Birth Certificate ?

NYDisneyMom

I need to have a vacation planned at all times...
I just noticed that my birth certicate does not have a raised seal on it. It's the only one I've ever had -- and I must have used it at one point to get a passport (that's long expired). So will I have a hard time using this for our cruise?? Do I need to order one with a seal on it? :confused:

What you need is the official, legal, certified birth certificate that was issued by the state where you were born. SOme have raised seal, some have holographic stuff on them, some don't have anything "fancy." They just have to be the certified, state birth certificate, NOT something issued by a hospital or doc's office (which is really just a souvenier certificate.)

If what you have was what enabled you to get a passport, it is probably the right thing. If you have the expired passport, take it along! It makes a convenient "just in case" document. You're not travelling anywhere that requires a passport, but it's never a bad idea to take it as a "backup" piece of ID, along with a driver's license or other photo ID.

Originally posted by kcashner
What you need is the official, legal, certified birth certificate that was issued by the state where you were born. SOme have raised seal, some have holographic stuff on them, some don't have anything "fancy." They just have to be the certified, state birth certificate, NOT something issued by a hospital or doc's office (which is really just a souvenier certificate.)

If what you have was what enabled you to get a passport, it is probably the right thing. If you have the expired passport, take it along! It makes a convenient "just in case" document. You're not travelling anywhere that requires a passport, but it's never a bad idea to take it as a "backup" piece of ID, along with a driver's license or other photo ID.

Thanks!! I'll have to go back in the safe box and check it. I do have my old passport... it's close to 20 years old now and as much as I wish I did, I don't resemble the girl in that picture much anymore!! LOL!!

why not just make life easy and renew the passport??? Its good for 10 years. I guess I'm becoming a big baby, but I can't imagine leaving the country without a passport. We have them for ourselves and each of my kids have had them since they were born, or at least 3 months. (my 4 year old picture is kind of funny considering the difference in him now!!)

For someone like me who doesn't expect to do any traveling in foreign countries in the near future, it does not make sense to get a passport. It would be quite costly for my family and I would rather spend the money elsewhere (maybe in the spa). ;)

Plus, you probably have an official birth certificate on file if you do not have one already. You never know when you are going to need it.

Denae

I agree with Clarabelle. Go out and get the passport.

We just got back from the passport office today. We got passports for each of our three children ($70.00 / each). I believe the adult passports are $85.00 / each. It will take between 4 and 6 weeks to received them via US Mail.

For piece of mind, it's worth the investment.

:cool:

Originally posted by Jamashp
We got passports for each of our three children ($70.00 / each). I believe the adult passports are $85.00 / each. It will take between 4 and 6 weeks to received them via US Mail.

For piece of mind, it's worth the investment.

:cool:

I honestly can't see spending over $300 on passports if they're not needed. I don't see us traveling abroad any time soon -- maybe in 10 years or so when my kids are teenagers but not before then. So, the passport thing isn't happening for us. I'd rather spend the $300 on the cruise! :boat:

But traveling by cruise is traveling abroad. You are leaving the country. If you get off the ship in Mexico, St. Maarten, Bahamas, Grand Caymen, etc., etc,. these are all foreign places, god forbid something horrible were to happen, I would want that immediate proof that I was a US citizen. We bring them everywhere we travel, make copies of them and leave the originals in the safe. That way we are covered no matter what.

Originally posted by ClarabelleCow
But traveling by cruise is traveling abroad. You are leaving the country. If you get off the ship in Mexico, St. Maarten, Bahamas, Grand Caymen, etc., etc,. these are all foreign places, god forbid something horrible were to happen, I would want that immediate proof that I was a US citizen. We bring them everywhere we travel, make copies of them and leave the originals in the safe. That way we are covered no matter what.

Okay..not to be argumentative but my birth certificate says where I was born, which is proof that I'm a U.S. citizen. I traveled to Europe a few times for work and I needed a passport. But honestly, I don't see the need for it when traveling to a vacation spot. I've been to Mexico many times and never felt the need for a passport there. JMO.
Making copies is a good idea...I'll make sure to make copies of our birth certificates and leave the originals in the safe. Thanks!

Be sure that you take the ORIGINAL of the birth certificate with you on the cruise. A copy is not good enough.

Originally posted by kcashner
Be sure that you take the ORIGINAL of the birth certificate with you on the cruise. A copy is not good enough.

:) Right. I meant keeping the original in the safe on the ship, taking a copy with us when going on the islands. Thanks, though!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter