Big Kid Stroller

Raven01

Proud Momma to DD
My DD4 is 43 inches, and around 42 pounds. She is around the 95th percentile for height and weight.

We are going to WDW and staying at AKL on a Mommy Daughter trip. I’m struggling on strollers.

I don’t want to spend a fortune buying one for a bigger kid, but we are going to Disney next December too. I’m guessing she will need it for a couple of years? I expect her to hit 50 pounds by four and a half so I need one for a higher weight.

By the time I rent for two upcoming trips, I could buy. The ones you rent are so large, and hard for me to handle on my own if she is sleepy (My last Scooterbug rental would not fold easily, which was a pain on buses. And AKL is all buses.).

I don’t really like the hard blue plastic ones at the parks, though they are an option.

But I’m struggling finding a less than $100 stroller that is lightweight AND has a high weight limit. The one I found I was all ready to buy, but she hits the height limit now.

So, help?! Should I

1. Rent the big one.
2. Buy one.
3. rent at the park.

And does anyone have a recommendation for a stroller with a high weight limit? The ones I’m finding are $200 and more.

FWIW, this next trip is for her and will be built on her pace, but I just don’t think she will be ready for all the walking for a while. We are DVC and go yearly. We don’t use a stroller at home so this is a Disney only stroller. I have pondered not renting one at all, but I feel like a Stroller will make this a more enjoyable trip.

My first instict is to say, you prob won't need one for all day everyday. My girls stopped needed them around the same age your DD is now. You can roll the dice and just rent at the parks if DD gets tired. I hate the hard plastic ones they rent and you won't have it for around the hotel which seems like an issue for your stay.

Since you don't use one at home, I would just say rent one for the week. Most of the rental company strollers are CitiMinis which fold super easy and one handed. You won't have to travel with it to and from FL either, though that might not be an issue for you.

We got a used Bob Revolution on FB marketplace for $70. It has a 70 lb weight limit and my 42.5 in 40 lb 4.5 yr old uses it sometimes. We also were able to get an Englacha Junior X rider attachment (we got it used for $25). It has a little seat with handle bars that attaches behind many different kinds of strollers, so we hook it on the Bob. My oldest prefers it because he can undo the seatbelt himself and he walks part of the time, rides part of the time. It has a 55 lb weight limit so we will see how long he gets to use it. We will still probably use it after we only have 1 kid in that age/weight range and just put our backpack in the front stroller.

Yes, find a used Bob’s or other jogging stroller on a moms site. We had a Chicco one , i can’t remember the weight limit we used till they were 6 years old. I did buy one from Jeep, a basic umbrella that held up to 50 lbs I used on the trip my oldest was 7. Back when babies r us store was still around. We took strollers till they were over 7 years old. We would stroll in the morning and park at tomorrowland. Leaving the extra raincoats in the bottom. Then midday pick up the stroller and go over to Adventureland. I loved having the stroller in the evening when they got tired and especially for leaving the crowded park at night. We often go from 9am till 10pm. And having a stroller , kept us form having cranky kids.

Yes, find a used Bob’s or other jogging stroller on a moms site. We had a Chicco one , i can’t remember the weight limit we used till they were 6 years old. I did buy one from Jeep, a basic umbrella that held up to 50 lbs I used on the trip my oldest was 7. Back when babies r us store was still around. We took strollers till they were over 7 years old. We would stroll in the morning and park at tomorrowland. Leaving the extra raincoats in the bottom. Then midday pick up the stroller and go over to Adventureland. I loved having the stroller in the evening when they got tired and especially for leaving the crowded park at night. We often go from 9am till 10pm. And having a stroller , kept us form having cranky kids.
I used the Jeep umbrella one too and it held up really well.

I ended up getting a GB Pockit. I like the small footprint, and it goes to 55 pounds. I am hopeful my tall DD will be able to use it a couple of years.

I decided a stroller was best for us. I just don’t think she will make it long if she walked.

I ended up getting a GB Pockit. I like the small footprint, and it goes to 55 pounds. I am hopeful my tall DD will be able to use it a couple of years.

I decided a stroller was best for us. I just don’t think she will make it long if she walked.

Late to this thread but I think you made a good choice. The Pockit is nice and small so it won’t overwhelm you on transportation but has a nice high weight limit.

My daughter has been to WDW at 4 & 5 and while she would NEVER use a stroller at home at those ages, she did hop in the double at WDW with her little brother. It was especially nice to have a spot for her to sit and have a snack when we couldn’t find a bench or a table, etc.

My children are all on the large side and I just wanted to say, from our experience, you can operate a little above the weight limit as long as you are not doing it on a regular basis (like daily). And even a kid slightly too tall will curl up and make it work when tired!

Jogging strollers all seem to accommodate more weight and the city- mini style ones seem to accommodate more height plus they fold easy. Watch the resale market - we scored a used Citi Mini at Habitat for $35 and our Britax B-Agile double was a $100 Craigslist find. We also have a BOb jogger found on clearance at Target. My 5 year old (55 lbs) and 3 year old (45 lbs) both fit in all these.

For a 4 year old, GET THE STROLLER. You won't regret it. Could you go without one? Sure. Will you regret it at times? Probably. Last summer my older DS had just turned 5. We rented a double city mini GT (I believe that's what it was called) for he and his younger brother who had just turned 3. My older guy never napped anymore, but he fell asleep in the stroller at Disney a couple of times. On a few occasions he and I went to parks together while DH and DS3 stayed behind. I didn't take a stroller for him. He managed, but I definitely got some complaints about the walk being long. You know when I missed the stroller the most?! When Splash Mountain came back up after being closed and I wished we could move faster across MK to get in line before the line built up! LOL. DS5's legs just weren't as fast as mine and boy did I notice how slowly we were moving. Ha! I would rent one. No need to buy a stoller for a child that old unless you plan on having another in the future. Renting is easy and if if you only use the stroller a couple times, it's worth paying a few extra $ not to have to store it in your garage, pack it in your car to take to the airport, etc.

I see the OP got a stroller, but for anyone else...
I used a Maclaren Sherpa stroller. They are amazing. They fold umbrella stroller style and have a built-in strap to sling it over your shoulder when you are in places where it has to be folded. It weighs 11 lbs and has a 55 lb limit. Very maneuverable and easy to push. Retails for only $89. When I was done with mine I sold it at a garage sale for $50.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter