Birkenstocks????

casper_jj11

DIS Veteran
I've seen so many posts about crocs and other shoes and I'm surprised that I haven't seen any about Birks. I've had mine for years now and just love them. Has anyone worn these in the parks? What are your experiences? Our first family trip is in August and while I'm trying to break in a new pair of joggers for the trip, I'm a bit concerned that they'll be too hot.

While I'm on the topic of shoes.... what is moleskin? Is there another name for it in Canada? Where can I buy it? I've been to the drugstore and havent had any luck.

Thanks!

Joanne

I love my Birks! I can't wear them for a full day in the parks however as I start to get shin pain. I usually switch off with my tennis shoes halfway through the day.

Moleskin can be found in the same isle as Dr. Schols foot care items. It comes in a package and looks like a piece of sticky fabric.

In my opinion, Birks are the best shoe ever invented! I tried a pair a few yers ago and could not believe how comfy they were. Bought my mom a pair as she has problems with her feet..she thought they were ugly so would not wear them...in feb she was almost unable to walk on her one foot as it hurt so badly. Reminded her to try them, what did she have to lose...she tried them and has been wearing them ever since...

I have worn mine several times to amusement parks...most recently last week to Six Flags and I can go all day without sore feet....

I think it is amazing as every time we go to Disney after the first day or 2 in other shoes I find myself getting out of bed and having to walk very gingerly on my sore feet...and when I wear by Birkis I have no problems even after 9 full days in a row.

I have4-5 pairs of birks and wear then year round, even got my hubby converted over to them. Probably have been wearing them for over 15 years now.
I do wear them in the parks and find them comfortable. I do switch pairs each day, sometimes wearing one pair in the morning and a different pair in the evening, seems to help me with sore feet.
The only problem is when it rains, I don't want to ruin a $100 pair of shoes so I did buy a pair of aircrocs for those rainy days and have found them quite comfortable also.

Bev

I just bought my first pair from QVC. They just came and I am putting them on as we speak. I bought a pair with a backstrap. I think they are much cuter than crocs (tried a pair of Airwalks "fake crocs" last night and I didn't like them). How long does it usually take to break them in?

I love my birkis! That is all I wear when I go to DW. I have never had a problem with sore feet after walking all day in the parks! It never really takes me anytime to break them in. It shouldn't take over a week to feel comfortable in them. :cool1:

After the twins were born, I developed plantar fascitis in both feet. I had surgery and shock wave therapy. I was resigned to never being able to wear heels or decent looking shoes again! My doctor told me "No bare feet and always wear your orthotic inserts". I was depressed! On a whim (and totally against the doctor's advice) I bought a pair of Birkenstock Stellas. Then I was hooked! My feet have been great ever since. In the winter I still wear my inserts in regular shoes, but my Birkenstock Bridgets are now my "slippers". On our last trip in March I wore my Birkenstock Caribbean sandals all day in the parks. They are only about $40, and they are plastic, and waterproof! BTW - I did try Crocs but my feet hurt after a while because there really isn't enough arch support, at least for my particular problem feet! But initially they felt great!

I've been a big Birk's fan for about 6-7 years now. I can wear them and walk for miles and miles. I do find that the Crocs are easier on my hips, so they might be better if someone has real hip or knee problems.

Lately I've been wearing Merrell sandals and clogs - they are SO comfortable and look better, but I haven't given them the miles and miles walk test.

DD and I have several pairs of Birks. Usually I didnt wear them in the parks all day. But in April I was in Fort Lauderdale and had to walk to and from where I was working (a mile each way) twice a day. They were fine. So when we were at WDW in May it was hot and my shoes were bothering me and I put on the Birks....and never took them off. I also had a pair of Nike sandals that are similar to Tevas. They were ok too but not as nice as the Birks. The ones I wore were Nepal (cross strap) and are VERY broken in; about 4 years old. I have a pair of Ibizi that I didnt take because they are more of flip flop and I thought they would not be as comfortable slapping my heel every step. I also have a water proof pair that would NOT be comfortable all day long but is good for going to the pools etc.

I am not a croc fan but I am interested in the Scute design.

Major Birks fan here!!! I adore them, and even though everyone on the Dis sings the praises of Crocs, I just can't bring myself to even try them. I wear Birks all year round...I know that they will be the BEST things to wear in the parks. I have black patent Sydney's that I wear with my "dressy" clothes and every color and style under the sun. I wear the clogs in the winter. I'm even wearing the pink sparkley Heidi Klum birks for my "Wedding Shoes"!!! I LOVE THEM!!! I'll wear them out...which is how I justified the price to my DF...I'll wear my wedding shoes all during my honeymoon!! How many people can say that?! I have found that the "waterproof" birks are not at all comfy to wear for long periods of time...something about the grooves in the PVC footbed...not a good choice by the people at Birkenstock!

I did find www.baumhouse.com they are Germany based web company, but their prices make the $15 air shipping and two week wait worth it. Serioulsy, tons of styles you don't see here in the states at much lower prices, even with the shipping! Birks fans should check it out!!!

yeah...i'm a birks nut! :crazy:

I love my Birks....all 10 pairs, but I get shin pain too whe I am walking a lot. I am planning to try the crocs though. We'll see.

I bought a pair to wear to WDW a few years ago. Wore them lots before I went to break them in. Once there I wore them all day one day and was almost crippled from shin pain by the end of the day and even still hurt the next day. Now, I've got myself a $100 pair of garden shoes...

littleladykaty, did you say PINK and SPARKLEY and BIRKS all in one sentence? Oh, all of my favorite things! I will be hunting for these online! :cool1:

I love my Birks!!! I wear them every August we go down. I love them more than tennis shoes. I just had my favorite 2 pairs resoled so I can get them ready for my trip. I will only take them with me....no more tennis shoes. They are the best!!! :thumbsup2

littleladykaty said:
Major Birks fan here!!! I adore them, and even though everyone on the Dis sings the praises of Crocs, I just can't bring myself to even try them. I wear Birks all year round...I know that they will be the BEST things to wear in the parks. I have black patent Sydney's that I wear with my "dressy" clothes and every color and style under the sun. I wear the clogs in the winter. I'm even wearing the pink sparkley Heidi Klum birks for my "Wedding Shoes"!!! I LOVE THEM!!! I'll wear them out...which is how I justified the price to my DF...I'll wear my wedding shoes all during my honeymoon!! How many people can say that?! I have found that the "waterproof" birks are not at all comfy to wear for long periods of time...something about the grooves in the PVC footbed...not a good choice by the people at Birkenstock!

I did find www.baumhouse.com they are Germany based web company, but their prices make the $15 air shipping and two week wait worth it. Serioulsy, tons of styles you don't see here in the states at much lower prices, even with the shipping! Birks fans should check it out!!!

yeah...i'm a birks nut! :crazy:

I've been a Birks nut too for about 6 years. My very first two were the black patent Sydney's (my dress birks) and a pair of the waterproof. I agree with you that the waterproof birks don't compare at all for comfort. They even gave me blisters at the beach.

I have some silver sparkly ones and some bronze tone.

QVC carries some different Birks than I've seen in the stores, but HSN also carries the German Birks. The German company sold the rights in the U.S. almost 40 years ago to a CA company so that's why there are two different companies and styles.

Most of my Birks I've bought at the outlets in Orlando or in Gilroy, CA (35 miles so. of San Jose).

TinkerBrie said:
littleladykaty, did you say PINK and SPARKLEY and BIRKS all in one sentence? Oh, all of my favorite things! I will be hunting for these online! :cool1:

Oh yes...Pink AND Sparkley!!! Heidi Klum did a whole line...she did Arizonas, Gizehs and Ibizas I think...the more flip floppy birks...added metallic leather in the footbeds and massive bling on the straps!!! They are pink, silver, green, and gold...I think that's it for colors. I got the Arizonas and I just adore them. I'll wear them out!! They are PRICEY though...like $300 give or take...it's a little nuts...but they are so cute and for the Birk fanatic they are must have!! You can find them "on sale" (down to $259 or something) on Birkentstockcentral.com...Zappos doesn't usually have them, but Zappos charges SO MUCH for their birks...I only buy them there when they are massively on sale...like sandals in October and Clogs in July. Their shipping can't be beat but way over inflated in price!! Heidi Klum also did some clogs with Zebra stripes and some cheetah spots and some really ugly high tops with lions on them...also overly expensive.

good lord I'm addicted! :rotfl:

I love my birks but not in Disney, my shins and the bottom of my feet hurt so bad at the end of the night I limp until morning and sometimes longer. This year I found Dansko and will be trying them at Disney. They are an orthopedic shoe that does not llok at all like they are. I have to say they really are very comfortable. I'll let you know in September.

I saw moleskin at shopper's drug mart in nova scotia yesterday. it was a Dr. Scholls product, next to the insoles and such.

I am new to birks, i've only had mine for less than a year. i have the arizona style and it took me about a month to break them in (my big toe will not go in the designated area :sad2: ) As for wearing them in WDW i would be affraid of getting them wet. I have bought airwalks and some op sandals to wear in sept but i might take this (which i am wearing right now) just in case :Pinkbounc

As a long time devotee of birks, I would say that getting the nubuck cork sole birks wet is not a good idea. I mean a splash here and there is fine. (I wear mine constantly and trying to bathe a very rowdy little four year old has resulted in several bathwater baptisms of the birks and they are fine!) And I'm so sad to say this, but the waterproof PVC soled birks that I do have would not be reccommended for long days in the parks. They are totally flat soled with no support really and the grooves in the soles are agony on hot sweaty days! I'm not sure what Birks was thinking on this end! (then again, on some days they are fine and really comfy...it's hit and miss depending on the weather) They do have a style called Carribean...they are flip flop like, they have smooth soles and holes for water drainage, but I've heard that the toe post is really thick and can cause blisters. :confused3

Regular birks though I find to be FANTASTIC for long treks...I just adore mine. They are so worth the price. I'm really sad that those people who have found themselves in pain after wearing birks are not experiencing the foot joy that my birks bring me!!! ;)

(I have to confess that i crossed to the dark side...sort of...I bought a $15 pair of Crocs Nile sandals...they ARE light and comfy-ish but I AM getting a blister on my little toe and I have never had a blister with birks! SO THERE crocs! ;) )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!