Blood donations and Atkins

MaryAnnDVC

"Mare", DISing since '99; prefers being tagless
I donated blood about a month ago and had a terrible time...felt REALLY faint and nauseous towards the end. I was (and am) doing Atkins at the time, but in the past (when I wasn't doing Atkins) I never had any problem with donating blood. Do you think it was Atkins-related?

Also...after donating, they give you cookies/crackers/juice. Yikes! I ate it, because I definitely needed something (I felt sick for the rest of the day). But...what WOULD be good to eat afterwards while still sticking to Atkins? Or is "doing Atkins" not a good time to be donating blood?? I'm sure they'll be calling me in a few weeks to go back, and I DO NOT want to go through that ordeal again, but I think it's important to be donating blood these days.

A low carb bar would have probably have helped. I don't know if your faintness was caused by your diet or not.

There are also low carb muffins and such that would probably have helped.

Hope you are feeling better.

The first 2 times I gave blood, these times were 1 yr apart, I had the same experience. I am not doing Atkins, but I can tell you what took away those 'symptoms'. I have to request that they take slightly less blood and lean me all the way back. If the van or room is hot I need them to have a fan blowing on me. By telling them my symptoms and what I need I am able to give blood without nausea or feeling light headed/dizzy. They are surprised that I am still willing to give blood, but as long as they are willing to help me not have the symptoms I will be there.

I hope this helps!

Thanks Kath...great suggestion...I'll have to take a muffin with me next time.

believe, I had to laugh at how surprised they are that you come back...I left there last time thinking "never again!" But I would like to continue doing it. I'll mention to them next time about my prior experience, and I've taken note of your suggestions. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter