Reds are once every four months, so given the time to heal, hopefully vein scarring won't become a problem for me in the future. It might be a concern if I start giving Platelets, since they let you donate once every two weeks.

Surprisingly, I didn't even get a bruise from the experience. It was that smooth.

I ate a pretty heavy dinner the night before: Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and peas, so that might have inflated my cholesterol a little bit. But I'm still making lifestyle changes just because I'm at an age where I have to start watching my health, because I won't be in my prime for much longer. A lot of people tell me it's all downhill after 30.

OK, where's the 'Not like' button for that comment, young whippersnapper! If you're a male in your late 20's, you're already past your prime.

OK, where's the 'Not like' button for that comment, young whippersnapper! If you're a male in your late 20's, you're already past your prime.

Gee, thanks! You make me feel so young and fresh.

But yeah, I'm 29, I turn 30 on June 29th. I still feel pretty good though.

Any other donors here? Feel free to share your experiences.
:wave2: Platelet donor here. While I could donate every seven days(!) I actually go once or twice a month. Whenever I'm near the Red Cross, which is at least every month. Twice in June. The ARC i prefer has NetFlix, so I'm rewatching West Wing :). Only 76 more donations to go...

I do miss when the donor center was on the corner of my street.
I'm told Platelet donations take a lot longer, up to two hours in some cases, and I apparently have a blood type that's ideal for it.
Two and a half to three hours all told. Red Cross donors can save time by downloading the blood donor app and completing the questionnaire earlier in the day.

:wave2: Platelet donor here. While I could donate every seven days(!) I actually go once or twice a month. Whenever I'm near the Red Cross, which is at least every month. Twice in June. The ARC i prefer has NetFlix, so I'm rewatching West Wing :). Only 76 more donations to go...

I do miss when the donor center was on the corner of my street.

Two and a half to three hours all told. Red Cross donors can save time by downloading the blood donor app and completing the questionnaire earlier in the day.

I'd better bring a book then! I doubt they'll ask me for Platelets though; they said they were in desperate need of red cells more than anything. Red cells apparently make up 85% of transfusions, so that makes sense.

I'm still a little intimidated by a whole blood donation though. My phlebotomist told me that they needle they use for taking whole blood is even bigger than the one used for specific components (double reds, platelets, plasma), a 16 gauge I believe. Scary.

I use to donate every 6 weeks in high school and college. It was never a big deal at all. Unfortunately they changed the rules and anyone who lived in eastern europe in the 80's is banned from donating, so I can't give anymore.

Yup, right there with ya - I used to give regularly many years ago, but lived in the UK for 3 years in the 1980s so now I'm disqualified too. It's the "mad cow" precaution, and I checked the Red Cross web site probably 3-4 months ago to see if the policy might have changed, but it's still in place.

Thanks for the reminder to donate! It is a wonderful thing to do. Unfortunately, I was turned away the half dozen times I've tried to donate due to either my allergy and asthma symptoms or anemia and then I stopped trying, but thanks to your post I just looked to see whether I am allowed to donate now that I am on an asthma controller med and I am! I also am consistently taking iron for the anemia so here's hoping that they will finally take my blood.

I fainted three times the one and only day I have been given blood. Once was immediately afterwards, despite drinking a juice box. Twice was later in the day, even after eating!

I'm another O negative/universal donor, so they never wanted my platelets, just the whole blood (I've never done the Power Red or whatever it's called). I used to give blood consistently up until the last few years. When I lived in Houston in my 20s, I would have a "regular" appointment at the Blood Center as soon as I was eligible. When I returned to the New England area, I wasn't as regular but still gave a lot at blood drives and such. Then a couple years ago, I went to a blood drive at the high school in town, and I don't know what happened, but the nurse did something with the needle and my arm bothered me for a long time. And I'd always been told I have "good veins", lol, so I really don't know what happened? :confused3

Anyway, it has since scared me off...however, reading this thread today has inspired me to try again, and I discovered that there's a blood center a few towns away...

I used to donate frequently, but now, because of certain medications I take, I’m disqualified from blood donation. I was 0 Negative. The universal blood type.

I'm another O negative/universal donor, so they never wanted my platelets, just the whole blood (I've never done the Power Red or whatever it's called). I used to give blood consistently up until the last few years. When I lived in Houston in my 20s, I would have a "regular" appointment at the Blood Center as soon as I was eligible. When I returned to the New England area, I wasn't as regular but still gave a lot at blood drives and such. Then a couple years ago, I went to a blood drive at the high school in town, and I don't know what happened, but the nurse did something with the needle and my arm bothered me for a long time. And I'd always been told I have "good veins", lol, so I really don't know what happened? :confused3

Anyway, it has since scared me off...however, reading this thread today has inspired me to try again, and I discovered that there's a blood center a few towns away...

Great, but driving a few towns over is pretty out of the way. I would try to find a mobile drive that's closer to you. Whatever branch you used to donate for, their website should give you a list of the closest available areas to donate if you punch your address in.

Ask them about giving Double Reds instead of whole blood. I wanted to give whole blood too, but my phlebotomist told me that whole blood, when separated into its core components, doesn't even produce a full unit of red cells, platelets OR plasma. It has to be mixed with other whole blood donations to produce a transfusable unit of anything, and the risk of contamination from mixing the blood of multiple donors is increased dramatically.

Double Reds allows you to give just the red cells, enough to produce two full units for transfusion, and returns the platelets and plasma to you with a bit of saline, so you don't lose the liquid portion of your blood. They needed red cells the most, so that's what I gave, and I felt great afterwords, no dehydration or anything. The needle used is smaller, and you can give more in the same donation, better for you and safer for them. The process just takes a little bit longer.

Last edited:
I'd better bring a book then! I doubt they'll ask me for Platelets though; they said they were in desperate need of red cells more than anything. Red cells apparently make up 85% of transfusions, so that makes sense.
There was a chart in the interview room showing what product each blood type is best for. Since they like you and your blood type for Power Red, absolutely stick with that type of donation. I know platelets are needed for cancer patients, and I (and my sibling who's donated much more than i) are A+. Red Cross wants our platelets :)

Great, but driving a few towns over is pretty out of the way. I would try to find a mobile drive that's closer to you.
Eh. I go into Boston. More than a few towns, but I have a monthly committee meeting nearby.
Whatever branch you used to donate for, their website should give you a list of the closest available areas to donate if you punch your address in.
Also check with your local hospital/medical clinic. I personally would be more comfortable in a building, both physically and psychologically.

There was a chart in the interview room showing what product each blood type is best for. Since they like you and your blood type for Power Red, absolutely stick with that type of donation. I know platelets are needed for cancer patients, and I (and my sibling who's donated much more than i) are A+. Red Cross wants our platelets :)

Eh. I go into Boston. More than a few towns, but I have a monthly committee meeting nearby.

Also check with your local hospital/medical clinic. I personally would be more comfortable in a building, both physically and psychologically.

The mobile drive I went to was at my city library. They were at quite a few places that day. Next time I plan to go to their main building though.

The thing is, they didn't know my blood type at the time, because I didn't know my blood type either, so they just suggested Power Red because they needed red cells the most. Now that they know my type, they may suggest something else on the next visit.

As so many others have stated, for me, donating is no big deal. I seem to be fairly fast too. The preliminary work (questions, etc.) take longer than the actual donation. My wife just gets dizzy thinking about it. Her entire family is needle phobic, so they all get skittish at the mention. I have been donating for over 35 years. I only donate whole blood. I am at 7+ gallons lifetime. I hope to make it to 10. I know I could easily with the double red (counts as two pints I think) or platelets only. I used to donate ever 8 weeks, but had to reduce to 3 times a year. I was donating so often I did get anemic.

Great, but driving a few towns over is pretty out of the way. I would try to find a mobile drive that's closer to you. Whatever branch you used to donate for, their website should give you a list of the closest available areas to donate if you punch your address in.

Ask them about giving Double Reds instead of whole blood. I wanted to give whole blood too, but my phlebotomist told me that whole blood, when separated into its core components, doesn't even produce a full unit of red cells, platelets OR plasma. It has to be mixed with other whole blood donations to produce a transfusable unit of anything, and the risk of contamination from mixing the blood of multiple donors is increased dramatically.

Double Reds allows you to give just the red cells, enough to produce two full units for transfusion, and returns the platelets and plasma to you with a bit of saline, so you don't lose the liquid portion of your blood. They needed red cells the most, so that's what I gave, and I felt great afterwords, no dehydration or anything. The needle used is smaller, and you can give more in the same donation, better for you and safer for them. The process just takes a little bit longer.

So, I liked that suggestion about the Double Red, so I called the Red Cross and it turns out, I'm too short! I now see that on the website, but didn't see it when I was looking yesterday. The Red Cross representative told me that a woman needs to be at least 5'5" but I'm only 5'3"! It's too bad as it seems more efficient and effective, but not much I can do about that...They still don't want my platelets due to the O negative blood, so I'll do WB.

Regarding trying a mobile drive, the town with the blood center is only a few miles away, and after my last experience, I think I prefer to go back to going to a blood donation center, plus it may get me back on a more regular schedule.

Thanks again!

OP, look into the Mediterranean diet!

I've given a lot of blood over the years. It sounds like you got a lot out of the experience. Have you ever thought of volunteering (or working) in a hospital? We could use people like you. And you could donate regularly while there. Win-win!

OP, look into the Mediterranean diet!

I've given a lot of blood over the years. It sounds like you got a lot out of the experience. Have you ever thought of volunteering (or working) in a hospital? We could use people like you. And you could donate regularly while there. Win-win!

That would be great, but I don't think I have any marketable skills that a Hospital could use me for. I'm planning to go get CPR and First Aid training soon, but that's about it.

I'm not allowed to donate. :sick: Too many health problems and too many medications.

So instead, I organize a blood drive at my husband's workplace. We plan one 4 times a year, we get about 20 donors each time. I do this because I know how important blood products are to those in the hospital. Both parents, received some type of blood product before they passed. Both times, it made their life easier. Both times, it gave us, their family more time with them.

It is worth it to me to spend that time on blood donation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter