Birthday Cruise

wacowgirl

Mouseketeer
Good morning! My mom surprised me the other day and wants to take a DCL cruise in March for my birthday. Yes, at 45 years old, my mom still likes to take me on trips.. lol.. this will be our first ever DCL and only 2nd cruise. I have a very short time to plan, reserve and figure out what I would like to do. She did say she wants a verandah as the last cruise we took (Alaska), we were stuck in an inside stateroom (thanks Aunt K). We love to take in the scenery and ocean water. I'm wanting to do the 4-night Bahamian cruise on March 23rd. I also am looking at spending a few days before or after the cruise at WDW.

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Good morning! My mom surprised me the other day and wants to take a DCL cruise in March for my birthday. Yes, at 45 years old, my mom still likes to take me on trips.. lol.. this will be our first ever DCL and only 2nd cruise. I have a very short time to plan, reserve and figure out what I would like to do. She did say she wants a verandah as the last cruise we took (Alaska), we were stuck in an inside stateroom (thanks Aunt K). We love to take in the scenery and ocean water. I'm wanting to do the 4-night Bahamian cruise on March 23rd. I also am looking at spending a few days before or after the cruise at WDW.

Any suggestions are welcomed!

nothing wrong with a inside room. 19 out of 23 cruises I have been inside. 18 out of 22 on dcl. Some people will tell you the better stateroom you have the more time you will spend in your stateroom. We don’t go on cruises to spend extra time in our stateroom. Enjoy your birthday cruise.

I love a verandah. But there is more deck space than you could ever want. And the views up there are the best. I would take a birthday cruise on the inside any day! Our trip next year to Italy and Greece is inside and there are 4 of us. Any cruise is better than no cruise at all. Enjoy your birthday cruise!

We always have a verandah (DH only request). Love the verandah for relaxing, watching ships in the area, and having a glass of wine.
Do WDW before the cruise. If you have the scheduled time, do all the running around the parks first and relax on the cruise second.

Our first 3 cruises were verandas but our kids were younger and once they are back in the room you are a prisoner of your room so the veranda was our access to the outside world so of. The price difference to a veranda from an ocean view is not that much, depending on the room of course. It's best to have a good look at the DCL site and decide for yourself. When we cruised on the Dream in 2013 we had booked it almost 2 years ahead because we specifically wanted room 10166. This next cruise we will have an ocean room for the first time because wanted to try the double porthole room.

I like doing the park before better than after but that is personal preference. It’s because the cruise is relaxing to me and I prefer to return home from the cruise.

I too like verandah. On the Dream the starboard side typically has a view of castaway cay. We prefer port so we can watch all the dock activity. It seems starboard goes faster.

On the Dream, we like mid ship or forward. Definitely forward for deck 10. We don’t like hearing the deck 11 noise. This being said if your or your mom have mobility issues check where you think you might be hanging out on ship or go midship. This is just how we do it and I am sure there are lots of other opinions.

My birthday is also around this time and I have been able to do one birthday cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I also sail with my mom :)

We always have a verandah (DH only request). Love the verandah for relaxing, watching ships in the area, and having a glass of wine.
Do WDW before the cruise. If you have the scheduled time, do all the running around the parks first and relax on the cruise second.
Agree with going to WDW first and wrapping up your trip with copious amounts of relaxation on the cruise. We book-ended a trip last year with a week at WDW, DCL cruise and back to WDW after the cruise. I went from frenzied, to relaxed and back to frenzied. Not the best way to end a vacation. o_O

Agree with going to WDW first and wrapping up your trip with copious amounts of relaxation on the cruise. We book-ended a trip last year with a week at WDW, DCL cruise and back to WDW after the cruise. I went from frenzied, to relaxed and back to frenzied. Not the best way to end a vacation. o_O
I've always said: WDW is like running a marathon every day (like the movie Ground Hog Day). Cruising is pure relaxation.

Thanks, everyone for your comments and suggestions! We are the starboard side and on deck 9. I can't wait to be watching the ship dock at Castway Cay! As for my complaining about being in an inside stateroom, this wasn't on DCL but NCL and it was so drab and gloomy. Nothing like DCL inside staterooms! Mom and I prefer the views of the open water and we just couldn't do that while unwinding in our rooms.

We are booked on the Dream and even my dad decided to come along! We're hitting the parks prior to our cruise- thank you all for that suggestion!!!!

Thanks, everyone for your comments and suggestions! We are the starboard side and on deck 9. I can't wait to be watching the ship dock at Castway Cay! As for my complaining about being in an inside stateroom, this wasn't on DCL but NCL and it was so drab and gloomy. Nothing like DCL inside staterooms! Mom and I prefer the views of the open water and we just couldn't do that while unwinding in our rooms.

We are booked on the Dream and even my dad decided to come along! We're hitting the parks prior to our cruise- thank you all for that suggestion!!!!
Sounds like a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter