Biting the bullet and switching to Direct TV. Cable is out of control price-wise

We were paying almost $200/month for cable and high speed internet in 2017. We moved out of state, and took the opportunity to try out cutting the cord- we got internet at the new house and signed up for PlayStation VUE. Cost was $60/month for internet and $45 for VUE. About 6 months later, we added Netflix- another $10/month, I think. Once a year went by, internet bumped up to $80/month and VUE is up to $52. So, we pay about $142/month, which is still about $50 less than we used to pay.

We are thinking of switching from VUE to Hulu for our main streaming service- they have almost the same channels available, and the cost is $12 less per month. I wish we could use a digital antenna for our local stations, but we are in a valley and the local stations all come from more than 50 miles away- we've heard from multiple people that nothing really comes in.

My dh wants to get , an antenna, the law was passed that HD channels have to be signaled out for free.
What law is he talking about? Over the air broadcast (OTA) has always been free.

He feels we could pull in other channels over the internet on our Smart tv. The only problem we have is that we live pretty far out in he country and I have a feeling, we will have a weak signal.
I think you're getting signals confused. If you have fast internet, then you have fast internet. If you're way out in the country, you might have trouble receiving OTA broadcasts. That's why it's important to look at the websites I mentioned earlier to see what channels are available to you.

We moved almost 3 months ago and dropped Directv. I was sure we could stream Directv now or something comparable for a lot less money. Well, we only have Netflix and Amazon prime right now and the only thing I miss is local channels and HGTV. I have also remembered that I HATE commercials. Hate, hate, hate them. When I've compared Directv now, Hulu live, Sling tv, Philo, Youtube tv etc... once you add in the no commercials (if it's really no commercials which it's often not) and dvr capability we might just go back to Directv. We have no interest in sports. I really wish there was a way you could get HGTV separately for a flat fee. I'd be perfectly happy with an antenna for local channels and paying $8-10 a month for HGTV + keeping Netflix and Amazon prime.

I've had Directv for about 20 years. I never had any major problems until AT&T bought them out. The first few months we had more outages than in 20 years. They seemed to have resolved that problem but my bill continues to creep up. If it weren't for my college age son and his "need" to log into my account at school to access his sports programs I would cut the cord today and just stream what I want to watch.

I haven't had cable TV in years, used Dish and Direct on off for around 20 years. Then when HD came out I started getting ticked off at the games Dish was playing and fired them and went to Direct. Last year we fired them too, for as much garbage is out on TV I can't see spending over $100. We took DirecTV Now up on their offer for 3 months and a free AppleTV, then fired Direct again (lack of customer service) and we went with Hulu. For PAC12 football we add Sling for about 3 months and we're good to go. For about $40/month and cost of an antenna we're golden.

Yikes! $200+ a month? I guess I have to stop complaining about paying $130 a month for Dish.
Plus another $70 for the internet puts you right back to cable prices.

When I got divorced, Directv was $159. 2nd tier package with no add-ons. A separate bill from another company for internet and phone for $85 put us at $244/month.

Just know there's a chance you need to be "away" for 6 months - 1 year before you're considered a "new" customer.
You don't get to that point with DirecTV. You call them demanding new equipment so you can view the programming you pay for and they charge you several hundred for it. I was going from 2 SD very old receivers that didn't pick up half the programming I paid for. Called them and they wanted $700+ for the new equipment. Told them to cancel my account to which they sent me to "retentions". That is where they gave me the discount. Problem is, it's for a year and you are now in a 2 year contract. The 2nd year will go back to big pricing and you're stuck waiting for the 2nd year to finish.

Dish Network did the same with wanting to charge me hundreds for what they give new customers at no charge. Instead of cancelling first, I called and had DirecTV installed. Then called to cancel and they wanted to throw all the king's gold at me to stay. It was too late at that point, was already watching DirecTV.

You don't get to that point with DirecTV. You call them demanding new equipment so you can view the programming you pay for and they charge you several hundred for it. I was going from 2 SD very old receivers that didn't pick up half the programming I paid for. Called them and they wanted $700+ for the new equipment. Told them to cancel my account to which they sent me to "retentions". That is where they gave me the discount. Problem is, it's for a year and you are now in a 2 year contract. The 2nd year will go back to big pricing and you're stuck waiting for the 2nd year to finish.

Dish Network did the same with wanting to charge me hundreds for what they give new customers at no charge. Instead of cancelling first, I called and had DirecTV installed. Then called to cancel and they wanted to throw all the king's gold at me to stay. It was too late at that point, was already watching DirecTV.
It's going to depend on the customer.

You can always cancel in the second year, the cancellation fee is prorated.

Plus another $70 for the internet puts you right back to cable prices.

When I got divorced, Directv was $159. 2nd tier package with no add-ons. A separate bill from another company for internet and phone for $85 put us at $244/month.
Lucky to get U-Verse for $60.

We just got rid of Directv and I couldn't be happier with the choice. Our bill was over $150/ month for only 2 TVs and didn't even include Sunday ticket. Our internet with Comcast is another $90 and we don't really have other options in our area for that and I refuse to enter another contract with them. Right now for TV we have Prime and Netflix and are now also saving a bunch of money on movie rental fees since Netflix has a lot of stuff.

I'm still fighting with DirecTV though because they charged us a cancellation fee, claiming we still had 6 months under contract. We've had DirecTV for 7.5 years, last renewed the contract over 3 years ago when we upgraded equipment. No new equipment since, and no promotional rate for a while now. After digging through my records, the only thing that coincides with the supposed "new contract" date is that they had to reset our receiver over the phone after it went out. They're claiming we had new equipment installed, but records show that we have had the same equipment since 2015 and no one had been to our house since early 2016 (after a garbage truck tore down their lines). I will never go back to DirecTV.

We had cable ten years ago. Dropped it for DirecTV. Stayed with that until three years ago and dropped it once the bill got out of control and they wouldn't lower it. Now we have local channels on the antenna and Netflix and Hulu. Very happy with what we have right now but when something better comes I will move again.

We just got rid of Directv and I couldn't be happier with the choice. Our bill was over $150/ month for only 2 TVs and didn't even include Sunday ticket. Our internet with Comcast is another $90 and we don't really have other options in our area for that and I refuse to enter another contract with them. Right now for TV we have Prime and Netflix and are now also saving a bunch of money on movie rental fees since Netflix has a lot of stuff.

I'm still fighting with DirecTV though because they charged us a cancellation fee, claiming we still had 6 months under contract. We've had DirecTV for 7.5 years, last renewed the contract over 3 years ago when we upgraded equipment. No new equipment since, and no promotional rate for a while now. After digging through my records, the only thing that coincides with the supposed "new contract" date is that they had to reset our receiver over the phone after it went out. They're claiming we had new equipment installed, but records show that we have had the same equipment since 2015 and no one had been to our house since early 2016 (after a garbage truck tore down their lines). I will never go back to DirecTV.
I'd recommend that you check out https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1045585. I had a billing problem with DIRECTV, followed the procedure and had a call back in a week with the problem resolved.

We get Dish Network for $80 including fees. Top 200 channels, no locals (use antenna), 1 DVR, 2nd HD receiver. Just locked in for another two years.
I have Top 250. 2 DVR Receivers, 1 regular receiver, locals, Super stations. I probably should review the packages and see if I can scale back on the channels. They keep calling me and asking if I want them to come out for $150 and put an antenna up so I can drop locals. That would save me $12 a month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter