Birthday trip with DD where to try to stay?

kt_mom

DIS Veteran
Well, I think I have talked DH into letting me and DD go on a mother/daughter trip in March for her birthday. DH wants to stay in the Wilderness Lodge for our december trip which means we would have 110 banked points to use up before Feb 2013.

DD turns 9 during her spring break in March. So I thought it might be fun to take a mother/daughter trip and use up those points. I really thought that DH would immediately say no becuase he would think it would be really expensive, but he didn't. And after I laid out my plan for the cost of the trip he was even more open to the idea.

So I called member services today to see about a room. I really wanted a studio at BLT, any view is fine but there wasn't anything available for all of our days. She said they did have a savanah view at Jambo house available so I booked that and waitlisted for standard view and theme park view at BLT.

I was thinking that BLT would be our best choice because we will probably spend most of our time at MK and DHS so it would be nice to be able to walk to MK. But now I'm torn because I think DD might really enjoy AKL. I'm just worried that since its a busier time of year we are going to spend a lot of time waiting for buses. At the same time, DH is very impatient and would not enjoy the extended bus time at AK so this might be the time to try this out.

We've only stayed at BLT and I do want to try some of the other DVC resorts. So maybe I should have waitlisted for something else new to try? I just don't know. I'm not planning any table service meals this trip. I think DD and I will just be trying to do as many of her favorite things as we can and grabbing CS meals when we are hungry.

Should I keep the waitlist as is, try for something new to us, or try AKL out this time?

It sounds like you have a perfect opportunity to try something different without your DH along. I'd drop the WL's and stay at AKV.

If you really want BLT, waitlist lake view. That will give you the best chance of getting it, as the majority of villas at BLT are in the lake view category.

I vote for staying at AKV -- it's a unique experience among the DVC resorts. If you have never stayed at AKV, this would be a nice opportunity. Your DD would love seeing the animals right outside your room.

One way to avoid a crowded bus issue at AKV is to see if they have a room available at Kidani. All of the park busses stop there first -- EMPTY. The ride to MK from AKV is about 25 minutes and HS is about 10-15 minutes. One drawback to Kidani is the lack of a counter service restaurant. There is Mara at Jambo and you can take any of the park busses from Kidani to Jambo when you need to go over there. The pool area at Kidani is really nice.

You did not mention what room type you were staying in. The studios at BLT are small, although for the two of you it would be fine. The studios at OKW have two queen beds and are quite large, but I don't think it would be as interesting of a place to stay for your daughter . . . and it is her special trip after all.

I vote for staying at AKV -- it's a unique experience among the DVC resorts. If you have never stayed at AKV, this would be a nice opportunity. Your DD would love seeing the animals right outside your room.

One way to avoid a crowded bus issue at AKV is to see if they have a room available at Kidani. All of the park busses stop there first -- EMPTY. The ride to MK from AKV is about 25 minutes and HS is about 10-15 minutes. One drawback to Kidani is the lack of a counter service restaurant. There is Mara at Jambo and you can take any of the park busses from Kidani to Jambo when you need to go over there. The pool area at Kidani is really nice.

You did not mention what room type you were staying in. The studios at BLT are small, although for the two of you it would be fine. The studios at OKW have two queen beds and are quite large, but I don't think it would be as interesting of a place to stay for your daughter . . . and it is her special trip after all.

I don't think the small size of the BLT studio would be an issue with just me and DD. The room I have reserved at AKV is a Savannah view at Jambo house. I think we would want to be close to the CS and shops. We will be eating mostly CS so we aren't tied to any ADR's this trip. We will want to take advantage of the opportunity to do the parks until we drop since its just us. I think my only hold back on the AKV is being so far from MK. We'll probably split our time between their and HS.

I'm torn. I think I might call back tomorrow and take the WL off for now.

The ambiance at Jambo is WONDERFUL! Memories will fade over the bus wait, but unless you go to Africa, don't know of a place you can look out and see so many incredible animals from your room. That memory will last a life time.

Keep Jambo, drop the waitlist.

Congratulations on a wonderful trip!

I called this morning and canceled the WL for BLT. I think we'll do AKV. It will be a good opportunity to try them out. Anyone have any tips or favorite things about Jambo house or AKV in general?

Well, it seems you've made your decision, but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway...I'd go with WL. It is much closer to the MK than AKL plus they have those cute little boats which go back and forth between MK, WL and lots of other places on the lakes. I love riding those boats.

Well, it seems you've made your decision, but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway...I'd go with WL. It is much closer to the MK than AKL plus they have those cute little boats which go back and forth between MK, WL and lots of other places on the lakes. I love riding those boats.

I thought about trying to waitlist for WL but I think that's where we are going to stay in December. Its DH favorite resort and he wants to pay cash and stay in the lodge CY view like we did in 2008.

Hence the extra points to take this trip in March. They are banked points and need to be used up this year. Then we'll bank our 2012 points and we'll be able to do a 1 bedroom again in 2013. At which point we are hoping to be a family of 5 so the extra space would be great.

So I think I want to try something new with DD this time. This will be our only chance to do this for a long time if DH and I have another baby next year. I wouldn't mind trying for BCV (I know its probably a long shot that time of year) but I think that DH would enjoy staying there at some point so it might be better to save for a trip with him and DS. AKV just seems to be the best choice because its low on DH list of places he would want to stay becuase its farther out.

Mommy daughter trips are great. Enjoy the special time you have with her! AKV will be awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter