Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon with Young Children

Rachel GB

DIS Veteran
We are planning a September trip :lovestruc and are considering doing park hopper plus tickets for the first time for the purpose of also getting into the water parks. We’ve also never done the water parks!
Is it worth it to go to the water parks with one child under 48” and one child over 48”? I have a 51” tall child (who will of course be taller in September), so I’m thinking we will have to split up (one parent with one child in kiddie area, one with the other in other areas) instead of all spend time together. Does anyone have experience or insight here? Thanks so much in advance!!! :thanks:

absolutely.
I highly recommend Blizzard Beach as I think their kids area is a lot better than Typhoon Lagoon and I also like their lazy river better and the theme there as well.
our DD was only 19 months and loved it so much. We also went on the family raft ride together and it was a blast, I thought she would be terrified but she loved it.
Pick a location that is central to all areas and you'll be fine.
FYI - we always travel in September, it is HOT so you'll want to cool off at the water parks for a day. Go on a weekday if possible instead of a weekend.

absolutely.
I highly recommend Blizzard Beach as I think their kids area is a lot better than Typhoon Lagoon and I also like their lazy river better and the theme there as well.
our DD was only 19 months and loved it so much. We also went on the family raft ride together and it was a blast, I thought she would be terrified but she loved it.
Pick a location that is central to all areas and you'll be fine.
FYI - we always travel in September, it is HOT so you'll want to cool off at the water parks for a day. Go on a weekday if possible instead of a weekend.

Thanks for your reply! Glad to hear it worked so well for your family!
I think I’m most concerned that we’ll have to split up since one child is too tall for the kiddie area and the other is too short for the big slides etc. But great to hear it works for little little ones!
And I’m so glad to hear you’re a September traveler! This will be our first time going in September, and I’m super nervous about the heat/ humidity and hurricane season. Any other September insight or tips? Thanks so much in advance! :)

We went to both water parks with my son who was 35" and daughter who was exactly 48". DD played with her brother some in the kiddie area and no one ever said anything about her height or measured her (in the kiddie areas). We spent a good bit of time all together in the wave pool, lazy river, and on the family slides at each park. We did split up for short periods to take DD on the bigger slides while the other adult stayed with the little one. We would usually do 1-3 slides that were close together, then meet up as a family for a bit, then split up again, so it was usually only about 30 mins apart each time. Whoever stayed with the little one would often use that time for bathroom breaks, snacks, etc too.

Both water parks were a blast and they both had so much to do for all ages.

TBH the kiddie area is so well themed and has some slides that are quite intense for the little ones that even bigger kids get a kick out of it, so you may find that your older child will spend some time there too.
As for September, take lots of breaks. We find just walking into the shops in the air con is great.
We've been going in September for 15 plus years and love it, I will say I've experienced two hurricaines during those trips, first one we lost 1 day (Frances 2004) and the second we lost 2 days (Irma 2017) and TBH it didn't affect our trip much at all. Disney do such a great job during the storms, you hardly even know you've experienced it.
Just enjoy the quieter crowds - it's progressivly getting much busier during September every year we go but still quieter than other times of the year that's for sure.

We are planning a September trip :lovestruc and are considering doing park hopper plus tickets for the first time for the purpose of also getting into the water parks. We’ve also never done the water parks!
Is it worth it to go to the water parks with one child under 48” and one child over 48”? I have a 51” tall child (who will of course be taller in September), so I’m thinking we will have to split up (one parent with one child in kiddie area, one with the other in other areas) instead of all spend time together. Does anyone have experience or insight here? Thanks so much in advance!!! :thanks:

Yes, absolutely do a water park. We've been to each one at least 25-30+ times, we LOVE them. They both have kiddie areas, but also have plenty of slides that you can all do as a family (though not sure how much under 48" your younger one is). Blizzard Beach has Ski Patrol, which is meant for kids ages roughly 3-11, as well as Tykes Peak which is for toddlers/infants. Typhoon Lagoon has a few nice kiddie areas as well. They both have fun family tube rides you can probably all do (again, assuming your youngest isn't an infant). They both have fun lazy rivers. They both have fun wave pools you can do together (some people feel that the one at TL is more "dangerous", but that's not true whatsoever).

You'll have a great time!!

We went to both water parks with my son who was 35" and daughter who was exactly 48". DD played with her brother some in the kiddie area and no one ever said anything about her height or measured her (in the kiddie areas). We spent a good bit of time all together in the wave pool, lazy river, and on the family slides at each park. We did split up for short periods to take DD on the bigger slides while the other adult stayed with the little one. We would usually do 1-3 slides that were close together, then meet up as a family for a bit, then split up again, so it was usually only about 30 mins apart each time. Whoever stayed with the little one would often use that time for bathroom breaks, snacks, etc too.

Both water parks were a blast and they both had so much to do for all ages.

@LongLiveRafiki , thanks for your reply! :) It's great to hear your family had such a great time! I'm really interested in that fact that no one measured your daughter- I do think my taller child WOULD play in the kiddie area, I just didn't know if the lifeguards would measure her and/or allow her to do so! We would have to split up to do the big slides, but it sounds like that worked really well for your family! :thanks:

TBH the kiddie area is so well themed and has some slides that are quite intense for the little ones that even bigger kids get a kick out of it, so you may find that your older child will spend some time there too.
As for September, take lots of breaks. We find just walking into the shops in the air con is great.
We've been going in September for 15 plus years and love it, I will say I've experienced two hurricaines during those trips, first one we lost 1 day (Frances 2004) and the second we lost 2 days (Irma 2017) and TBH it didn't affect our trip much at all. Disney do such a great job during the storms, you hardly even know you've experienced it.
Just enjoy the quieter crowds - it's progressivly getting much busier during September every year we go but still quieter than other times of the year that's for sure.

@wendlle , thanks for getting back to me! If my older child is permitted to stay in the kiddie area (didn't know if the lifeguards would measure her and not allow her to play there as she's too tall), that would be fantastic!
It's also great to hear about your many years of September trips. I keep reading that there's no 'dead' time at Disney anymore, and that seems confirmed as you find September busier and busier! Hopefully this September has quieter crowds for us both! :sunny: :thanks:

Yes, absolutely do a water park. We've been to each one at least 25-30+ times, we LOVE them. They both have kiddie areas, but also have plenty of slides that you can all do as a family (though not sure how much under 48" your younger one is). Blizzard Beach has Ski Patrol, which is meant for kids ages roughly 3-11, as well as Tykes Peak which is for toddlers/infants. Typhoon Lagoon has a few nice kiddie areas as well. They both have fun family tube rides you can probably all do (again, assuming your youngest isn't an infant). They both have fun lazy rivers. They both have fun wave pools you can do together (some people feel that the one at TL is more "dangerous", but that's not true whatsoever).

You'll have a great time!!

@Klayfish , thank you for your feedback! :) My children are about 41" and 51", and of course will be a bit taller by September. My biggest concern is that the lifeguards will measure my taller child and not allow her to play in the kiddie areas, so that we'd have to split up the family most of the time. It sounds like your family had a great time at both water parks! Thanks again for the tips! :thanks:

The only thing I remember kids being measured for in the kiddie area at Blizzard Beach was the zipline. The ski lift was not working so all the big kids (taller than me at my short 5'2") piled into the line. Unfortunately, they also forgot their line manners and went ahead of some patiently waiting little kids. A CM put a stop to it and had them get out of line.

Both parks are fun with lots of things for all ages and thrill levels. I have a DD taller than me who prefers the lazy river and just laying around. 2 adventure monkeys who are tall enough for almost everything, and one guy who didn't make the cut for a couple of rides, but loved the "Pool of Waves" and everything he could go on.

My biggest concern is that the lifeguards will measure my taller child and not allow her to play in the kiddie areas, so that we'd have to split up the family most of the time. It sounds like your family had a great time at both water parks! Thanks again for the tips! :thanks:

They won't, unless it's grossly obvious that she is WAAAAY too tall. Last summer my oldest son was 14 and about 5'6" at the time. He went into Ski Patrol with my 11 year old twins. It was the first time any CM said anything to him about being too tall...they still let him do the zip line, but just said he really was too tall. If your daughter is only 4'3", she will have zero issues whatsoever. Like I said, except for the true baby/toddler areas, the "kid" area are for kids ages 3-11, which is quite a wide range of heights.

They won't, unless it's grossly obvious that she is WAAAAY too tall. Last summer my oldest son was 14 and about 5'6" at the time. He went into Ski Patrol with my 11 year old twins. It was the first time any CM said anything to him about being too tall...they still let him do the zip line, but just said he really was too tall. If your daughter is only 4'3", she will have zero issues whatsoever. Like I said, except for the true baby/toddler areas, the "kid" area are for kids ages 3-11, which is quite a wide range of heights.

Woohoo, this is great news! Thank you so much! :cool1:

As long as your child isn't pushing other little kids out of the way or anything, they aren't going to care if she's over 58" and playing in the kiddie area. For the actual kiddie areas, I don't recall even seeing a lifeguard with a height stick to measure. At Blizzard Beach in the Ski Patrol Area, the lifeguard did have a measuring stick for the T-bar/Zipline, but the max height for that is 60", so you're daughter will be fine.

At Typhoon Lagoon, lifeguards also had a measuring stick at the bay slides (small slides that go into the shallow end of the wave pool), but again, the height limit there is 60", so your daughter will be fine there too.

As long as your child isn't pushing other little kids out of the way or anything, they aren't going to care if she's over 58" and playing in the kiddie area. For the actual kiddie areas, I don't recall even seeing a lifeguard with a height stick to measure. At Blizzard Beach in the Ski Patrol Area, the lifeguard did have a measuring stick for the T-bar/Zipline, but the max height for that is 60", so you're daughter will be fine.

At Typhoon Lagoon, lifeguards also had a measuring stick at the bay slides (small slides that go into the shallow end of the wave pool), but again, the height limit there is 60", so your daughter will be fine there too.

Thanks again! All great tips! Our kids are pretty tame and we stay right with them and are sticklers for manners/ behavior, so I can’t imagine we would have any issues. Very excited! I think we’re going to do two water park days and try them both!

My kids (ages almost 5 and just turned 2) LOVE the water parks!! The Disney water parks are unique in that the under 48 (heck, the under 42 inch) set can do almost everything. If you go to other water parks in the real world, it is NOT the case. If your kid can't swim yet, just slap a Disney life vest on, or bring your own puddle jumper, and you're good to go. My son started going on the Disney resort water slides when he had just turned 2.

We've done both TL and BB in the past year. BB has much better little kid and big kid areas, but TL is overall a better park, I think. I like the theme, the ambiance, etc. My 4 year old son talks about BB nonstop - and he's only been once - last March. We tried TL in November and he had a blast, but when asked which one he wants to go back to this March, he says BB every time. My daughter was only 15 months on her trip to BB, and my mom found plenty to keep her busy all day. She also enjoyed TL at 22 months. We don't do these on our WDW trips, we do them as day trips when we're visiting family on the gulf coast of FL. We usually get there at opening and stay until our kids crash (usually around 2 or 3). Then we put them in the car and they sleep all the way home :-)

My son was 42 inches the last time we visited TL in November and the only things he couldn't do were Humunga Kowabunga (sp?) and Crush n Gusher (the water coaster). At Blizzard Beach he couldn't do Summit Plummet, the one that looks like Summit Plummet but is slightly more tame, and the Downhill Double Dipper. There was so much he could do, that it didn't matter there were only 3 he couldn't do.

My kids (ages almost 5 and just turned 2) LOVE the water parks!! The Disney water parks are unique in that the under 48 (heck, the under 42 inch) set can do almost everything. If you go to other water parks in the real world, it is NOT the case. If your kid can't swim yet, just slap a Disney life vest on, or bring your own puddle jumper, and you're good to go. My son started going on the Disney resort water slides when he had just turned 2.

We've done both TL and BB in the past year. BB has much better little kid and big kid areas, but TL is overall a better park, I think. I like the theme, the ambiance, etc. My 4 year old son talks about BB nonstop - and he's only been once - last March. We tried TL in November and he had a blast, but when asked which one he wants to go back to this March, he says BB every time. My daughter was only 15 months on her trip to BB, and my mom found plenty to keep her busy all day. She also enjoyed TL at 22 months. We don't do these on our WDW trips, we do them as day trips when we're visiting family on the gulf coast of FL. We usually get there at opening and stay until our kids crash (usually around 2 or 3). Then we put them in the car and they sleep all the way home :-)

My son was 42 inches the last time we visited TL in November and the only things he couldn't do were Humunga Kowabunga (sp?) and Crush n Gusher (the water coaster). At Blizzard Beach he couldn't do Summit Plummet, the one that looks like Summit Plummet but is slightly more tame, and the Downhill Double Dipper. There was so much he could do, that it didn't matter there were only 3 he couldn't do.

@DizneyLizzy , thank you for your detailed reply! It sounds like the water parks are a great fit for your family! :) I also appreciate your comparison of BB and TL.

The only thing I remember kids being measured for in the kiddie area at Blizzard Beach was the zipline. The ski lift was not working so all the big kids (taller than me at my short 5'2") piled into the line. Unfortunately, they also forgot their line manners and went ahead of some patiently waiting little kids. A CM put a stop to it and had them get out of line.

Both parks are fun with lots of things for all ages and thrill levels. I have a DD taller than me who prefers the lazy river and just laying around. 2 adventure monkeys who are tall enough for almost everything, and one guy who didn't make the cut for a couple of rides, but loved the "Pool of Waves" and everything he could go on.

@CaLuCa , thanks for your input, especially regarding heights and measurement! It’s also great to hear that the parks were a match for different interests and age levels. Can’t wait to give them a try! :beach:

My kids LOVED the little area at Blizzard Beach. Spent a good three hours there.

Great to know, thanks! :goodvibes

Just watch the wave pools DS and I ended up with matching knee scrapes . the bottom is non forgiving

YIKES, @TammyLynn33 , thanks for the tip! :eek:

Yes, both wave pools have rough concrete bottoms. It's a bigger "issue" at TL if you go into the deep part of the water.

We went to both Waterparks this past Summer with our then 12, 8, and 2 year olds. We split up and depending what we were doing, one either took both older kids to tube rides or something similar, and the other took the little one. Or one took the 2 and 8 year old. My 8 year old played with her little sister for quite a while in the toddler area at Blizzard Beach and no one said anything about her being too big. She is pretty calm and patient with toddlers, though. I imagine the circumstance would be different if the older child was running or being too rough around the little ones. We spent a lot of time on the lazy rivers and in both wave pools. My older two kids both liked Typhoon Lagoon better, but they were both a lot of fun.

We have been to both water parks and both are fun. Everyone in my group likes blizzard better, but typhoon does have the superior wave pool. But I prefer blizzard on most other fronts.

You are right to be a bit concerned about the September heat! We did a two-week trip once at the time of year and won't be repeating the experience. It did not help that we got long periods of hard rain every day but first and last. It was the rainiest September in many years and we were there to share it. LOL

Don't get me wrong, we had lots of fun, but you do have to line up your heat-beating strategies. We brought cooling towels, drank our weight in free ice water - hourly it seemed - and never ate outdoors, aside from water park picnics. Couldn't pass up any chance to be inside with a/c. Our pace was slower, and we were not alone.

Wear footwear that won't chafe and become slippery when your feet are wet. They will get wet, from sweat, rain, splash pads or fountains! Even if it wasn't raining, we always were damp. We learned early in the trip was that we had to pack more. When you are hot and damp, it is super-easy to become chilled when you spend more than a few minutes in air conditioning. A warm fleecy was essential for our younger DGS, or his teeth would chatter so badly he couldn't eat. DH could get uncomfortable that way, too. The rest of us were fine, but sometimes we just really wanted something dry.

Ponchos are a good bet in September, too, but don't work for everyone. DD and I liked our umbrellas much better, while the menfolk preferred ponchos.

We had to make up our minds that neither heat nor rain was going to lessen our enjoyment, and that being flexible was essential for a good trip. We were disappointed that the parade we were so keen to see at MNSSHP was cancelled due to weather, but we literally skipped through puppies, and rode 7DMT over and over again. In torrential rain. Everybody on board sang at the top of their lungs, and to this day, we have had many more rides but NONE better than that night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter