Blizzard Beach for adults?

TavieP

DIS Veteran
Hallo! BFF and I are going on our annual trip in June. Sometimes we take her little niece and her mom in the scooter, but this year it's just the two of us - yay, adult girls trip! I can't wait! We're staying a full week this time - we've been going together since we were 14 (my parents used to take her along on our family vacations) and now we're 39 (we'll I'm 38, ahem) and I think this is the first week-long trip we've managed to do in all 25 years! We're dazzled by the amount of time!

So, about the water parks: we both have APs that come with water park admission, and she took her little niece to Blizzard Beach last year on a side trip, and they had a blast - she loved it, and wants me to go with her this upcoming trip. I'm certainly not against the idea of going to a water park - I enjoyed Typhoon Lagoon as a kid, even though I'm not a slide person and stuck to the wave pool and lazy river. (Hey, the tickets are already paid for so it's not like I'm blowing a ton of extra dough on a day in a lazy river!) I've never actually been to Blizzard Beach - it's one of those corners of WDW that, after 40 trips, I know NOTHING about. So I'm excited to experience it for the first time.

Do you think it'll be fun, for two childless adults who don't do waterslides? Would Typhoon Lagoon be better? Does BB have a decent lazy river and frozen adult beverages? Should we arrive early to stake out good chairs? Any tips or advice to a BB newbie?

Hallo! BFF and I are going on our annual trip in June. Sometimes we take her little niece and her mom in the scooter, but this year it's just the two of us - yay, adult girls trip! I can't wait! We're staying a full week this time - we've been going together since we were 14 (my parents used to take her along on our family vacations) and now we're 39 (we'll I'm 38, ahem) and I think this is the first week-long trip we've managed to do in all 25 years! We're dazzled by the amount of time!

So, about the water parks: we both have APs that come with water park admission, and she took her little niece to Blizzard Beach last year on a side trip, and they had a blast - she loved it, and wants me to go with her this upcoming trip. I'm certainly not against the idea of going to a water park - I enjoyed Typhoon Lagoon as a kid, even though I'm not a slide person and stuck to the wave pool and lazy river. (Hey, the tickets are already paid for so it's not like I'm blowing a ton of extra dough on a day in a lazy river!) I've never actually been to Blizzard Beach - it's one of those corners of WDW that, after 40 trips, I know NOTHING about. So I'm excited to experience it for the first time.

Do you think it'll be fun, for two childless adults who don't do waterslides? Would Typhoon Lagoon be better? Does BB have a decent lazy river and frozen adult beverages? Should we arrive early to stake out good chairs? Any tips or advice to a BB newbie?
If you don't do waterslides, I recommend Typhoon Lagoon. Better lazy river imo & a more relaxed, beachy vibe. Better wave pool.

I agree that TL has the better lazy river. There's nothing wrong with the one at BB--it's quite long and has some fun, interesting features--but there's just something about the tropical feel at TL that I prefer.

I'm torn about the wave pools. I actually prefer BB's because it's more a laid back, bobbing pool. The intensity of TL's is a bit much for me at times. Also, our daughter tore up her knee pretty bad in that wave pool, because of its rough, textured floor.

I assume the two water parks are comparable in their frozen drink offerings. For both of them, you'll want to arrive at opening (10:00 a.m.) to grab a chair in the shade, especially during the summer months.

I wouldn't imagine you'd want to spend a ton of time there, if you're not doing the slides. But it's always fun to visit a new place--especially for free!

I do like the family tubing ride better at BB, but that's about it. Everyone has different tastes, we are 2 people in our 50's, traveling with our late 20's kids and their spouses, no kiddos. We all favor TL. I will say with the new bus system if you are staying on site and don't have a car it's a real headache to get back.

For either water park you may want to consider a cabana. I hate having to scout for chairs and then "protect" my stuff throughout the day. The cabana rentals give you your own private space, waiter service for food and cocktails. Plus you don't have to worry about what time you get there and not getting a chair. They run about 225 for the day.

For either water park you may want to consider a cabana. I hate having to scout for chairs and then "protect" my stuff throughout the day. The cabana rentals give you your own private space, waiter service for food and cocktails. Plus you don't have to worry about what time you get there and not getting a chair. They run about 225 for the day.
When did they start offering cabanas?! What amenities do they include? Towels, refrigerator, lockers etc?

They have had them for a while. I prefer Blizzard Beach’s over Typhoon Lagoon’s because I’m not a huge fan of sand and the ones at TL are sand bottom.

Towels, a locker in the cabana, but I can’t recall if they have a fridge. They do come with refillable mugs for everyone in the cabana. Our attendant even gave us a cell number to text them whenever we need them.

For me I think it would depend on transportation - if you have a car then I would do it once or twice instead of a pool break since it is included in your tickets. Unfortunately Disney no longer offers direct transportation from the resorts to the water parks and it involves transferring via Disney Springs (always less than ideal for us) and IIRC Animal Kingdom for BB.

So if you have a car - I would give it a try one afternoon :)

Since its just two of you I would just grab a locker for your valuables (if you bring any) and explore, if you want a guaranteed spot to sit then they also rent patio tables for about 60 a day in addition to the full on cabanas (which I wouldn't bother with for a party of 2). You will probably have no issues finding seating for two although it may not be in an ideal place or in the shade.

Both water parks have a nice bar with frozen drinks, good lazy rivers and wave pools, I like the wave pool at BB better as the one at TL can be too rough for me. Even though you say you don't like slides (I don't love them either) the family raft rides at both parks are fun.

Have fun deciding :)

The newest family raft ride at TL (the name escapes my feeble brain at th moment) is a blast. Much better than the too short, too rough first one.

If you're not interested in slides, it mainly comes down to wave pool, lazy river, and general "theme".

BB has a quieter, gentler wave pool. TL's wave pool is much m ore "wavy" and rougher.

I like the lazy river much better at TL. I can easily spend a couple of hours there!

As far as atmosphere, I like TL much better. It's much more tropical feeling, as opposed to all of the blinding white at BB.

So all in all, I much prefer TL over BB.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!