Blended O'HANA: lights, water fountains, and characters OH MY!

Magic Kingdom-One Big Happy Family part 1

Today was a very big day. It was Valentine's Day, Ash Wednesday, our second Magic Kingdom day and our last park day. So many good things and the dreaded last day. Today was also the day we would all be in the park together at different times.

Our day started with an early morning and Valentines for all.
DSC_0636.JPG
We were all trying to hurry and get to the park. Our last day to try to make rope drop. The park opened at 9 but we wanted to get there early to get in line for Talking Mickey before opening. JP had an appointment at the Barbershop for 9:40 so we didn't have much time to meet Mickey.

We caught the big "bendy bus" to the Magic Kingdom. Does anyone else call the extra long buses "bendy buses"? They really looks so cool and are soooo big. Even though they're big and hold lots of people we ended up standing and holding on for dear life. It really was the strangest feeling the stand in the "bendy" area. The ground kind of moved underneath us. We arrived technically before park opening but after Main Street was open to everyone. It was just the 4 of us in the park for awhile. Gia, Ashley & David wouldn't get to the park until after Gia's workshop. Carolyn & Wayne were taking there time and would get there when they got there.

We went straight to Town Hall to get in line for Mickey. The line wasn't too long but of course wasn't moving since the park wasn't open yet. All the FPs were gone for that day so this would be our best chance to see Talking Mickey. We met lots of nice people and JP had fun entertaining everyone.
IMG_3158.jpg
You can see the line growing behind JP.
DSC_0640.JPG

He really did enjoy playing on the chains. But what kid doesn't?

Finally @ 9 the line started to move but very slowly. Our check in time for JP's 1st hair cut was approaching. We eventually had to ditch the line and head over to the Barbershop. We tried.

Getting JP's hair cut was such a blast. His cast member was so patient and entertaining. I highly suggest this to everyone. Many years ago we got Danielle's hair styled and "pixie dusted" and she loved it too. The first hair cut experience is the best. It really is the most Magical place for 1st haircuts.
DSC_0645.JPG
Of course Michelle enjoyed her Pixie Dust. I think this was her 3rd time being dusted. She was dusted when Danielle got her hair styled, when we passed by BBBoutique in DTD once and again this day. She's such a Princess.

DSC_0656.JPG

We tried to take a cute picture on the way out by the pole, but JP just wanted his bottle.

DSC_0658.JPG
While we were still on Main Street I wanted to get some more pictures. We saw our friend the Fire Chief again. He seems very relaxed.

DSC_0660.JPG
And of course the crowds were building.
DSC_0661.JPG

I was hoping to stop here later for some sweets before we left.

DSC_0662.JPG

Having spent the better part of the morning on Main Street I was ready to ride some rides. Our first MK day was spent doing attractions we could all do but now I was ready to ride some of my favorites. We had a FP for BTMRR @ 10:40, Splash @ 12:05 and Seven Dwarfs @ 2:45. But I was the only one of us 4 that wanted to ride. So what to do? I've always thought of spending time in the parks alone but hadn't really ever done it. I didn't want to miss out on fun family times but I also really wanted to ride some of my favorites. I also knew Carolyn & Wayne had really missed the kids. They were looking forward to spending some time with them. I had pretty much been the only grand parent with the kids for days and had them to myself. So we parted company. Jimmy, Michelle & John Paul headed towards Liberty Square and I headed towards Frontierland and adventure.

Up next "Touring Alone".

We caught the big "bendy bus" to the Magic Kingdom. Does anyone else call the extra long buses "bendy buses"?

I call it the accordion bus.

img_3158-jpg.390761

Awww... great photo. :)

You can see the line growing behind JP.

Key word there is "behind".

He really did enjoy playing on the chains. But what kid doesn't?

::yes::

The first hair cut experience is the best. It really is the most Magical place for 1st haircuts.

:goodvibes

Of course Michelle enjoyed her Pixie Dust. I think this was her 3rd time being dusted. She was dusted when Danielle got her hair styled, when we passed by BBBoutique in DTD once and again this day. She's such a Princess.

:laughing: Will she agree with that sentiment? Thinking... yes.

Princess has her hands full!

We saw our friend the Fire Chief again. He seems very relaxed.

dsc_0660-jpg.390766

Looks about ready to have a nap. :)

We had a FP for BTMRR @ 10:40, Splash @ 12:05 and Seven Dwarfs @ 2:45.

Nice collection!

I didn't want to miss out on fun family times but I also really wanted to ride some of my favorites.

The struggle is real, isn't it?

You all look like such a fun bunch of people. Gia is a very lucky little girl to have you all in her life and it’s wonderful that you all make such great efforts to get along together. I’m sure many precious memories were made

Gia does have lots of people who love her! The fact that everyone gets along now helps to make the memories even better. We all celebrated her 9th birthday together this weekend. Michelle & Ashley hosted the party together.

I call it the accordion bus.

I like that too. Nothing looks better than seeing that big bus when your tired, the line is long and you're ready to get off your feet.

Awww... great photo. :)

Thank you! It's one of my favorites.

Key word there is "behind".

Too bad the line "in front" was pretty long too.

:laughing: Will she agree with that sentiment? Thinking... yes.

I think she would too.

Princess has her hands full!

Yes she did. He's even more of a hand full now. We took him to a "Hands on Truck" event Saturday. He took off running several times when he saw something he couldn't wait to touch.

Looks about ready to have a nap.

I was thinking the same thing, but it was too early for a nap.

Nice collection!

I thought so too. I didn't want to miss them. Notice there isn't one for Space Mountain. Don't really care for the jerkiness of this ride. Ashley & David had a FP for it.

The struggle is real, isn't it?

It really was, but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do.

Too bad the line "in front" was pretty long too.

erk!

Yes she did. He's even more of a hand full now. We took him to a "Hands on Truck" event Saturday. He took off running several times when he saw something he couldn't wait to touch.

:laughing: Atta boy.

I thought so too. I didn't want to miss them. Notice there isn't one for Space Mountain. Don't really care for the jerkiness of this ride. Ashley & David had a FP for it.

I feel the same. I'll probably wind up riding it because Elle wants to, but...

It really was, but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do.

::yes::

It's with a very heavy heart that I'm reporting that Danielle did not get in the Fall Disney College Program. :sad: The got the official word earlier this week. She was notified Wednesday that she didn't get a character and yesterday everyone that was in "application received" was sent the notice that they were "no longer in consideration". We are all depressed. I'm very proud of her for tying and right now I don't know if she'll ever try again. Applications for the Spring semester drop in August. The original plan if she didn't get in was to add her to our Christmas 2019 trip. So now we have to decide if we want to go forward with the trip or postpone. I really hate putting off any Disney time.

Aw, man. :(
I'm sorry to hear that. Really.

Ach I’m so sorry for Danielle but kudos to her for trying! Hopefully something better lies around the corner for her :hug:

I am sorry to hear that. Bummer. I hope she trys again.

Thanks for pulling for her. We're all disappointed but everything happens for a reason. Right now is just not the right time for her. I do think she'll try again. She's very active right now in school so it's not like she doesn't have stuff to do. She do a Suicide intervention walk yesterday morning then a 20 hour Dance Marathon for Children's Miracle network. And now she'll get to go the the LSU Football games again. It's not all bad.

I'm so sorry for Danielle. My niece didn't get into the program either :sad1: She is only a freshman, so is definitely planning on applying again - though she really wants to be there in the fall, so is not trying for the spring program. My sister and I told her the same thing - there's a reason, and this just wasn't the right time. I do think this fall is going to be a crazy time in the parks, so maybe it's all for the best!

I'm so sorry for Danielle. My niece didn't get into the program either :sad1: She is only a freshman, so is definitely planning on applying again - though she really wants to be there in the fall, so is not trying for the spring program. My sister and I told her the same thing - there's a reason, and this just wasn't the right time. I do think this fall is going to be a crazy time in the parks, so maybe it's all for the best!

I'm sorry your niece didn't get in either. I looks like it's a luck of the draw. Danielle is still debating if she wants to try again. We were able to follow along with what was happening on Twitter. A few of the recruiters use it to let the applicants know when "waves" were going out. I was amazed by the amount of kids that never went past "application received" like Danielle. There were lots that had applied many times and never got in. There are only so many spots and so many more that apply.

Well shoot!! That's sad!! I know how much she really wanted this. :(

Thanks Liesa. I think she'll try again. Hopefully the next time she'll get in. For now she's planning to go with us in December. They released party tickets today. We have to figure out when we want to go.

Magic Kingdom-Solo Touring

For the first time ever I found myself in a Disney park alone. In the past I have always been with family while touring the Parks. Well, there was the one time I got really pissed with my family and stomped off on my own. But that didn't last long. This time I was really on my own and could do whatever I wanted . . . alone. Who else has ever thought about what they would do if they could be in the Parks truly alone? When you tour with family everyone kind of works together to figure out what to do next. There's a lot of give and take. So what do you do when you can truly make those choices on your own? I really didn't know what to do. But I did have 3 FPs that I did not want to go to waste. I had BTMRR 10:40-11:40 and Splash 12:05-1:05.

My window for BTMRR was already open so of course that's what I needed to do first. I didn't sashay, saunter or mosey over to BTMRR, because it's not in me to do either of those things. I'm a fast walker, always have been. I walk with purpose and at a fast pace. It served me very well back when Disney had paper FPs. I was always the FPs gatherer. So I proceeded at a nice speed to my first FP. Being a Disney veteran I took the road less traveled by taking the wooden walk way along the water. I could walk as fast as I wanted and zip and zag around people. It didn't take me any time at all to get to BTMRR only to be told the ride was down. All that work for nothing. Of course an anytime FP was loaded to MDE. What to do now? My FP for Splash wasn't open for about an hour or so. So many choices but I went with an old favorite. . .Pirates! I really wanted to ride one more time before it was changed.

I briskly walked past Splash and headed for Adventureland. I took a detour in the restroom at the exit of Pirates. It's amazing how fast you can get in and out of the loo when you're alone. I joined the multitude of others in the Pirates stand by line. I think I waited about 30 minutes but since I had the time it didn't bother me. So here I was in line to ride my first ride by myself. Since I'm a people watcher it really didn't bother me. I also don't have any issues with talking to others. I got in the habit of taking quick pictures with my phone so I could remember where I went.

IMG_3162.jpg

I was seated alone in the very last row. I imagine that's where they put the loners.

I snapped a picture with my phone of the "Red Head" to document and post on Instagram & Facebook.

IMG_3163.jpg
Here's my first Pirates ride photo and I'm not even looking at the camera. At least you can see me.

MK_PIRATESRIDE_20180214_8175318386.jpeg

After my Pirate adventure it was time for some food. My favorite CS in Magic Kingdom is Columbia Harbor House. I missed out on eating there on my previous 2 trips and didn't want to miss out again. Since this was Ash Wednesday it was the perfect choice. It was time for another MK first, eating alone. I used mobile ordering for the first time and even figured out how to use my CS credit for payment. Once I entered I got in "the cool kids line" which didn't take long at all. Food in hand I headed upstairs to enjoy my meal. I found a table for 2 that was perfect for just me. I had been looking forward to tying the lobster roll since Michelle had it in 2012.
DSC_0663.JPG

And I might have felt a little awkward sitting alone taking pictures of my food.

I took another photo to mark where I was eating.

DSC_0665.JPG

Once I was finished I made a bee line for Splash. Splash is my favorite themed ride in all the parks. No it's not the most thrilling but it's the best themed. As you ride through the adventures of Brer Rabbit there is just so much to see and the music is fun too. While in line I once again marked my location.
IMG_3166.jpg
I chose this particular picture as a tribute to Danielle. The first time we took her on Splash we tricked her into riding. She did not want to ride Splash Mountain so we told her she was riding the "Bunny Ride" and showed her this picture. She of course fell for it and luckily didn't hate the ride or us and still rides it.

I was once again given a seat near the back. I will say that it was the driest ride I have ever had. I did enjoy my ride cause I love to lose my stomach. Drops don't bother me at all.
MK_SPLASH_20180214_408850490536.jpeg

After Splash it was time for another bathroom break so I headed to my favorite loo in the Magic Kingdom, the Tangled bathrooms. I headed there for 2 reasons, I like the theme of the area and I wanted to look for some Pacals.

DSC_0666.JPG DSC_0669.JPG
I don't think I ever took the time to notice this waterfall.
DSC_0667.JPG

Continued in next post. . .

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts