Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon

MN Disneyfan

Mouseketeer
In all the times I've been to Disney we have never visited a water park. This fall we have allotted some time to visit just one of them. Which would you suggest is better, Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon? I have two daughters,ages 6 and 10 if that helps.

We've done both, and I give the edge to Blizzard Beach, simply for the chair lift. DD (3 then- now 4) can get pretty lazy and whiny when having to walk a lot, and not having to listen to her whine while going up to the slides is a huge advantage.

Have only ever been to Typhoon Lagoon. We enjoyed it alot and plan to go back this May. We liked all the slides and of course the Crusher Gusher is amazing. Want to try Blizzard Beach this year too since we've never been!

In all the times I've been to Disney we have never visited a water park. This fall we have allotted some time to visit just one of them. Which would you suggest is better, Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon? I have two daughters,ages 6 and 10 if that helps.

if they like slides then blizzard beach, it has far more slides. Typhoon lagoon has a huge wave pool, if they like that then typhoon lagoon is the place to go. I personally like blizzard beach more but my kids aren't waterslide age yet so we go to typhoon lagoon

They both have their strong points and I don't think you could go wrong whichever you choose.
BB has a nice play area for kids right in your childrens' age range. It also has the biggest slides, and a nice bobbing wave pool where you can use innertubes.
TL has a snorkling area (cold and a short swim, but fun if you've never tried it), the water coaster and an amazing wave pool.

For our family, Typhoon Lagoon would win the toss.
Mainly because of the wave pool When we are tired of lines, we could easily spend hours in there.

Now that I've said that, one word of caution (and this may be your deciding factor), I would AVOID this park and this wave pool if your kids are not decent swimmers or you do not want to stay close to the younger one in the wave pool. Those waves are HUGE, and if you try to play in the shallow water (below the hips) it's hard to keep yourself upright and you can get scraped on the roughened bottom of the pool. Not fun.

Hope this helps!

Those waves are HUGE, and if you try to play in the shallow water (below the hips) it's hard to keep yourself upright and you can get scraped on the roughened bottom of the pool. Not fun.

Hope this helps!

Very true! I still have the scar :rotfl:

Been to both waterparks and I think I'd choose Blizzard Beach over Typhoon Lagoon. As a previous poster said there is more slides in this park, also the family raft ride is fun.

Either park has it's pros and cons, so I'm sure you'll have fun at either park. :goodvibes

TL has the best ride (Crushin gusher). BB has the most good rides though.

Been to both, would choose TL over BB. Our family loved the snorkling that was available there.

Like two OP said, if you've never been to either, you'll have a blast at either--pros and cons to each. I liked BB because there were more tube/mat slides--I don't like body slides (ow!). And you have to lug your tubes up to more of the TL slides, where most at BB had little elevators for them. I personally hate the TL wave pool, but DD11 loves it. DS9 lost his trunks with the first wave LOL, do he's not a fan either. LOVE the BB theming, but I didn't like standing in line for the lift (nor do I when actual skiing heehee)--ended up walking up most times. Like the TL lazy river better EXCEPT for those &@%+*¬ water squirters....if I wanted water thrown in my face is be in the wave pool grr (don't like my glasses to be wet). Whichever you choose, please use water shoes--that concrete can get really hot and I have tough feet (not to mention the previously mentioned crushed glass--ok not really--bottom in TL wave pool). We're now split 3-1 in favor of BB, but promised DD we'll do TL in May. If you can't decide, flip a coin. Seriously, I never liked waterparks at all, but I adore both of these. Have fun!!!

The water parks are one of my absolute favorite things at Disney! They are definitely both worth seeing, so whichever you do this trip, consider doing the other next time. For the first time, I think that Typhoon Lagoon is a better choice. It's a little more mellow and laid back. The slides aren't as intimidating. The water coaster (Crush n Gusher) is awesome and perfect to ride with the kids or for them to ride together alone. Snorkeling is awesome, even if a bit cold! :) I think the biggest thing for me choosing TL over BB for a first timer is the theming though. BB does a good job, but TL looks absolutely amazing! Maybe I like the tropical theme better. IDK. But TL is definitely my favorite of the two. The only thing that BB offers that edges out TL in my opinion is Summit Plummet. The slide isn't nearly as extreme as it looks. Your back will never leave the slide and it's over before you know it. But it is definitely fun. And during the wait, you get some of the best views of the Disney property that there are. From the top of the tower, you can literally see everything. Spaceship Earth, the Tree of Life, even Cinderella Castle if the day is clear enough. The last 15 or so minutes of the wait to ride Summit Plummet is one of my favorite things on the whole property.

Didn't see this brought up but when in the fall? Late fall to early spring only one is open at a time.

BB is the one open until around after Xmas and then TL is then open.

They used to rotate which closed when but they realized that BB is already decorated for the holidays so its always the one open during the holiday season.

Nice thing about those big waves at TL is there is no line to wait in. What's afew scrapes (if you get any, I never have) just go a little deeper. If you're going in crowded time of year this is a deal breaker IMO. Don't want to wait to get in the water !:thumbsup2

Do the water parks have towel service, or do you need to bring your own beach towels? Trying to minimize my packing, if at all possible!:)

When the question of BB or TL is asked, most people focus on the rides/attractions at each park. Something else to consider is the themeing. I love the lush and tropical theme of TL. It is absolutely beautiful, and more importantly, it provides much needed shade for my blindingly white Irish skin. I see snow all winter, so the last thing I want to see on vacation is more snow - even the fake kind.

Do the water parks have towel service, or do you need to bring your own beach towels? Trying to minimize my packing, if at all possible!:)

You can rent a towel for I think its now $2. Or just take some from your resort. They are not beach towels just the regular ones.

We like TL over BB. The wave pool is great and Crush N Gusher is really fun. We also like the tropical feel of TL. BB has it's fun aspects, but between the two, we really enjoyed TL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter