Big $$$ for putting wedding announcements in newspaper

Earstou

DIS Veteran
Wow, I just found out the cost for putting a wedding announcement in our newspaper. Here are the charges:

ONE-COLUMN-WIDE ARTICLE AND PHOTO:
$2.42 per column line of text -- this is for an article that is 1 column wide.
A line usually contains four or five words.
$40.90 to run a photo that will be 1 column wide -- approximately wallet-size -- in the newspaper.

I have to submit the information and photo, the editor writes the article, merges it with the photo into their system, THEN tells me how much it will cost! Ouch!
Think I can find a discount code for this, lol???

Thats crazy. When I got married it was free. :confused3 Guess I am showing my age here. :rolleyes1

I had no idea they charge you for this now.

By the way, Congratulations.

Thanks, but I should have said it's for my dd!

When I got married, it was free, too. I think these prices are just crazy, I had no idea. I'm surprised anyone puts their announcements in! I already told dd we would do it, so I don't feel like I can back down now.

Our local newspapers now charges for wedding announcements, as well as for engagement announcements, and even obituaries! It is very expensive. Up until about five years ago, it was still free for all three.

My G&G died three years ago (within 8 months of one another) and unless we wanted name, date of birth/date of death, and funeral/viewing times only we had to pay (per line I believe, kind of like you pay when putting a classified in). I do see the really small ones at times (rarely), but most people pay to get loved ones, education, spouse, work history, ect... put in.

I guess (when getting married) it is now a cost that has to "budgeted in"... when we were married (nearly 20 years ago) you could even include great detail of your dress and bouquet, at no cost! :rotfl: Gees... times have changed!

It seems to vary by newspaper here in NJ. When my husband and I got married 2 and a half years ago there were a few papers we were going to put the engagement and wedding announcments in. All were free except one, and the one that wasn't free would have been $150-200 EACH! So we only put it in the papers that didn't charge. I couldn't beleive how many were in the other paper every week after I found out how expensive it was.

We put our engagement announcment in the paper, which was free, but we totally forgot to put our wedding announcment in! I figure we'll have a big party for our 10th anniversary and submit something then...as long as it's free! Half the people I know who got married when I did are now divorced, so I guess 10 years is a pretty big deal!

It was expensive when DH and I got married (6 yrs ago), so we didn't do the engagement or wedding announcement.
I figured that everyone who needed to know about it already did, because they were coming to the wedding :)
But I remember being shocked at the price...

I just checked out of curiosity (well, that and DD is getting married in June :laughing: ). Our local, small town paper is free. The paper in the neighboring larger town charges $15. I think we can handle that! ;)

It wasn't important to us to have an announcement in our paper, but it was to DH's parents. I called around and it was at least $100 for one day!!! On top of all the other wedding expenses, this went in the "not happening" column. Dh's parents put an announcement in their paper and sent copies to us since we live in another state.

I saw a post on a wedding message board for one of the Chicago newspapers doing an article on interesting wedding proposals. I submitted our story and we were published the next day...for free! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!